Baler recommendations wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

I have an no frills 458 standard baler that is an absolute hay eater. Twine tie and no monitor. It only plugs when I do something stupid.

I assume you have your ground speed and pto speed matched up, usually that's the culprit when mine plugs. Netwrap sounds nice but I sure do see a lot of folks having trouble out of it.

I've been seeing a good bit of new/newer vemeer balers that have caught fire. Seems they all have issues.

My neighbor has a krone fixed chamber that makes perfect bales every dang time, and theyre heavy. If I was buying again I'd look at one of them.

Howdy all,

Yesterday was the day that made me want to get rid of my baler. I bought a new JD459e back in 2019 when I started this cattle adventure, and I've come to the conclusion it's time to kick my baler to the curb. It's (at times) a good little baler, and if your windrow is just right it can make a nice bale. But usually it's a nightmare!

I don't think I've gone out more than once or twice where it didn't give me trouble in the 4 years I've had it. The pickup just begs to be plugged every dang time. It seems like it finds new ways and places to plug. Of course if I it isn't plugging up, the net wrap (JD brand wrap btw) is snagging and tearing on something-never from the same places consistently. I've learned how to baby it and usually get my hay up with only one or two incidents-but this is driving me nuts. I don't put up much hay, only 2-300 bales a year (baler only has 1250ish bales), but I am so sick of dealing with a headache every time I go out to work. Yesterday I had hay somehow wrap around the inner roller of the pickup without breaking the shear bolt (and I was watching) but it didn't seem like a clog from what I could see in the cab. Still, grass hanging out in one place for more than a few seconds makes me nervous with this machine-so I shut off the pto to check it out. I had a drive belt nearly on fire when I opened up the side cover 😖. But I digress…

I need a baler that will flat out eat a thick windrow, isn't prone to wrapping or clogging, and that if there is an issue can be resolved fairly easily.

I won't be getting another Deere (while I acknowledge that perhaps their more expensive machines may be great-dealer support is practically non existent), so I'm left with Kuhn, Vermeer, or Kubota. My Kubota dealer is A-1 and sells Vermeer so I'm inclined to lean more towards a Vermeer. I have a Kuhn rake and Tedder I bought new a couple of years ago, and they've been trouble free so I can't speak to what dealer support would be like.

Recommendations are appreciated!
I would reccomend a vermeer over a Kubota. I've had both. I currently have a Kubota. I don't think I'd buy another one. It is far too picky, the operational process is complicated. It will make a super tight bale if everything is going well but the Vermeer is much more forgiving and simple.I don't know if I'd get their "Rebel" series, I'd step up a level

Thanks for the replies y'all.

As far as how sharp my pencil is, the truth is it's likely dull. But when I bought my hay equipment I ended up buying all new stuff with the expectation it would last 30 plus years (it's all paid for btw)-which in that case would pencil out looking long term, or should. I like having the security of making hay in years where it's scarce. Considering we haven't had rain in a month this is going to be one of those years here (again-last year was too). I didn't plan on replacing the baler ever (especially not this soon). I had considered at the outset just buying hay, and that may have been the smarter thing, but I'm in too deep I think to get out at this point.

I bale exclusively on property owned by others, where they just want fields or waterways cut, I've got no money in the ground I hay. Typically the hay is pretty good too. I have one place that is beginning to peter out, and that clearly needs testing and amending; however, that's the only place I cut on shares and am not sure if I'll keep cutting it. That just depends on if the landowners and I can come to an agreement on cost-sharing. I'm fortunate, people here don't raise cattle like they did 20 years ago, and that has left a lot of hay ground that folks don't want to farm, but just want clean looking. That means I end up with a bunch of small places to cut, which gets old, but the bales add up.

Everyone's advice is solid: but after 4 years of learning my balers quirks and how to best bale with it-watching ground speed/pto speed; starting slow in the windrow and speeding up, etc., this has just proven to be a difficult baler. I didn't know what I was doing four years ago when I got it, but even granting a two year learning curve, I can say with confidence at this point this seems to have more issues than most balers.

I don't know y'all, tough to know what to do. All I know is that I'm through with this particular baler!

As if mind reading, the local JD dealer sent out a hay-days postcard for a demo of hay equipment at the end of the month. I guess I'll check it out and check out some local dealers and take it from there.

If I was really smart, I'd have just become a stocker operation and not worry about hay at all and take the winters off!

*edited for spelling

Thanks for the replies y'all.

As far as how sharp my pencil is, the truth is it's likely dull. But when I bought my hay equipment I ended up buying all new stuff with the expectation it would last 30 plus years (it's all paid for btw)-which in that case would pencil out looking long term, or should. I like having the security of making hay in years where it's scarce. Considering we haven't had rain in a month this is going to be one of those years here (again-last year was too). I didn't plan on replacing the baler ever (especially not this soon). I had considered at the outset just buying hay, and that may have been the smarter thing, but I'm in too deep I think to get out at this point.

I bale exclusively on property owned by others, where they just want fields or waterways cut, I've got no money in the ground I hay. Typically the hay is pretty good too. I have one place that is beginning to peter out, and that clearly needs testing and amending; however, that's the only place I cut on shares and am not sure if I'll keep cutting it. That just depends on if the landowners and I can come to an agreement on cost-sharing. I'm fortunate, people here don't raise cattle like they did 20 years ago, and that has left a lot of hay ground that folks don't want to farm, but just want clean looking. That means I end up with a bunch of small places to cut, which gets old, but the bales add up.

Everyone's advice is solid: but after 4 years of learning my balers quirks and how to best bale with it-watching ground speed/pto speed; starting slow in the windrow and speeding up, etc., this has just proven to be a difficult baler. I didn't know what I was doing four years ago when I got it, but even granting a two year learning curve, I can say with confidence at this point this seems to have more issues than most balers.

