Opinions on my black mystery heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I bought two heifers in september 2010. They were Feb. calves so 7 mo. old when I got them. The guy I got them from had no clue about cattle and had bought them for his daughter for a fair project and realized he couldn't accomodate them quickly. He said they were angus but that was all he could tell me. I think they are good looking heifers but wonder what other influence they might have in them. I took some pictures of them today so give give me some opinions. they are roughly 22 mo. old now and bred to calve in may.
The one on the right has much more dish to her head than the one on the left, also much more feisty. Kicked me square in the chest when I was loading her.
november_2011_014.JPG

november_2011_012.JPG

The only decent rear shot I got. Nevermind the chicken that thinks she's a cow.
november_2011_058.JPG

This one is my personal favorite.
november_2011_030.JPG

They look nice, plenty of hair won't freeze in the winter time. Nice capacity and they stand correctly. They should make good cattle. Now Doc will come and rip them apart. :cowboy:

Are they fairly small? I guess galloway. Maybe even 100% galloway - though someone who farms them would guess better.

ABrauny":3po4wnn6 said:
They look nice, plenty of hair won't freeze in the winter time. Nice capacity and they stand correctly. They should make good cattle. Now Doc will come and rip them apart. :cowboy:

They are nice heifers......and you can lay off Doc. You don't have enuf credentials around here to say crap like that!

Either that or tell us who you were in your last 10 incarnations.

The two blacks in the first three pics look pretty good. The crazy eyed bull in the fourth pic needs to be a steer. :cowboy:

Isomade":xmfcuoyy said:
The two blacks in the first three pics look pretty good. The crazy eyed bull in the fourth pic needs to be a steer. :cowboy:

Good observation Grasshopper.

3waycross":277pg8qr said:
ABrauny":277pg8qr said:

They are nice heifers......and you can lay off Doc. You don't have enuf credentials around here to say crap like that!Either that or tell us who you were in your last 10 incarnations.

ever hear of freedom of speech? that goes for opinion also.............

How is free-ranging those chickens workin out for ya?
Little off the subject but I wanna try that sometime.

tsmaxx47":nh99dwwi said:
3waycross":nh99dwwi said:
ABrauny":nh99dwwi said:

They are nice heifers......and you can lay off Doc. You don't have enuf credentials around here to say crap like that!Either that or tell us who you were in your last 10 incarnations.

ever hear of freedom of speech? that goes for opinion also.............

It goes both ways. You can say most anything you want, you just have to be willing to take your lumps if it's the wrong thing to say!.........and that was a pretty small lump!

regolith":1esnz9qo said:
Are they fairly small? I guess galloway. Maybe even 100% galloway - though someone who farms them would guess better.

I would say you have some 1/2 Angus 1/2 Galloway cross heifers. I have raised a couple hundred in my lifetime, and that is exactley what they look like this time of year. I have demand for them all the time.

3waycross":18adp98t said:
ABrauny":18adp98t said:

They are nice heifers......and you can lay off Doc. You don't have enuf credentials around here to say crap like that!

I didn't mean that to be serious, from the posts of his I've read he'll forget more about beef cattle than I'll ever know. I think he's very intelligent, it was just a joke. Doc if I offended you I apologize.

ABrauny":yzptf4rx said:
3waycross":yzptf4rx said:
ABrauny":yzptf4rx said:

I didn't mean that to be serious, from the posts of his I've read he'll forget more about beef cattle than I'll ever know. I think he's very intelligent, it was just a joke. Doc if I offended you I apologize.

and I shouldn't have wrote that response when I had had 2 drinks before dinner and was thinking about kicking the s--t out of my Brother in Law.
But Doc is a godd ole fella and a little verbose but not malicious in the least.

:lol: :lol: 3waycross WARNING!!! Possibly better known as 3sheetstothewind. He will bite if not on his leash. :lol:

Isomade":6p2v0ek7 said:
:lol: :lol: 3waycross WARNING!!! Possibly better known as 3sheetstothewind. He will bite if not on his leash. :lol:

It was all about the BIL. Boy do I wanna kick his a$$. I should have never let it affect me here

Nice looking heifers. I definitely don't think they are full blood Angus, though I do not know what they are crossed with. I'll leave that to others that are more knowledgeable.

Thanks for opinions, my knowledge of beef breeds is limited as I grew up around dairy cows. I've been slowly starting my beef herd for the past 4 years. I didn't think the 2 blackies in these pics were pure angus but i really like them. They have done very well for me so far with no grain. They wintered very well and got bred first service. Is the galloway a polled breed? Are they known for being a little skittish? They are bred to longhorn so I'm certain they will calve easily in the spring and should have some interesting calves. I plan on A.I.ing them next summer along with a couple Angus/Herf heifers I have that are on the same schedule and bred to longhorn as well. Any suggestions on what to breed them to next summer as established 2 yr olds? I will be sure to post some pics of the Mongrel calves in may. Personally I can't wait!

Latest posts