Baler Belts

Help Support CattleToday:

This is also a little off topic, so forgive me, but I see folks mention they bale 250 bales or more, so I'm assuming baling during the day and not baling Alfalfa hay. Out West I bale at night (Alfalfa) so it's cooler and have less leaf loss compared to in the heat of the day and watching the leaves just pile up behind the baler when I dump. Even at speeds of 5mph which is easy on me and machine I can't get 250 bales before I have to shut down(to dry). How is everyone hitting that #. I've used various balers and currently run a big Kubota baler. Regardless of brand I never hit high numbers. Been considering adding a 2nd baler to double production. So what's the secret?? Assuming just baling grass so not as touchy as Alfalfa?? Again just guessing!
All depends on hay and weather conditions. I personally bale mostly grass hay, and if the humidity is low enough you can start rolling before lunchtime here and go until just past dark. You can extend those times quite a bit if you're baling high moisture and wrapping it. In thick hay it isn't hard to get 30+ rolls per hour running 6mph or so. My tractor has radials and the roller has floaters on it, but much past 6mph and it gets pretty rough if you hit a groundhog hole.

That baler was actually built in 2017, fwiw. Is that net hanging out of the pickup teeth? Don't see any ramps on the back, either. Just concerns me when I see a newer baler like that setting on a dealer's lot, always figure it pissed someone off good and proper, so they traded it in on something different. I could see where you would prefer a 5' wide baler in your area!
The width on the pickup and between the wheels around here is important as I have seen the tongue twisted or several from a rollover. Other than a couple small places what I bale is pretty flat, but with a narrow baler I would not chance it or go up/ down the hill there. I am like you on buying used as it can be concerning and needs to be a deal.

This is also a little off topic, so forgive me, but I see folks mention they bale 250 bales or more, so I'm assuming baling during the day and not baling Alfalfa hay. Out West I bale at night (Alfalfa) so it's cooler and have less leaf loss compared to in the heat of the day and watching the leaves just pile up behind the baler when I dump. Even at speeds of 5mph which is easy on me and machine I can't get 250 bales before I have to shut down(to dry). How is everyone hitting that #. I've used various balers and currently run a big Kubota baler. Regardless of brand I never hit high numbers. Been considering adding a 2nd baler to double production. So what's the secret?? Assuming just baling grass so not as touchy as Alfalfa?? Again just guessing!
Just as buying by the bale…size of the bale matters when talking numbers.

I don't know a whole heck of alot about John Deere balers and I bought a 569 with just over 15000 bales and once about every 50 bales the belts will wrap about a roller while dumping the bales. As I close the gate the belts make a God awful squeeling noise since they're being pulled from around the roller.

Is this a result of the belts being stretched? If so is it worth it to cut the belts to length and put on new splices? Or after that many bales should I just get new belts?
The 569 has the drop and go feature on it. Which this feature means, there is no need to stop the tractor PTO. 530,535 & early 566 balers do not have this feature. This feature freezes the belt tightening arm in the current position when the gate is opened. The bales should stop cuz of no added pressure and the bale drops. The belts can wad up on the tailgate if they stick to the upper drive roller, once the bale drops. If the drive roller has a burr or if something sticky is on the belts they will wad up. When installing new belts its best to spray liquid silicone lubricant on the back side (smooth side) of the belts. OEM belts for 569 should be glass smooth on the backside. If they are textured, then the belts are for the earlier JD balers 567 and before or Case-IH balers. Textured back belts will eventually work after 50-100 bales, once the texture wears down.
If you have smooth belts and treat the back of the belts with silicone and you still have the problem, then the drop and go switch is not working properly.

Latest posts