Tractor clutches

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
What is best to put in tractors. A lot of dealers will put aftermarket, from my understanding the OEM ones are real expensive if they can even get them. I had a clutch put in a couple years ago as the original clutch lasted 2100 hours and the replacement has around 400 hours and from adjustments, so far there couldn't be much life left.

I wonder if a ceramic clutch would last longer. Since asbestos was removed from materials, clutch life has gotten less. I can live with 1500-2000 hours, but 400-500 hours is ridicules.

What machine?
Kubota....... I have a Ford tractor with more than 6000 hours on original clutch, but it probably has asbestos in it. Have clutches gotten that bad. Anybody had luck or recommendations.

Last edited:
I had a clutch put in a couple of years ago. My tractor guy was explaining the difference to me. I don't really recall, but I think he said something abour upgrading the clutch to a "hardened ceramic" clutch, but I could be totally wrong.

Dry clutches are an awful thing for a tractor, loader tractors in particular. I realize that statement is of no help but my thoughts are to never have a dry clutch in the first place is a best practice. I wonder at what hp point do wet clutches tend to become standard equipment these days?

Some more good info on clutches. A KEVLAR ®clutch materials might be good from the reading. When I have another clutch replaced, I will be giving these people and others a call.

At 400 hours I would question if it was ever adjusted properly. Possibly slipping all the time, or not releasing 100% causing it to wear quickly.

Dry clutches and loader tractors don't work well together but with proper adjustment and use 2000+ hours should be no problem.

I use Hy-Capacity brand clutches in everything I run thru my shop and have no complaints.

Currently putting the 2nd clutch in a Ford 9700 at 7500hrs, I did the last one at ~4500hrs. Tractor is used exclusively at a loader tractor for handling hay.

I'm in the same boat. M6800. 1940 hrs. Already on clutch #8. And that's through 3 different owners, so not an operator thing. My aggravation is how small the clutch is. I can drop it into a 5 gallon bucket and you can still see around it. It's 62 hp. I've got a 53hp Ford that the clutch is easily 50% larger.
One thing that was tried and did provide a small improvement. Went to a button clutch. No good for "feathering" but ok to put it in gear and leave it.

Sounds like a Kubota problem. Never seen one other than small compact yard tractors in use. Sounds like all the more reason to avoid them.

The smaller Fords 4000 and down typically use an 11" clutch. 5000-97xx series typically have a 13" disc.

Latest posts