BALER TRACTOR

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking to pick up a tractor for pulling a JD456 Silage Special round baler and a manure spreader. I only make about 200 4 by 5's/year and spread maybe 1500 yards of manure a year, so it wouldn't get a massive amount of usage.

I'm looking at two now, maybe three. One is a good shape JD2950/cab/4WD/no loader. The other is a JD5525/cab/4WD/loader. Both have about 4000 hours. The last is a JD 5420/4wd/cab.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks, Mike

2950 - pto hp 85 - would be my pick
5525 - pto hp 77
5420 - nope - pto hp 66 - I'd suggest 70 pto hp minimum for a JD456 SS round baler

p.s.
IF you get a skid loader, would you need the tractor to have a loader?
Skid loaders are more versatile... are you liking the way I spend Your Money? :) lol tell the wife to blame that online S-O-B

Last edited:
2950 for sure. The older 2000 and 4000 series from JD was by far some of the best tractors ever made.
Just by chance this morning talking with neighbor and reminiscing about 2 former neighbors who have passed.
He brought up the one who would always start conversations about your tractor and how many hours it had ect.
so he could then brag about his IH 806 and what a great tractor it was (everyone who had an 806 agreed they were good)
Then 6-8 years later he took a big step up and bought a JD 4640 power shift, factory cab. I remember him saying it was
the Perfect tractor. He loved it, everything in operator station laid out perfectly. A better tractor couldn't be built!
It was 2 wheel drive and now everyone has at least front wheel assist, let alone tracks. How things change.

p.s.
JD 4020 was a game changer in it's day, a big advancement over everything on the market at the time.

Last edited:
I have a 5525 and while mine has gotten off to a bit of a bumpy start all in all should be a great tractor. I think it would be my top pick for what you describe. The 2950 next. I think you will find the 5420 will be a bit underpowered.

Are you baling high moisture hay, or dry hay? If the former, I'd want the most hp I could get. If just dry hay, I'd suggest whichever one has been maintained the best.

Are you baling high moisture hay, or dry hay? If the former, I'd want the most hp I could get. If just dry hay, I'd suggest whichever one has been maintained the best.
Agreed -- if you are using the silage special for baleage I'd want the heaviest and most hp you can find. I used a 2950 as a kid and its an very good tractor. If you have any rolling to your fields I'd much prefer the heavier machine, particularly if you are doing any baleage.

I would probably go with the 29. That being said they always seemed like long nosed S.O.B.s
I have a 5425. Those 5X25 series tractors are great! Mine is open and I run it everyday. I've ran a 12' sickle type hay conditioner with it with no issues.

Thanks Fellas for all the input. I am making balage and some of my fields have a high pucker factor, so I agree having weight under my arse is a good idea. I agree with the Manheim tractors, they are good. I have an old 40 series with 9000 hrs and showing no signs of slowing down. I do have a nagging concern with the potential hydraulic issues with the 50 series. That's crucial since the 456SS requires two sets of remotes. I have "heard" that there can be issues that require splitting the tractor. That would be at the upper limit of my pay grade. I don't really have the need for skidsteer although I'm sure it'd be handy. My loader tractor is a JD5320. The 5320 will and does run the baler, but she's a bit underpowered when the bales getting big and theres a hill ahead.

High moisture, although I try to keep it 50% or a bit under. The 2950 does seem like a good match..

2950 - pto hp 85 - would be my pick
5525 - pto hp 77
5420 - nope - pto hp 66 - I'd suggest 70 pto hp minimum for a JD456 SS round baler

p.s.
IF you get a skid loader, would you need the tractor to have a loader?
Skid loaders are more versatile... are you liking the way I spend Your Money? :) lol tell the wife to blame that online S-O-B
ha ha ha. OPM (other peoples money) always fun. I don't think I have enough call for a skidsteer. I am really leaning towards the 2950 too. I have an older 40 series (9000 hours) for raking/wrapping/etc. and a 5320 for loader work.

For making high moisture bales the more power the better. Also for a baler tractor a wet clutch or shuttle is a must for longevity.

I run 180hp in front of my 4x6 cutter baler and it wet crop I can feel it back there. No way I would get any sort of productivity out of this baler with an 85hp tractor.

On the 2950 check the hydraulics out good before you buy. Distant neighbor had one and the hydraulics were an expensive problem. The 5525 sounds nice and a newer tractor.
Thanks for the input JL. What would you do to check out the hydraulics? No loader on it. I need two sets of remotes for the baler. What I was thinking is hooking up something to the remotes and see if they work, checking the hi/lo function, power steering works, etc.

Any JD guys have input as to whether the 6000 series cleared up the hydrauilc problems that plagued the 50 and 55 series? I know there is no magic wand to wave over a used tractor, but if there was, I'm sure we'd all pay dearly for it.

The 6000 series wouldn't have the same problems as they have a different hydraulic system. The big problem in the 40-55 series was the internal and external hydraulic pumps. Usually a line cracks in the tractor between the two is my understanding. Most anything after the 55 series should be all just one external pump I think. Testing the high low is good as it is my understanding that is often one of the first signs is that quits working. Remote function test also but I have been told to listen for a stutter in the hydraulics and also run it for a bit and check oil temp. That cracked line heats the oil and that is a big sign. That info is what was explained to me when I bought my 2940. Hope it helps.

Any JD guys have input as to whether the 6000 series cleared up the hydrauilc problems that plagued the 50 and 55 series? I know there is no magic wand to wave over a used tractor, but if there was, I'm sure we'd all pay dearly for it.
Seems the hydraulic issues are less on the newer tractors. I would take more of a chance on the 6000 series.

Last edited:
The 6000 series wouldn't have the same problems as they have a different hydraulic system. The big problem in the 40-55 series was the internal and external hydraulic pumps. Usually a line cracks in the tractor between the two is my understanding. Most anything after the 55 series should be all just one external pump I think. Testing the high low is good as it is my understanding that is often one of the first signs is that quits working. Remote function test also but I have been told to listen for a stutter in the hydraulics and also run it for a bit and check oil temp. That cracked line heats the oil and that is a big sign. That info is what was explained to me when I bought my 2940. Hope it helps.
Thanks SmokinM. They are such good tractors, I think it might almost be worth taking a 5-8K kick in the teeth to fix it if need be.

Latest posts