Baler belts

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Got a NH 7060 that has about 7500 bales on it and I know it is well past time to do the lacing on it. Honestly most of the metal teeth are in great shape save one or two in the corners. My questions are do I get the lacing completely redone at a cost of $75-100 a belt or replace all belts at about $250 a piece. Other option is just replace the cable lacing in the teeth and let it go. I replaced one last year completely so would still have 5 total to do. Other thing I noticed is that the belt I replaced is noticeably rougher ( although the same texture/pattern) than the originals with all the bales on them. The baler is getting a little picky as far as feeding but I have a few teeth to replace on pickup as well so that may be my issue. Any thoughts or voices of experience here? Thanks

Replace belt pins every year regardless, pull belts and check lengths every year (they stretch!) replace pickup tines as they break. Check drive chains for tension and replace if stretched badly.
Wish the belting was that cheap in Canada!

I actually haven't had a broken pickup tooth for years. And don't have belt lacing. I like that.
But as far as replacing the lacing I would just inspect and replace those that are showing signs of tearing out. Once the belts degrade enough this starts to get to be more common and it's time to replace the belts. I also wish we could buy belts for $250 up here.

Endless belts are a wonderful thing. Haven't touched a belt in 20-30k bales.

The lacing and pin for Mato lacing are less than $20 a belt last I bought any. I bought the tool years ago for a couple hundred bucks to fix customers belts. Pays for itself real quick.

With 7500 bales I would take the belts out and cut to the same length and put new ends on. Also replace the pickup teeth needed.

I bought the flexco alligator tool and replace the ends myself with alligator laces. That was several thousand bales ago and no problem with belts since, but the one I broke when a limb got against a belt.

Everything price wise has went crazy, but about 5 years ago the price was not to bad.

You can buy the tool to redo the lacing yourself. It just takes a good large vise to crimp the metal teeth into the rubber. But if the belt material is deteriorating from age it may be just putting a bandage on it, and better to replace the belt.

One thing I do each year is replace the lacing gut, if you don't they will wear the lacing and can be hard to remove. Another thing that prolongs lacing life is using the crimp on furrule.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.png
    IMG_0451.png
    195 KB · Views: 12
That is what I have. When putting the Rivets in it is best to use a punch to make sure they are in good and flared out on the back. You need to skive the belts, so the lace fits flat.
I had an old Deere 530 that I got very efficient at installing Alligator belt repairs on. Then a 566. But when the belts get rotten whatever you do is temporary.

You can run alligator or Mato lacing on a NH BR series without problem. I've ran Mato lacing on a 6x8 series NH as well.

The alligator is better than the clipper style but not as good as Mato in my experience.

Last edited:
The alligators seem to last well in other color balers. But my personal experience in NH balers is they tend to be hard on the ends of the belts. The Mato have seemed to hold up much better in that regard.

That said all my belt splicing is for customers so I only see them after they have worn or failed. And I don't know how they are maintained or their baling habits.

Last set of belts for a deere were in excess of 1000 each, made the decision pretty east to splice and relace

Not sure how old your baler is, but I'm betting it's at the point where the belt material is starting to dry rot and deteriorate a bit. Once that happens, any style of lacing isn't going to last very long. I put a new set in my baler a few years back and it was a game changer as far as starting a bale in damp conditions. My old baler used clipper style lacing and it was a constant headache, the new one uses the Alligator style from Silver's picture above - night and day difference. Never owned a baler with the Mato setup, but it looks quite robust.

Mine came from here, nice folks: https://haytools.com/baler belts.htm

Last set of belts for a deere were in excess of 1000 each, made the decision pretty east to splice and relace
Peavy Mart in Canada has same diamond pattern belts for 55% cost of Deere. We put them on 5000 bales ago in 2022 and they are good quality.