Hydraulic hiccups with JD tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

cowman82

Reaction score
I bought a used '09 JD 5093 off the original owner. It has 2500 hrs on it and looks brand new. All filters and maintenance done. I got it delivered at midnight last year and started baling the next afternoon with it. When baling it was really loud opening/shutting the tailgate (hydraulic groan).. When turning the wheel it would hiccup (*wheel kinda resisting at you turn). Loader up down it would groan. etc.etc..

Well.. as I'm checking it out.. I still see they have the original hydraulic filter on there! Never changed the fluid and never cleaned the rear screen! Now I know why they sold it. With all the other maintenance the only thing I can think is that they just didn't know to do it?

Anyway.. I flushed the system, cleaned the screen and change the filter. It helped a lot. Very little groaning / hiccups but it still makes some slight hydraulic noise.

My question.. I heard a JD tech say to fill it with Kerosene and run it a bit, then flush it out.

I have put almost 250 hours on it and I'm going to change the hydraulic filter and fluid again. Do you guys think I should do a Kerosene flush and if so how should I do that? Fill it with the same amount as the hy. fluid and drive it for 10 - 20 minuets? or ?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a used '09 JD 5093 off the original owner. It has 2500 hrs on it and looks brand new. All filters and maintenance done. I got it delivered at midnight last year and started baling the next afternoon with it. When baling it was really loud opening/shutting the tailgate (hydraulic groan).. When turning the wheel it would hiccup (*wheel kinda resisting at you turn). Loader up down it would groan. etc.etc..

Well.. as I'm checking it out.. I still see they have the original hydraulic filter on there! Never changed the fluid and never cleaned the rear screen! Now I know why they sold it. With all the other maintenance the only thing I can think is that they just didn't know to do it?

Anyway.. I flushed the system, cleaned the screen and change the filter. It helped a lot. Very little groaning / hiccups but it still makes some slight hydraulic noise.

My question.. I heard a JD tech say to fill it with Kerosene and run it a bit, then flush it out.

I have put almost 250 hours on it and I'm going to change the hydraulic filter and fluid again. Do you guys think I should do a Kerosene flush and if so how should I do that? Fill it with the same amount as the hy. fluid and drive it for 10 - 20 minuets? or ?

Thanks in advance.
I would never put anything but the HyTech hydraulic fluid in it. Change the fluid, the filter, clean the screen again and use it. If it doesn't stop the noise after a few hours the pump has been damaged by the restricted flow. Usually the cause for the jerky feeling & noise is air in the system, which clears up with usage.

Air in the system was my original thought. Is it leaking fluid anywhere? Are all connections tight? Was the fluid at the correct level when you received the machine? Was the fluid you drained out milky in color like it had water in it?

Thanks in advance.
I bought a Chevy truck real cheap with a bad engine due to the people never changing the oil. Some of the lifters were collapsed and stuck. I decided I'd try to see if the lifters could be freed up without getting into the engine, figuring that I could just replace the whole engine if it blew up. I put a quart of high detergent transmission fluid in and drove the truck a hundred miles and changed the oil putting another quart of tranny fluid in. The engine was noticeably quieter. The next oil change was 500 miles later and the engine was almost as quiet as it should have been. So another oil change with tranny fluid. By the time I'd gone the next 500 hundred miles the engine was quiet, so just a regular oil change. I drove the truck for two years and over 24,000 miles and sold it for half again what I'd paid for it.

If you do the kerosene cure I would probably run it while working with it for a day or two. Get it hot and put some pressure in the cylinders.

I would never put anything but the HyTech hydraulic fluid in it. Change the fluid, the filter, clean the screen again and use it. If it doesn't stop the noise after a few hours the pump has been damaged by the restricted flow. Usually the cause for the jerky feeling & noise is air in the system, which clears up with usage.
i filled my dl. truck up with gas by mistake and when i was goin down the road it jumped and skipped around took it to a mec. and drained gas out the tank and after all that if rand better than ever better milage too.

i filled my dl. truck up with gas by mistake and when i was goin down the road it jumped and skipped around took it to a mec. and drained gas out the tank and after all that if rand better than ever better milage too.
That is called good luck. Add enough gas and the engine changes to a gernade. With no spark plug gas detonates inconsistently hence the bucking & jerking. Enough gas & eventually it will detonate prematurely & destroy the engine. That is apples & oranges to a hydraulic system. At the price of tractors today why take a possibility of a very costly outcome. Just do the service and move forward. I seriously doubt you will see any mention of a kerosene flush in any John Deere service manual.

Flushing with kerosene or diesel was common before thr days of wet clutches and wet brakes. Using anything but oil that meets the spec risks delamination and slipping of clutches and brakes.

I would change filters again and see if it changes. If not some pressure and flow testing are in order.

That is called good luck. Add enough gas and the engine changes to a gernade. With no spark plug gas detonates inconsistently hence the bucking & jerking. Enough gas & eventually it will detonate prematurely & destroy the engine. That is apples & oranges to a hydraulic system. At the price of tractors today why take a possibility of a very costly outcome. Just do the service and move forward. I seriously doubt you will see any mention of a kerosene flush in any John Deere service manual.
ur right i drove that truck only about 5 miles it clean it out for sure lol

dcarp -- The fluid looked fine and the fluid level was spot on. I don't think it has air in the system.

Thanks everyone, I will do the oil / filter change again and hopefully that helps it out.

It does get pretty smooth once the fluid warms all the way up, so hopefully it can come out of it.. if not I'll run it til it breaks.

My money is on it had the wrong oil put in it so it might need the 2nd oil change to further dilute the residue of the wrong oil that was still in the system like cylinders, pump etc after the first oil change. Remember the hydraulic oil in your tractor is only as good as the oil left in the cylinders of equiptment hooked up to it.

Ken

no, this was still the original factory oil and filter from 2009. I changed it with hy-guard, I use it in all my equipment, even my case and cat machinery.

Latest posts