I don't know y'all, tough to know what to do. All I know is that I'm through with this particular baler!

As if mind reading, the local JD dealer sent out a hay-days postcard for a demo of hay equipment at the end of the month. I guess I'll check it out and check out some local dealers and take it from there.

If I was really smart, I'd have just become a stocker operation and not worry about hay at all and take the winters off!

*edited for spelling
When cows get up like I think they will, I'm moving away from the cow calf thing. I expect it to be next year though assuming rains return.

We bale half of what we use, buy the other half. I definitely have more in the stuff we make. But it is certainly higher feed quality than what my price range affords me.

This year I was fortunate to lock down 200 rolls for $40 a roll. I suspect he will be able to get more than that out of it no problem by the time 2nd cut is done. Been a bad bad bad year for forage growth...again.

You might be able to upgrade with a downgrade it sounds like 😃 , and leave some dollars in your pocket. I wonder if baler tech is getting too complicated.

it
You might be able to upgrade with a downgrade it sounds like 😃 , and leave some dollars in your pocket. I wonder if baler tech is getting too complicated.
It certainly sounds like it. Seems like something has to be wrong, but you'd be smart to just trade it or sell it outright and buy something cheaper yet more reliable. My old Vermeer SI has never even thought of plugging. I suppose it will one day, but I've rolled some monsterous wind rows and it sucks it right up.

If you haven't plugged your round baler (or square baler for that matter) then you aren't pushing it. Mine would never plug at 3mph I'm sure, but running 10mph in heavy hay and things happen quick.

I don't care what brand you buy, don't go with their economy version - which is what you currently have.

We have always owned Vermeer balers and I have no issues with them other than scarcity of dealers in our area. Currently have a 604M and it's a monster of a baler, and pulls like it. Only complaint is that it is sensitive to belt condition, it came to me with relatively slick belts in it and would plug fairly easy. I put a new set of Mini-Rough Top's on it and you have to work to plug it now. Vertical chamber balers rely on the belt traction to carry the hay up and flip it in the chamber for the start of the roll.

I'd like to have a second baler so I can sleep a little better at night when there's a bunch of hay on the ground. Probably going to be a xx7 or xx8 series JD baler, just because of the simplicity and parts availability. Plus I've never owned a JD baler and I'd like to try one, and I'm not getting any younger.

I have had NH and Vermeer, and both are good. A lot around here are using Kubota and John Deeres and seem to have good luck. Probably a few adjustments and your JD baler should work. I put all new OEM teeth in my Vermeer M baler last fall and it made a difference. Teeth condition and teeth angle adjustment are important.

Last edited:
I sold all my equipment in 2011 I had 46 dollars a roll in hay with all the inputs. That was with 200 dollar a ton fertilizer.
It was cheaper to buy the hay from custom balers.
I can haul hay for a long way for the cost of the equipment plus upkeep.
I can't understand how I am buying great fescue, no weeds, $35 a roll.
It has to cost $30 a roll + his time !!!.
He take excellent care of his fields.

My biggest gripe with Vermeer is how they sell parts. Dealer only, can't even view the diagrams. Can't order so much as a lug nut online.

For CNH, Massey, Kubota, JD, I can look up any diagram and any part that I may need, and the price and availability. If the dealer doesn't have it, one click and it's on the way, no later than the dealer can get it most of the time. Dealers around here are few and far between, and often less than helpful so I don't like to rely on them.

I've glanced at Vermeer but since the dealer is 200 miles and 4 hours away and you can't so much as lookup parts online they are a hard pass from me. They could have the best product in the world but if I can't even lookup my own parts then it has no place on my farm.

My biggest gripe with Vermeer is how they sell parts. Dealer only, can't even view the diagrams. Can't order so much as a lug nut online.

For CNH, Massey, Kubota, JD, I can look up any diagram and any part that I may need, and the price and availability. If the dealer doesn't have it, one click and it's on the way, no later than the dealer can get it most of the time. Dealers around here are few and far between, and often less than helpful so I don't like to rely on them.
Every piece of Vermeer hay equipment I've ever owned has either came with a really nice parts manual, an operator's manual and a maintenance manual, or you could call the factory with your serial number if bought used and they would send you all of those for free. I've had multiple dealers drop ship parts to my house if they weren't in stock, but do wish there was a way to order parts online after hours. Like you, I want to be able to look up the part numbers myself - specially if the person behind the parts counter is under 40 years of age...

IMG_4340.jpeg
Well an update to my post of a couple of months ago…

I did go baler shopping and decided after pricing out balers at my usual dealer that I just couldn't afford one. Historically they've treated me right and I always try to give them my business.

Then a month ago my old bush hog gave up the ghost so I was shopping for a rotary mower. The story is a bit too long to post but I stopped back by my preferred dealer and felt that the guy wasn't being honest about a demo bush hog they had, left a bad taste in my mouth. So…. I stopped at a dealer I hadn't used before, and talked with the sales manager (whom I was in the FFA with over 25 years ago), and made a deal on a mower. Just for the heck of it I priced out a baler, trading in my old one, exactly like the one I looked at from my usual dealer. Was able to buy one for 7k less than my first quote. So I said I'd take it.

My first dealer said there wasn't any wiggle room on the price of their baler, absolutely none.

When my new dealer delivered it yesterday I saw that this is the EXACT same baler I was looking at from my first dealer's lot-still even had their decals 😂. It pays to shop around!!! Guess my former preferred dealer will remain my former preferred dealer, and I've got a new go-to place for my equipment needs!

Latest posts