Tractor recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

GoWyo

Reaction score
I am on the rebound from rotator cuff repair in December, so the ranch Queen (wife) has been doing a lot more cow chores this winter. She thinks a new tractor would be a great thing with this cold weather streak šŸ˜. We only put maybe 200 hours per year on one. Primary use would be running a Hustler type round bale feeder, pushing snow and running a bush hog and maybe a no till drill (would have to rent one given the prices of them).

I think we would do well with a 80-125 hp FWD cab and loader. Been watching Big Iron. Quite a few sold toward end of 2023 and not many listed at the moment.

What would be your top 5 recommendations to look for in this type and size tractor? Old models or new - all options under consideration. Ideally under $40k, but the ones I have been interested in have been in the $50k range.

5525/5625 JD would be my first choice or a pre 2012 5085/5095/5105M. Even the E series JD would be fine and comparable to Case/NH, Massey and Kubota all make a nice tractor that size and would probably serve you well. I prefer the Deere because of operator station layout and parts/service availability.

5525/5625 JD would be my first choice or a pre 2012 5085/5095/5105M. Even the E series JD would be fine and comparable to Case/NH, Massey and Kubota all make a nice tractor that size and would probably serve you well. I prefer the Deere because of operator station layout and parts/service availability.
Good point about parts and service availability.

I have a 50 HP 2 WD now. It does ok most of the time chained up and a 3-point bale spear on the back for winter, but will get stuck in drifted snow and has many limitations. We are and the end of the road and nearest neighbor is 3 miles away, so we need to be self-sufficient when the SHTF. Current tractor is a Case IH 485 (1985-89 years) and it needs quite a bit of work. To handle blizzards and tough snow conditions it needs the clearance of a larger frame size and larger tires. 24" front and 34" rear rim sizes would be minimum. Want to go to a towed Hustler or Tubeline type bale feeder which would probably require at least 75-80 hp. Bigger is better to a point. Neighbor has a JD 6135E that is probably overkill here, but is a nice size platform to deal with bad weather.

ETA - looks like most of the recommended tractors are 24" front and 30" rear, which would probably work well.

Last edited:
I have a 50 HP 2 WD now. It does ok most of the time chained up and a 3-point bale spear on the back for winter, but will get stuck in drifted snow and has many limitations. We are and the end of the road and nearest neighbor is 3 miles away, so we need to be self-sufficient when the SHTF. Current tractor is a Case IH 485 (1985-89 years) and it needs quite a bit of work. To handle blizzards and tough snow conditions it needs the clearance of a larger frame size and larger tires. 24" front and 34" rear rim sizes would be minimum. Want to go to a towed Hustler or Tubeline type bale feeder which would probably require at least 75-80 hp. Bigger is better to a point. Neighbor has a JD 6135E that is probably overkill here, but is a nice size platform to deal with bad weather.
You would be so surprised at how valuable that front end is on a 4wd if you have a 2wd. you can do twice as much with the same horsepower. It doesn't cost anything to window shop. Go to your local dealer and pick his brain on what is best for what you are trying to do. You don't have to buy it. Just don't go down there like me trying to get a new shear pin, soaking wet with sweat and bleading like I just crawled through the hole in the center of a roll of barbed wire. If you do, you will leave there with a new $70,000 green hat.

If you want a little older and bigger I've got neighbors who have a JD 4450 MFWD with a JD740 loader. It's a bulldozer on wheels. I've seen them push mud with the front axle and not be able to see the draw bar for the mud. Haying cows in the spring when the frost goes out.

You would be so surprised at how valuable that front end is on a 4wd if you have a 2wd. you can do twice as much with the same horsepower. It doesn't cost anything to window shop. Go to your local dealer and pick his brain on what is best for what you are trying to do. You don't have to buy it. Just don't go down there like me trying to get a new shear pin, soaking wet with sweat and bleading like I just crawled through the hole in the center of a roll of barbed wire. If you do, you will leave there with a new $70,000 green hat.
šŸ¤  Sounds fun, but I have seen some pretty decent machines in the $40-50k range that would greatly improve my current quality of life.

If you want a little older and bigger I've got neighbors who have a JD 4450 MFWD with a JD740 loader. It's a bulldozer on wheels. I've seen them push mud with the front axle and not be able to see the draw bar for the mud. Haying cows in the spring when the frost goes out.
Sounds like a genuine cow feeding machine. Might break my little bridge across the creek.

Whatever you do, don't buy a New Holland Workmaster. A buddy of mine bought one last spring and had it stuck in low range; got it fixed last summer and this winter it got stuck in mid range. The only good thing about it is that it's still under warranty. It's not really heavy enough to handle big 3x4 square bales. It will pick them up, but you can feel the back end bounce just a bit. The cab is kind of cramped, I think it's a bit noisy. I have run it just enough to know I don't care for it.

We bought a 2015 Massey Ferguson 6615, great tractor. it is plenty heavy to handle the big bales, comfortable tractor run. I really like the direction shift and changing gears on the loader joystick, very handy. I hardly ever use the left hand reverser.

Like others have said you will really like the front wheel assist. I find it really nice to have when picking up a big bale off the top of the stack when the ground is slick.

I have a Massey 4608 that has 4wd works very well and is very simple to operate. Has plenty of power, 80horse, for anything I've come upon and handles bales very well. The only thing I wish it had was a cab. I too was looking at a hustler chainless bale processor and all the reps I talked to said the horsepower rating was not a concern for using one. The biggest issue they said was having the traction to pull it around depending on your terrain.

I would like my MF 2706 to be a little heavier. Maybe a little more speed/power with the loader. Has done everything I have asked so far.... just because it's 4wd doesn't mean it can't get stuck. Tn mud is slick with all the clay in it. Happy it has the loader....

Latest posts