Opinions on pickups

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have to add my 2 cents here. I've had several Ford's with 460's.All 4 Wheel Drives.They will pull a house down, but I can tell you if you are into any type of fuel economy, throw it out the window.A 460 with a properly geared axle, will out pull a 350 anyday.BUT I'll guarantee you, that 350 can not begin to ousuck the fuel the 460 needs to run a load down the hiway.A 350, is probably the most efficient small block ever made.If memory serves me correct, I had an 87 F350, w/4spd. tranny, got 6 MPG rain or shine loaded, and sold off a 97 F250, injected, got 10-12 MPG loaded.IMHO, Diesels, and Manual tranny's are the only way to go.

Avery, that's about enough. Your language, once again is unacceptable.Frenchie is a heck of guy, and you owe him a major apology.You are bringing yourself to the level of worm feces. Grow up and act like an adult here.I know for fact I aint the only one here feeling this way.Respect your elders.

agcntry
Why such big trucks just to hay? 1/2 ton 4x4's will do most chores like that just fine.

Wilson_Cattle_Company
Your outta line. And a poor rep for your Fathers business.

I don't know anything about the little wannabe cowboy 'Avery Wilson* except he has as dirty a mouth as any one I have every heard talk. I seriously doubt that if he uses the kind of language around his mother as he uses on this board she definitely wouldn't let him kiss her. As far as I am concerned and I speak for many others that have PM'ed me he can stay off these Cattle Today boards until he can clean up his language and show respect for others on here.

frenchie":zix3toou said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":zix3toou said:
frenchie":zix3toou said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":zix3toou said:
FORD for a work truck.
Chevy for town CAR!!

Wilson Cattle Companys own words....03 f-350 4x4 dually purchaced in late 02 was back in shop with "computer trouble" 2 weeks later. Happend again a couple months later.

05 f-350 4x4 dually

got in early 05 in shop 3 weeks later. ford said had bad batch of injectors {SP??} 3 times that happened. Ford would not let dealership replace ALL injectors beens there was a BAD BATCH. Had to replace 1 at a time. Truck was in shop 3 times for injectors.
Oil pump after that.
Transmission (AUTO) after that. something flew apart. brad said he wanted new tranny or new pickup.
Ford needs to get their sh@$ together.

Neighbor just bought 05 duramax dually 4x4 early this year and has had no trouble yet.

NO dodge drivers in this part of the country. People with brains started getting chevys and there are more chevy drivers around here. Everytime I go to the co-op there is a new chevy sitting in the parking lot it seems like.

Hopefully I will have a duramax one day!

Frenchie,

Been in france for last decade?? :lol:

Sonny boy ..You can kiss my ass

I express colossal remorse if I did disrespect anyone. There is no justification for my verbal communication I do concur with that. I do consider what "Frenchie" articulated in his post was most distasteful and immoral. I was signifying dry humor and perceptibly it was taken personally by "Frenchie" Be it known that it was not my intent to exasperate anyone in my previous post. If I am attacked vociferously by anyone I will make a counter statement regardless of whom it is I am conversing with. If you were attacked would you not retort? Please know that I am not submitting justification on my behalf. I am just making a basic inquiry. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":11chqlqb said:
If you were attacked would you not retort?

Avery, I would depending on the situation.

I think I speak for most everyone here, You need to just kick back and relax for a spell. Set here and unwind a touch. Visit with us, don't come out lookin' for a fight.

Most of us come here to visit with good folk that we enjoy chatting with but can't "see" everyday.

Frenchie is a good man. One of many great men and women on these boards. Sit back and get to know us before you start deciding to call one of us out. Because as you can see, you call one of us...you are gonna have the whole town on your behind right quick.

certherfbeef":1mu14yp9 said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":1mu14yp9 said:
If you were attacked would you not retort?

Frenchie is a good man. One of many great men and women on these boards. Sit back and get to know us before you start deciding to call one of us out. Because as you can see, you call one of us...you are gonna have the whole town on your behind right quick.

The majority here would put Ditto to that comment. Myself included.

I have a 13 year old son that could contribute to this site. He is pretty cowsmart. I won't allow him to view this site because of some of the Language.

It's a shame your choices in the trucks are gas jobs. Seems like the big arguments are related to fuel economy, which stinks on any gas job you tow with. I've been a Ford man all my life, still not ready to change. But even I can admit that the older Chevy's with a small block are difficult to match by any other breed in those model years. The Ford is obviously stiffer because it is a 1 ton. But gas mileage just doesn't get any worse than a 460. Another point, seems like you could dang near get parts at 7-11 if it was a small block Chevy. Tough choice. I'd probably take option three; ditch both of them and look for a 1 ton Ford diesel. Even if it's an old 6.9 non-turbo. Chevy fans have no argument when it comes to that. Ford started the deal and is way out front ever since.

frenchie":1bellp29 said:
greenwillowherefords":1bellp29 said:
frenchie":1bellp29 said:
greenwillowherefords":1bellp29 said:

The Ford 460 will outlast and outpull the 350 Chevy on a regular basis. For less money in this case. Probably do better on fuel in these conditions.

