Tractor recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

I would like my MF 2706 to be a little heavier. Maybe a little more speed/power with the loader. Has done everything I have asked so far.... just because it's 4wd doesn't mean it can't get stuck. Tn mud is slick with all the clay in it. Happy it has the loader....
Bigger doesn't mean you won't get stuck; it means you get stuck worse.

Bigger doesn't mean you won't get stuck; it means you get stuck worse.
That can be true. Experience is the best teacher.
Used to have a JD 4320 w/ 158 loader 2wd all weather cab and a JD 6320 w/ 673 loader MFWD open station.
I could get around better with the 2wd tractor than the college kids that worked for us could with the MFWD.
Being smart like driving up hill to put a bale in a hay ring instead of coming from the top down and then trying to back uphill has saved me lots of headaches.

I like Masseys a lot more than GD. Less expensive and less complicated, more reliable, and if it does need service or parts they are less expensive.

I had a really nice 5700 with a bucket in SD. Delivered it was around 25K in 2006. It did everything I wanted and would have done more.

All the horsepower ratings have gone up since I had that one, so you might even like a 4700.

How about a good running Ford 5000 with a pair of chains for bad weather. I don't have chains on mine but it will take me anywhere I have any business trying to go. I've always thought it went better in the snow than my 6640. May be the tire width. 18.4 34 on the 6640, 15.5-38 on the 5000. Last 5000 I bought in '22 came with 16.9-30. Haven't had any snow to try it so far.
Did I mention I like 5000s ?:)

I have a MFWD Ford 5000 and it's a toy in the snow. When the snow gets deep it's so low it does a lot of plowing with the underbelly. O yeah and no cab worth a squat.

I have a Ford TW5 MFWD and a nice cab. It will always have a place here as its pretty basic and just plain works. Purely mechanical diesel and 8 speed transmission. All a guy needs is a good battery to get it running.

Have more comfortable newer tractors. And all the creature comforts (LH reverser, electric over hydraulic remotes, cab suspension, axle suspension, heated seat, etc) are wonderful, but the cost to buy all that and keep it running isn't always cheap.

I have a MFWD Ford 5000 and it's a toy in the snow. When the snow gets deep it's so low it does a lot of plowing with the underbelly. O yeah and no cab worth a squat.

I have a Ford TW5 MFWD and a nice cab. It will always have a place here as its pretty basic and just plain works. Purely mechanical diesel and 8 speed transmission. All a guy needs is a good battery to get it running.

Have more comfortable newer tractors. And all the creature comforts (LH reverser, electric over hydraulic remotes, cab suspension, axle suspension, heated seat, etc) are wonderful, but the cost to buy all that and keep it running isn't always cheap.
chevytaHOE -- is there anything to particularly problematic to stay away from in your experience? Not looking at any of the non mainline brands. Any thoughts on a Massey 4710? On the smaller end, what about the Case IH 65C?

Nothing in particular to stay away from.

One major observation is many newer utility tractors have a lot of horsepower for their relatively low weight, not unheard of to have a 100hp tractor that weights 8k lbs. They also squeeze a lot of power out of relatively small engines, often times 100+ horsepower out of 3~4L engines which lack torque and need to be reved up to make power. This gives many a false sense of their ability (you aren't going to comfortably lift 2500lbs with a tractor that only weights 8000lbs)

Compared to say my TW5 that is 100hp out of a 6.6L engine and weights just over 15k lbs. I comfortable lift 3500lbs and put the wife and kids in the tractor without a second thought.

Nothing in particular to stay away from.

One major observation is many newer utility tractors have a lot of horsepower for their relatively low weight, not unheard of to have a 100hp tractor that weights 8k lbs. They also squeeze a lot of power out of relatively small engines, often times 100+ horsepower out of 3~4L engines which lack torque and need to be reved up to make power. This gives many a false sense of their ability (you aren't going to comfortably lift 2500lbs with a tractor that only weights 8000lbs)

Compared to say my TW5 that is 100hp out of a 6.6L engine and weights just over 15k lbs. I comfortable lift 3500lbs and put the wife and kids in the tractor without a second thought.
That was a question I had. For instance the Massey 4710 is 100 HP but only has a little 3.3 liter Perkins. Probably not much issue for us because we don't do any real farming to make one grunt.

I'd think you couldn't go wrong with the John Deere 5E series or Kubota 8560/9960 or the M5 series. I've had a 9960 thats been trouble free for 7 or 8 years. I'd definitely stick with the bigger frame 85-100 hp over the slightly smaller 60-75 hp tractors. The 4wd will surprise you with how much it helps pulling or doing loader work. I used to be worried about the emissions junk but honestly haven't had any trouble out of the 9960 or the SVL 75 skid steer and the both do the regen thing.

Latest posts