Recommendations on buying new no-till drill

Help Support CattleToday:

RustyTub

Reaction score
I'd appreciate the groups recommendations on small farm no till drills for use in putting in winter time grazing cover crops. I've seen them priced really inexpensive and really expensive and would like something in between.

Probably depends on what dealers are close to you.

The rental fleets around here use Vermeer and Great Plains. The Vermeer's don't use a coulter wheel so I suspect they will have a tougher time in hard ground, but the one time we used one it worked fine.

Great Plains have a goofy drive disconnect clutch setup that I have to adjust on pretty much every unit we've rented. Otherwise have worked well for us.

I have heard JD's with the 2pt hitch are pretty slick, never ran or been around one so can't really comment.

I'd appreciate the groups recommendations on small farm no till drills for use in putting in winter time grazing cover crops. I've seen them priced really inexpensive and really expensive and would like something in between.
For grazing cover crops, ask your local NRCS about practice 810, Annual Forages for Grazing Systems. In other words, get paid for growing your own feed.

How big of a tractor are you using? What type of terrain?For a true no till drill like a Haybuster/Vermeer, you need something with some weight to it to keep from being pushed around on hills. Or are you talking more along the lines of a food plot planter? Around here, the Haybuster 107 10' drill is by far the most popular

Probably depends on what dealers are close to you.

The rental fleets around here use Vermeer and Great Plains. The Vermeer's don't use a coulter wheel so I suspect they will have a tougher time in hard ground, but the one time we used one it worked fine.

Great Plains have a goofy drive disconnect clutch setup that I have to adjust on pretty much every unit we've rented. Otherwise have worked well for us.

I have heard JD's with the 2pt hitch are pretty slick, never ran or been around one so can't really comment.
I just seeded a couple hundred acres with a GP drill, not sure the clutch thing you're referring to. I find them very simple to operate., but it was an older unit.

I just seeded a couple hundred acres with a GP drill, not sure the clutch thing you're referring to. I find them very simple to operate., but it was an older unit.

It disengages the meters when you raise the drill, so it isn't dropping seed when you turn around for the next pass. Might be that most people don't care, I prefer not to waste seed, every one I borrowed needed adjustment to work properly.

I prefer those that use a drop wheel to drive the meters but it's not a huge deal.

The one I used had the normal drive wheels. Once you raise the drill the wheels quit turning and the drive stops turning. It was a 2020 model number not sure what year.

I have had just about as much success planting oats and rye grass just by using the old style conventional type drills like the John Deer B series. Graze it hard or shred it close, use a cultipacker or a roller to press the seed down, pray for rain.

How big of a tractor are you using? What type of terrain?For a true no till drill like a Haybuster/Vermeer, you need something with some weight to it to keep from being pushed around on hills. Or are you talking more along the lines of a food plot planter? Around here, the Haybuster 107 10' drill is by far the most popular
It will shove a big tractor around on out steep hills.

I don't have much experience yet with the no till drills, but it seems to me John Deere's drills are very good. I've only had mine for a season so hopefully the so called experts are right.

I would pull it with a 50hp Mahindra on smooth terrain. The food plot planters are by far the least expensive. When they are on an ag dealers lot the price jumps dramatically. The food plot, even with as small as they are is probably what I need what with as little pasture it would get used on. The county NRCS used to have equipment to rent, but they have since gotten rid of everything.

I would pull it with a 50hp Mahindra on smooth terrain. The food plot planters are by far the least expensive. When they are on an ag dealers lot the price jumps dramatically. The food plot, even with as small as they are is probably what I need what with as little pasture it would get used on. The county NRCS used to have equipment to rent, but they have since gotten rid of everything.
A 50hp tractor won't handle much of a true no-till. A 6' Great Plains will max it out. A power seeder may be a viable option or the food plot type. It would probably handle an old 10-12' grain drill and I bet that would plant most anything you want especially if you wait for the ground to be right. If I wanted width that would be what I was shopping for.

I agree with staying less than 6'. We pull a 7' esch no till with a Massey 4707 and I think a smaller tractor would struggle. Not because of hp but because of weight.

4D40EC2B-1905-43AE-AFCC-6F7E934E48B5.jpegIf your like me, price plays a big part on everything. I looked into a no till drill. I couldn't find one under $5k. I found this old school drill for $900. I've used it to put wheat and rye in. I put in 10 acres on top of a summer grass field. It did ok and allowed the cattle some food for winter. I only put 40 pounds an acre since I seeded into a summer patch. I put in a 25 acre wheat field with it. 100 pounds an acre on plowed dirt. It worked great. Not a bad thing to consider for $900.

That was 2 years ago, this year we went big and I put wheat in an acre field, 25 acre field, 10 acre field and a 57 acre field. This old thing is awesome. My neighbor is in his 70's an laughed at me because he used one when he was a kid. He explained there was an easier and faster way but I explained it cost to much for me.

Good luck. Hope you find something for you. Just thought I would share my experience with a "non" no-till. It's not as good but it has worked for me. As of now, I have seeded about 85 acres into summer pastures and it's working. Only complaint I have is it doesn't have the grass box to plant clover but clover rarely grows here anyways.

Again good luck

Latest posts