Well it should out pull it G.W . As far as fuel comsumption you are dreaming.

Come on Frenchie, look at the subject carefully. A 460 with the five-speed especially is going to do as good or better IN THOSE CONDITIONS, those conditions being pulling heavy loads. When you put a heavy load behind a small block and a big block, the small block's fuel efficiency is erased, and sometimes even overcome. The 460 doesn't have to work as hard. The reason (other than I'm a Ford man) that I said go with the 460 is that he said he was going to be working the truck towing. As you said, the 460 SHOULD out pull it. Since pulling is the purpose of getting the truck, he should get the truck that will pull best of the two. I've no axe to grind with you, just still think I'm right. :)

Greenwillow I have owned trucks with both motors.... :lol:

As I said your dreaming. 460, s are not cheap on fuel.

I've owned two 460's. One got 9, one got up to 14-15 on the highway. It had a 3:55 rear end. It gets 6-7 towing a twenty foot trailer that has 8.5 ft inside height, loaded with cabinetry. I didn't say they were cheap on fuel. Do you really think that a 350 that is loaded to the hilt is going to do better than 8 or 9?

BTW, the old 454 could drink just as thirsty as the 460. My Dad had one. 5-6 mpg towing.

greenwillowherefords":1w8ru3r4 said:
Since pulling is the purpose of getting the truck, he should get the truck that will pull best of the two. I've no axe to grind with you, just still think I'm right. :)

I missed where he was going to replace his diesel with this truck as his main means of towing. Thought he was going to put a bale bed on the truck or use it for hunting.

Maybe it got deleted ... I was wrong .... or you were.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":1au8a1fm said:
frenchie":1au8a1fm said:
frenchie":1au8a1fm said:
FORD for a work truck.
Chevy for town CAR!!

Wilson Cattle Companys own words....03 f-350 4x4 dually purchaced in late 02 was back in shop with "computer trouble" 2 weeks later. Happend again a couple months later.

05 f-350 4x4 dually

got in early 05 in shop 3 weeks later. ford said had bad batch of injectors {SP??} 3 times that happened. Ford would not let dealership replace ALL injectors beens there was a BAD BATCH. Had to replace 1 at a time. Truck was in shop 3 times for injectors.
Oil pump after that.
Transmission (AUTO) after that. something flew apart. brad said he wanted new tranny or new pickup.
Ford needs to get their sh@$ together.

Neighbor just bought 05 duramax dually 4x4 early this year and has had no trouble yet.

NO dodge drivers in this part of the country. People with brains started getting chevys and there are more chevy drivers around here. Everytime I go to the co-op there is a new chevy sitting in the parking lot it seems like.

Hopefully I will have a duramax one day!

Frenchie,

Been in france for last decade?? :lol:

Sonny boy ..You can kiss my ass

I express colossal remorse if I did disrespect anyone. There is no justification for my verbal communication I do concur with that. I do consider what "Frenchie" articulated in his post was most distasteful and immoral. I was signifying dry humor and perceptibly it was taken personally by "Frenchie" Be it known that it was not my intent to exasperate anyone in my previous post. If I am attacked vociferously by anyone I will make a counter statement regardless of whom it is I am conversing with. If you were attacked would you not retort? Please know that I am not submitting justification on my behalf. I am just making a basic inquiry. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Whatever Avery.....DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND GET LOST

G.W..I've owned two 460's. One got 9, one got up to 14-15 on the highway. It had a 3:55 rear end. It gets 6-7 towing a twenty foot trailer that has 8.5 ft inside height, loaded with cabinetry. I didn't say they were cheap on fuel. Do you really think that a 350 that is loaded to the hilt is going to do better than 8 or 9?

BTW, the old 454 could drink just as thirsty as the 460. My Dad had one. 5-6 mpg towing

Hey I had quite a few 350,s .One in particular was absolutely the best truck I ever owned.And was a better truck then the fords with the 460,s. Not only would it pull the balls off a rhino .It got almost 30 miles to the gallon

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3k16u0b2 said:
Again, I am sorry .

This much I agree with. Typed by your own little fingers too.

Please take frenchies advice.

frenchie":o0x8p2r6 said:
G.W..I've owned two 460's. One got 9, one got up to 14-15 on the highway. It had a 3:55 rear end. It gets 6-7 towing a twenty foot trailer that has 8.5 ft inside height, loaded with cabinetry. I didn't say they were cheap on fuel. Do you really think that a 350 that is loaded to the hilt is going to do better than 8 or 9?

