JD 456SS_Round Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63

Reaction score
Hey Fellas', Kind of embarrasing to admit, but I can't find what I'm looking for in the 2000 page baler TM I bought two years ago.

Here's the nitty gritty. I need to remove and repack piece 24 on Tension System diagram ST417922, which is found in PC2525 of jd parts look up for 456 and 466 balers.

My concern is any tension still there. I relaxed all the hydraulics (cycled the applicable remote lever with the tractor shut down.) My thought was to disco the hydraulic hose and pull PC 24 out, repack it and put it back in. That's my thought. I've been wrong before.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks, Mike

Not familiar with that baler, but I looked in the parts book at the pages you referenced (PC2525 > ST417922).
I need to remove and repack piece 24 on Tension System diagram
I guess you're going to install a seal kit in the hydraulic cylinder.
...Parts book also shows 2 rods and 2 compression springs. Could be potential energy stored in the compression springs. If there is, some how record the amount of tension before loosening. I would count rod threads or measure the length of the spring.

Not familiar with that baler, but I looked in the parts book at the pages you referenced (PC2525 > ST417922).

I guess you're going to install a seal kit in the hydraulic cylinder.
...Parts book also shows 2 rods and 2 compression springs. Could be potential energy stored in the compression springs. If there is, some how record the amount of tension before loosening. I would count rod threads or measure the length of the spring.
Yes, piece 8 (spring) of the drawing still feels like it has some stored energy left. Thanks for the response. Counting threads sounds smart.

#8 looks like a compression spring, so it would be used to put upward pressure on the arm assembly (#1) and downward pressure on the tension arm (#30). If you look at your tension cylinder #24, it only has one hose hooked to the upper part and a breather in the bottom port (#45). That means it is only used to pull down on the arm assembly, so I'm guessing #8 keeps a constant upward pressure on the arm assembly and the cylinder is energized to overcome that pressure and pull the arm assembly down. If the upper arm assembly (#1) is fully up and the hydraulic cylinder is depressurized and can wiggle around freely, I'd feel safe pulling it off at that point. Just be aware that stored energy can kill you. And if you're not 100% comfortable, paying someone who has done it before is a helluva lot cheaper than an ER visit or a funeral.

Edited to add: I just noticed cylinder was hooked to opposite side of upper arm assembly, so scratch the above. Any way you go, I'd have to be able to wiggle that cylinder around freely before removing any retainers related to it.

Last edited:
Talked to dealer. He said just take it out. Got that input from TxJim on haytalk too. He's a wealth of knowledge for JD related stuff, IMO.

It came out slicker than goose shat.

Latest posts