Tractor clutches

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a quote this morning from a dealership. $7400. 1000 of that was transport. $ 500 each way. That's using NH parts and resurfacing I think the pressure plate ? Granted it's 60 miles one way. Regardless that's more than I can afford.

Am not sure and guess there is no way of knowing until it is tore down what for sure all of what is or isn't wrong.
Man people can rag on JD all they want about high prices, like I have said before NH is as bad or worse. Your dealer is pretty steep too at $500 to haul it 60 mi.. I personally would be looking around for a reputable independent shop. Hope you can figure something out more reasonable than that foolishness.

Man people can rag on JD all they want about high prices, like I have said before NH is as bad or worse. Your dealer is pretty steep too at $500 to haul it 60 mi.. I personally would be looking around for a reputable independent shop. Hope you can figure something out more reasonable than that foolishness.
Think I might have found one. Am probably going to have to transport it myself but I will just have to do it. Not sure my back tires are loaded but I think they are. Plan on draining them if they are. That should lighten it up some and make hauling a little easier.

Just browsing through the parts diagrams it appears that you're looking at ~$1800 just for PTO/traction clutches and the pressure plate. Their quote isn't terribly far off but still on the high side, 20ish hours of labor at $150/hr is 3k, plus 2k in parts and transport.

Found a guy that several farmers I know personally highly recommends and read reviews on his website that everyone had nothing but good things to say about him. They work on dozers and other types of equipment. Told me I would be looking at around 3,000 if it needs a new clutch. A friend is letting me borrow a trailer to transport it 77 miles. So maybe things will work out better for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Found a guy that several farmers I know personally highly recommends and read reviews on his website that everyone had nothing but good things to say about him. They work on dozers and other types of equipment. Told me I would be looking at around 3,000 if it needs a new clutch. A friend is letting me borrow a trailer to transport it 77 miles. So maybe things will work out better for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Sounds like what you need.

Ken

3000 total? Or 3000 in labor?

I would be questioning 3000 total as the parts will probably run 2000 of that. 1k in labor seems awfully cheap.

But one thing I've learned thru this forum is there are a lot of people out there that like to work for free though. Ha

I would be questioning 3000 total as the parts will probably run 2000 of that. 1k in labor seems awfully cheap.

But one thing I've learned thru this forum is there are a lot of people out there that like to work for free though. Ha
Won't know for sure until I get the bill. One thing that did surprise me was he said there is no way in Haydee's he would ever pull the cab off of a tractor to replace a clutch. Said there was other ways to replace the clutch than to have to remove the cab.

He said I would have to pay so much for the parts before they done the work. Said in the past he used a dozer job as an example. He had $ 10,000 in parts alone tied up and had to wait 7 months before he was paid for the parts and labor. So he feels that if the customer has to pay for the parts up front they have more of the dog in the fight and are more app to pay him quicker.

I have a lot of faith in him from what farmers I know first hand has told me about the work he has done for them.

I would say a thousand dollars is cheap.

Rarely ever pull a cab to change a clutch. Split in front of the cab.

Just make sure he replaces everything in there while it's apart. Check the splines on the dampner while your in there. They have a tendency to wear and get sloppy over time.

Latest posts