BTW, the old 454 could drink just as thirsty as the 460. My Dad had one. 5-6 mpg towing

Hey I had quite a few 350,s .One in particular was absolutely the best truck I ever owned.And was a better truck then the fords with the 460,s. Not only would it pull the balls off a rhino .It got almost 30 miles to the gallon

At the cabinet shop where I worked for about 10 years, we went from box trucks to pickups and Wells Cargo trailers for delivery. Much easier loading and unloading with the trailers. We had two trailers and two pickups. One was the Ford 460 I sold to my boss for the purpose. The other was his 350 Chevy. The 350 had 3.73 rear ratio. The Ford had 3.55. The Ford, as it should, pulled much better although it had twice as many miles.(190,000 when I sold it, over 200,000 now) The Chevy got 6-9 mpg towing, the Ford got 6-7.

Could it be that the assembly plants that supply the area of Canada where you live have some quality problems? Because the experiences with Fords where I live are totally different than you describe. We have plants in the midwest that a lot of our trucks come from.

Just this morning, I was at the church for a workday. Another member and I had the dubious privilege of crawling under the church and capping an old gas line that once led to the old parsonage(now gone). But I digress.

Sitting in the church parking lot was my '94 Ranger with 212,000+ miles on the original powertrain with nothing major but a clutch job at 165K. Sitting next to it was my pastor's F150 300 inline six with 216,000 miles on his original powertrain with nothing but a clutch at 175K. Ours is a small church, and he builds pole barns to earn his living. He tows every day. He has stated in the past that some of his co-workers with 3/4 tons refuse to hook on to some of the loads he has pulled. A cousin had an '88 Chevy 350 that was babied and never worked, and it had a new engine at 80 some thousand miles. I know all 350's aren't like that, and many of my friends have had great success with them. I'm just saying that anecdotal evidence can lead to a lot of conclusions. I have heard from mechanics that the 350 has a weakness in the intake manifold gasket, and my friends' experience has confirmed that. Weaknesses like that show up when you have the prolonged summer temperatures we have down here.

greenwillowherefords":1k3g57tq said:
frenchie":1k3g57tq said:

At the cabinet shop where I worked for about 10 years, we went from box trucks to pickups and Wells Cargo trailers for delivery. Much easier loading and unloading with the trailers. We had two trailers and two pickups. One was the Ford 460 I sold to my boss for the purpose. The other was his 350 Chevy. The 350 had 3.73 rear ratio. The Ford had 3.55. The Ford, as it should, pulled much better although it had twice as many miles.(190,000 when I sold it, over 200,000 now) The Chevy got 6-9 mpg towing, the Ford got 6-7.

Could it be that the assembly plants that supply the area of Canada where you live have some quality problems? Because the experiences with Fords where I live are totally different than you describe. We have plants in the midwest that a lot of our trucks come from.

Just this morning, I was at the church for a workday. Another member and I had the dubious privilege of crawling under the church and capping an old gas line that once led to the old parsonage(now gone). But I digress.

Sitting in the church parking lot was my '94 Ranger with 212,000+ miles on the original powertrain with nothing major but a clutch job at 165K. Sitting next to it was my pastor's F150 300 inline six with 216,000 miles on his original powertrain with nothing but a clutch at 175K. Ours is a small church, and he builds pole barns to earn his living. He tows every day. He has stated in the past that some of his co-workers with 3/4 tons refuse to hook on to some of the loads he has pulled. A cousin had an '88 Chevy 350 that was babied and never worked, and it had a new engine at 80 some thousand miles. I know all 350's aren't like that, and many of my friends have had great success with them. I'm just saying that anecdotal evidence can lead to a lot of conclusions. I have heard from mechanics that the 350 has a weakness in the intake manifold gasket, and my friends' experience has confirmed that. Weaknesses like that show up when you have the prolonged summer temperatures we have down here.

I don,t know G.W my Chev was made In Texas..And it has not had nothing done to it.It has almost 300,000 miles on it.

And speaking of 300 inline fords my brother has one that outlived his truck.

Until the big brute expensive diesels came along, the 300 inline 6 was the most dependable and hardest working engine they offered.

Frenchie, what I'm wondering is where were the Fords made that you didn't have good success with?

Your Chevy was made in Texas, but lives in Canada. Many Chevys down here are made in Canada!

I'm one who misses the 300 six. I owned a '75 F100. Sold it to my father in law, who hauled watermelons with it. His friend was hauling watermelons with a '77-78 era Chevy 350. The six cylinder was a three on the tree, the V8 was an auto. They hauled together. Believe it or not, the six cylinder walked off and left the V8 when they were both loaded. Father in law would have the back bumper nearly dragging the ground. :lol: The inline six cylinder design is best for torque. That's why the Cummins is such an over-achiever.

greenwillowherefords":3ghr528a said:
Frenchie, what I'm wondering is where were the Fords made that you didn't have good success with?

What would it matter :?: They are the only Fords available to me. or are you suggesting I travel 2400 miles to get a real Ford :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts