Baler recommendations wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

NewRenoFarmsInKY

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Yesterday was the day that made me want to get rid of my baler. I bought a new JD459e back in 2019 when I started this cattle adventure, and I've come to the conclusion it's time to kick my baler to the curb. It's (at times) a good little baler, and if your windrow is just right it can make a nice bale. But usually it's a nightmare!

I don't think I've gone out more than once or twice where it didn't give me trouble in the 4 years I've had it. The pickup just begs to be plugged every dang time. It seems like it finds new ways and places to plug. Of course if I it isn't plugging up, the net wrap (JD brand wrap btw) is snagging and tearing on something-never from the same places consistently. I've learned how to baby it and usually get my hay up with only one or two incidents-but this is driving me nuts. I don't put up much hay, only 2-300 bales a year (baler only has 1250ish bales), but I am so sick of dealing with a headache every time I go out to work. Yesterday I had hay somehow wrap around the inner roller of the pickup without breaking the shear bolt (and I was watching) but it didn't seem like a clog from what I could see in the cab. Still, grass hanging out in one place for more than a few seconds makes me nervous with this machine-so I shut off the pto to check it out. I had a drive belt nearly on fire when I opened up the side cover 😖. But I digress…

I need a baler that will flat out eat a thick windrow, isn't prone to wrapping or clogging, and that if there is an issue can be resolved fairly easily.

I won't be getting another Deere (while I acknowledge that perhaps their more expensive machines may be great-dealer support is practically non existent), so I'm left with Kuhn, Vermeer, or Kubota. My Kubota dealer is A-1 and sells Vermeer so I'm inclined to lean more towards a Vermeer. I have a Kuhn rake and Tedder I bought new a couple of years ago, and they've been trouble free so I can't speak to what dealer support would be like.

Recommendations are appreciated!

While not on your list I have no complaints with all the New Holland balers I've had over the years. Only ever worry about plugging if there's a big wad of hay and it gets caught in the corner of the pickup (usually on a turn). In 20k bales I've never had a net wrap issue other than trying out a "cheap" roll of Harvest Gold brand wrap that required 4+ wraps to hold together.

Howdy all,

Yesterday was the day that made me want to get rid of my baler. I bought a new JD459e back in 2019 when I started this cattle adventure, and I've come to the conclusion it's time to kick my baler to the curb. It's (at times) a good little baler, and if your windrow is just right it can make a nice bale. But usually it's a nightmare!

I don't think I've gone out more than once or twice where it didn't give me trouble in the 4 years I've had it. The pickup just begs to be plugged every dang time. It seems like it finds new ways and places to plug. Of course if I it isn't plugging up, the net wrap (JD brand wrap btw) is snagging and tearing on something-never from the same places consistently. I've learned how to baby it and usually get my hay up with only one or two incidents-but this is driving me nuts. I don't put up much hay, only 2-300 bales a year (baler only has 1250ish bales), but I am so sick of dealing with a headache every time I go out to work. Yesterday I had hay somehow wrap around the inner roller of the pickup without breaking the shear bolt (and I was watching) but it didn't seem like a clog from what I could see in the cab. Still, grass hanging out in one place for more than a few seconds makes me nervous with this machine-so I shut off the pto to check it out. I had a drive belt nearly on fire when I opened up the side cover 😖. But I digress…

I need a baler that will flat out eat a thick windrow, isn't prone to wrapping or clogging, and that if there is an issue can be resolved fairly easily.

I won't be getting another Deere (while I acknowledge that perhaps their more expensive machines may be great-dealer support is practically non existent), so I'm left with Kuhn, Vermeer, or Kubota. My Kubota dealer is A-1 and sells Vermeer so I'm inclined to lean more towards a Vermeer. I have a Kuhn rake and Tedder I bought new a couple of years ago, and they've been trouble free so I can't speak to what dealer support would be like.

Recommendations are appreciated!
Hay balers only break down in the hayfield and can make a preacher cuss.
My Heston was the most trouble free. Krone made the best bale but was a maintenance nightmare for me.
My Vermeer was good as well.
They all breakdown parts availability is essential.

Maybe you need a baler, but before you do that, consider carefully ALL the expense/economics that go into baling forage. Post WWII tractors, balers, fuel, time and fertilizer were cheap. The increase in cost of these things has far outstripped the rate of profit increase per cow. Prior to WW II it was much more economical to bring the cows to the forage standing in the field rather than harvest it and take it to the livestock. It might be worth considering that as an option, before you buy a new baler.

