Tractor Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

Define online -- like via an online auction? Craigslist? Or via a dealer? The online auction transactions have been pretty seamless. I've purchased via a dealer and negotiated fully via email and text and that worked just fine.

The JD dealers here are so large that it's pretty common to have them find a tractor at one of their sibling dealerships that may be a state or two away. I've had them send me loads of pics as it was hard to drive 8-10 hours.

I have bought online for lots of things with mostly success. I found my CaseIH 7130 on Tractorhouse; it came out of Indiana. The problem I have here in Wyoming is that when I am ready to buy something the local dealers never have what I am looking for, or they way over priced. The closest thing I have bought was four hours away(Craig Colorado); my Massey Ferguson 6615; I had drove down there to look at another tractor that I found on Tractorhouse, and few weeks later when back and bought the Massey. When buying sight unseen get loots of pictures, and take what the salesman says with a grain of salt. Sometimes you need to be able to read between the lines.

I have bought two tractors online and both turned out good. I made a low-ball bid, and I won the auction. The key for me was low hours on both. Buying high hour tractors, you better get them at a price to spend on IMO.

And at what point do you consider to be " low hours"?
If it has over 3000 hours IMO the price ought to reflect cause at that point especially with poor maintenance it can be a mechanic special (I like them under 2000 hrs or less and mostly mechanical) (If it is tier 4 rating I will pass, no interest) (if it has fresh paint no interest). I bought a Kubota M9000 online from Tyler brothers with 1224 hrs. It had sat outside most its life and looked a lot older. I have put 1200 hours on it since with an AC belt, fan belt, pto seal (5 minute job) and other than a clutch that is it. I bought a 4630 NH that Westhills had on marketplace. I went there with a printout of the listing and they wanted $2500 more than they listed it there for. I brought the printout out and showed it to the sells manager and told him I came a long way for that tractor. He huffed and puffed and let me have it for the marketplace price. It had 1238 hrs. and looks and drives like new. These are both older mostly mechanical tractors with very little electronic future surprises on them and some on here they are not big enough to cultivate with.

Tractor prices are off some I have noticed, but both tractors I am still not under water on.

Last edited:
I bought a 4630 NH that Westhills had on marketplace. I went there with a printout of the listing and they wanted $2500 more than they listed it there for. I brought the printout out and showed it to the sells manager and told him I came a long way for that tractor. He huffed and puffed and let me have it for the marketplace price. It had 1238 hrs. and looks and drives like new. These are both older mostly mechanical tractors with very little electronic future surprises on them and some on here they are not big enough to cultivate with.
I have a friend that called West Hills about an either 110hp or 120hp tractor that they said they had in stock. He asked to see it and they did the same hemming and hawing and tried to sell him another one. It turns out that they never had the tractor to begin with. I think he finally bought the one he wanted in NC.

I have a friend that called West Hills about an either 110hp or 120hp tractor that they said they had in stock. He asked to see it and they did the same hemming and hawing and tried to sell him another one. It turns out that they never had the tractor to begin with. I think he finally bought the one he wanted in NC.
Car shopping and looks like tractor/equipment shopping is no fun.

I couldn't believe the price when I ask them, but they did honor the marketplace price. It was on a Friday evening right before closing time and I wrote them a personal check. Come Monday morning about 10:30AM the truck was in front of my house unloading it. I couldn't believe they did not wait until the check cleared.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. Local dealerships Agpro never has anything of interest to me, and salespeople dont seem interested in helping me either. Bought 5 new tractors in the last 15 yrs. Merry Christmas.

Latest posts