Baler recommendations wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the Signature baler and really like it. I put around 80 bales through it today.

APQE0HK.jpg

Okay I'll chime in. I run a Kubota BV 4580 and love it. Also had a New Holland RB450 twin only and even through was a decent baler it wouldn't eat big windrows. It was also a twine only baler. Back in 2019 I traded it for my current Kubota baler. It will eat a big wide windrow and you can cruise right along. It also has netwrap or twin so gives you some flexibility. I have baled with it next to a JD540M and there is no comparison IMHO. Kubota is built heavier and has the widest pickup on the Market. I rake two 15ft windrows together and it will eat it all and not leave the side strips like my New Holland did and so did the JD. Don't get me wrong JD makes a good baler, but there are others out there that are just as good. But, from what you mentioned I'd pick a Kubota baler since you have dealer support. Dealer support is the only issue I have because the nearest dealer is 1:45 away, but they will ship parts if needed directly to me if need. I have been toying with the idea of buying a 2nd baler to speed up the haying process, but the added expense is holding me back. Doesn't matter color of the equipment it has all become expensive.

How many PTO HP are you pulling it with and how does it handle it? Baled any damp/wet hay with it?
The baler has the moisture read out on the monitor and it ran around average 12-14% except when I baled in a shaded area and then it shot up sometimes in the wet reading. The tractor is a Kubota M9000 91hp engine or 81 PTO. It handles it well, but the baler is harder to pull than the Vermeer 505M or 505I baler I have. Other than flat land I don't believe I would want less than 70hp. It has the wide/hydraulic pickup with the silage kit, and it seems to take hay well.

The baler has the moisture read out on the monitor and it ran around average 12-14% except when I baled in a shaded area and then it shot up sometimes in the wet reading. The tractor is a Kubota M9000 91hp engine or 81 PTO. It handles it well, but the baler is harder to pull than the Vermeer 505M or 505I baler I have. Other than flat land I don't believe I would want less than 70hp. It has the wide/hydraulic pickup with the silage kit, and it seems to take hay well.
Thanks.

I'm half-assed looking for a second baler and would like something that an 85 or so PTO HP tractor would pull easily. Not sure an R is in the budget, though. I'd really like to try a green baler this go round, hopefully a 457/8/9.

So a quick update, yesterday I took it out for the first time and put up 91 bales with it. This thing is a monster! It will eat anything!!! No problems, no clogs, and I bale a lot of hilly places, lots of turns, definitely not ideal ground for haying. I couldn't be happier!

This Brutus of a baler is outstanding!!! I'm sure there are lots of great balers out there in all the colors, but after 5 seasons of futzing with my JD which was a constant headache (clogging, torn netwrap, etc.) this made baling hay fun! I cannot recommend this 504r enough.

So a quick update, yesterday I took it out for the first time and put up 91 bales with it. This thing is a monster! It will eat anything!!! No problems, no clogs, and I bale a lot of hilly places, lots of turns, definitely not ideal ground for haying. I couldn't be happier!

This Brutus of a baler is outstanding!!! I'm sure there are lots of great balers out there in all the colors, but after 5 seasons of futzing with my JD which was a constant headache (clogging, torn netwrap, etc.) this made baling hay fun! I cannot recommend this 504r enough.
My only problem with the "R" baler is boredom while using it. Just keep an eye on the monitor and it tells you everything. I very seldom look back.

4aFDDSS.jpg

Last edited:
The baler design is similar to a John Deere. A Neighbor has a JD 459 and a lot of similarities.

Last edited:
A lot of good new balers out there. We upgraded to the Vermeer 605N select this year. It's been awesome. I've put a pretty massive windrow through it with no problems. I have no complaints yet. Made about 500 bales of hay. Not sure what it would take to plug it. We will see how it does in straw next.

A lot of good new balers out there. We upgraded to the Vermeer 605N select this year. It's been awesome. I've put a pretty massive windrow through it with no problems. I have no complaints yet. Made about 500 bales of hay. Not sure what it would take to plug it. We will see how it does in straw next.
I really liked my 605N. Made thousands of silage bales with it. Loved the ISOBUS monitor.
Have a Roll Belt 560 Specialty Crop now and I believe it is at least as good. Hate the monitor.
I was baling dry oats the other day, making 68" bales when the crop insurance guy showed up to weigh bales. He weighed one bale and was futzing around so I went over to see what was going on. He told me he wasn't weighing any more of my oat bales because he broke his scale on it. It weighed 2,390 lbs. I backed my bale size down a bit.

I f
My last New Holland 648 had close to 20k bales thru when I traded it off. Current NH BR7070 only has 5k-ish bales and no complaints. The BR I've had 3 completely new operators in the seat and never and issue and kicked out perfect bales everytime. Next/2nd baler will be a NH RB460 in the year or two.

I need to get a better pencil to make a new baler for 200-300 bales a season make sense. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth upgrading for 1000-2000 bales a season.
I feel your pain. I have a NH BR780 that has spent more time in the shop than the field. It would choke at the drop of a hat. Belts would swap places, would not sense "full bale", etc, etc. Took it back to the shop for the third time this season but still had hay on the ground to finish. Dealer loaned me one of his 648's he took in on trade to finish my field. Jumped on a wind row a little timidly but soon running as fast as I wanted to. That old baler never missed a beat, never clogged and tied bales perfectly. It was noisey as heII with the gear drive instead of chains but worked perfectly.

I don't have any experience with any other baler but I'm thinking it might be more OE (operator error) than anything else. I did thighten the clutch on the pickup reel which helped a little on the choking but full bale sensing remains a problem today. Almost caught the baler on fire because someone else was running the baler and didn't bother to look back to see where the bale was. When the 7' bale was ejected it was smoking. Dealer was no help at all and never offered to come to the field to help me get it right. Don't think it would have made ant difference since a 17 YO kid would not be any help.

Good luck!

Latest posts