Maybe you need a baler, but before you do that, consider carefully ALL the expense/economics that go into baling forage. Post WWII tractors, balers, fuel, time and fertilizer were cheap. The increase in cost of these things has far outstripped the rate of profit increase per cow. Prior to WW II it was much more economical to bring the cows to the forage standing in the field rather than harvest it and take it to the livestock. It might be worth considering that as an option, before you buy a new baler.
I appreciate it, and you're correct no doubt, but I need a new baler.

I'll grant you this, it would be cheaper to keep what I have, but it's not worth my frustration.

Also, I bale almost exclusively outside of my farms for the hay I bring in, so there is no option to take the cows there.

Still looking for recommendations 😃

My last New Holland 648 had close to 20k bales thru when I traded it off. Current NH BR7070 only has 5k-ish bales and no complaints. The BR I've had 3 completely new operators in the seat and never and issue and kicked out perfect bales everytime. Next/2nd baler will be a NH RB460 in the year or two.

I need to get a better pencil to make a new baler for 200-300 bales a season make sense. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth upgrading for 1000-2000 bales a season.

We put up a similar number of bales per year like you do, and have been happy with our Vermeer 504r classic. We don't have netwrap on ours though. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to run it, and it will eat up whatever we put in front of it. We just do dry hay though, so if a person was looking at baling higher moisture stuff or larger numbers of bales per year, they might want to go with the signature or premium models.

Twine takes nearly double the time to apply to the bale, resulting in less productivity, increased wear and tear, and increased fuel consumption.

Twine bales do not weather as good left outside.

Twine bales have more handling and transportation loss.

Twine bales are harder to sell when they opportunity arrises.

I appreciate it, and you're correct no doubt, but I need a new baler.

I'll grant you this, it would be cheaper to keep what I have, but it's not worth my frustration.

Also, I bale almost exclusively outside of my farms for the hay I bring in, so there is no option to take the cows there.

Still looking for recommendations 😃
OK. I get what you are saying. I have no doubt that your old baler is shot......or that you want to shoot it and put it out of 'your' misery. :D. I also understand that if you have a lot of hay ground that you own that you can't take your cows to, then baling it is the only option. If there isint that much to bale or enough to justify purchasing a baler, you could consider paying someone to bale it for you. You might be money ahead that way. Conversely, you end up being at the mercy of the custom baler's schedule. If you are renting the hay ground, consider dropping the rental and purchase the hay needed. In the end, a new baler may still be your best option.

Some grass like smooth brome is only worth anything unless grazed early or baled right after it heads. If can't graze it early, the only use is to make it into hay when it's good. At least that's the case around here. Nothing ever eats it after it cures out.

Our New Holland BR 780 makes nice tight bales and loves thick windrows. The more feed it eats the happier it is. Had to replace stuffers and of course maintain belts but she's not new so all in all expected. Not a McHale or a Krohn (dreaming 😂)! But on a budget our baler gets it done!

Why net wrap? I bought my nh 678 in 2011, it's plugged once. My fault I didn't see a big wet patch in a waterway. Unless you're selling your hay, what's wrong with twine?
We prefer and don't regret moving to net wrap…sheds water better, quicker processing in the field, easier to cut off prior to processing through bale buster, less bale spoilage, sells better, keeps bales tighter, lasts longer than twine if bales stored for any period of time. Nothing "wrong" with twine but these are some of our positives since going to net wrap.

Does your baler have the stuffer roll behind the pickup?If so I would change the clutch pack on it. They only take a few plugs to burn out. We prefer twine on hay, net wrap is only faster if it doesn't have issues.

As much as I dislike NH as a company my BR 7060 has been about as good and trouble free a baler as you could ask for. Wish it had net wrap on it but otherwise it makes a nice roll. You can plug it but you got to try. Any of them will plug, thats why those high end ones have drop out floors. Most of the time the key is to give a little hay then pause briefly. Once the roll is started they will suck it up as fast as you want to go.

Sorry I can't speak to the brands you mentioned. All balers have their quirks and you have to learn how to conquer them. I have a NH BR-560. It will eat anything you can drive over and makes a bale as solid as a boulder. However it also saves chaff in numerous cracks & crannies. I blow it out with a lawn blower after each use. I religiously grease it & oil the chains each use.
I have heard good things about Vermeer & Kubota balers. But, most important is the dealer. Which one will help you the most when you need it.

Latest posts