Older 'n Dirt!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer":1sndczaf said:
I was 25 for 25 also--- How many remember the Burma shave signs?
oh yeah. remember them well. wish Lady Bird would have cleaned her husbands act instead of the hwys.

21 for me. How about taking baths in wash tubs. Milk of magnesia in a glass bottle . All feed in burlap. Oil in metal cans. Rotary dial phones.Dominoes in the evening. Writing letters or getting letters from friends. I was a child for most of these but I remember.I am editing because I thought of a couple more. Metal bladed box fans. ( my grandma still has the only one I have ever known. She is a hundred and oils it every year. )My dad says he used to watch Gillitte Friday night fights.Any of you guys watch these?

I remember the Friday nite fights. Just didn't remember who sponsored them.
Also remember some other Fri. and Sat. nite fights with no sponsor

la4angus":31sqxep6 said:
In the parking lot of the store or church I bet.

la4angus":2iewcpho said:

The big earth with a smile and shaving cream on it's face. Ah yes, what alwasy amazed me was that the lather got swiped off so clean with no nicks from the double edged razor.

dun

20 out of 25. I remember one of my first chores around the house was hauling drinking water from the neighbor's house in a one Gal. Mrs. Tucker lard bucket. We had a well with a pump but it was really irony tasting, the neighbor's well you had to haul the water up in a bucket. Still the best tasting water I've ever had.

;-)

Y'alls probably remember all those Lucky Strike ads in ballparks.....
How about stickball?
yah those rotary dial phones were still around when I was a kid! this was the 80's! My grandparents had theirs until mid 1990's and still have one in their business until it closed in 2003!
I've seen picture of old phones where there was only a reciever and you had to talk into the phone (the speaker) then they had phones with the rotary dial and the cradle was on top of the dialer....then the cord phones.....then cordless phones....the new phones are so small, it is easy to lose them!
Oh yes! There was no contact lenses in yer days........ cataract surgery took forever (two weeks at the most), now they can be removed in an hour...
Oh one thing that still around are those annoy soap operas....the same show years after years....... Speaking of shows, how many of you remember the radio show "The Shadow" and the "Squeaking Door"? My grandparents talked about these shows.. Ah...I love history!

I was 25 for 25 also. Tell ya how old I am and how far out in the country I grew up, we hauled water in buckets from the neighbors well hand pump,didn't have our own well,heated it on a wood/coal two burner stove for taking a bath and doing dishes,it also heated the house and used an out house even in -30 weather till 1959 when we got indoor plumbing and a fuel oil furnace. :cboy:

cherokeeruby":3laffewh said:
Burma Shave signs

Crossing the Red River on a ferry
I'm sorry cherokeeruby,I have to ask-Is that your foot or someone elses on your avatar? :lol: ;-)

Those were fun to remember. Here's a few others that come quickly to my mind --- anybody remember:

Cherry vanilla coke, or an ice cream cone, at Dairy Queen --- for a nickle

Double features at the "picture show" on Saturday, for 35 cents

The entire family watching Bonanza together on Sunday night

Making popcorn the old fashioned way --- pour oil and a pot, throw in the corn , etc.

Giggling when grandma said "blow the light" when it was time for everybody to go to bed even though the room had a light bulb and a long pull string, and no candle or lantern

Double knee blue jeans

Burr haircuts

Dollar a car load night at the drive-in theater; and hiding as many prople as possible in the trunk on regular price nights

No garbage disposal --- everything went into the "slop bucket" for the later enjoyment and nourishment of the pigs.

Riding the pumpjack for a few seconds, before filling the bucket with the drinking water for the day

Picking cotton the old fashioned, back breaking, hand puncturing way

Making a motorcycle out of your bike via the stategic placement of playing cards and clothes pins

Clothes pins and pants stetchers for outside drying (the only way there was)

Rubber guns --- the rough shape of a gun made of wood, to shoot rubber bands made from old inner tubes, with a clothes pin for a trigger

dun":2lu8ns5h said:
Campground Cattle":2lu8ns5h said:
la4angus":2lu8ns5h said:
Campground, I remembered all of that too, except for the electric wash-tub ringer..We had the old crank type.

Alright how about the old Chevy pickup's ignition switch on the dash starter switch on the floor. Master cylinder under the floor mat.

All starters used to be on the floor and a mechanical linkage that actually engaged the starter,, no centrifigal bendix gear.

BB's dog may have been Tipper but I remember it as Tide.

When we got new shoes we refered to them as Buster Browns, but they never were because we couldn't afford those expensive kinds.

Black canvas tennis shoes.

Ah yes, the good? old days

dun

I wasn't here when they invinted dirt 56 Ford fairlane was on the dash, I know cause I cranked the car and got my butt tore up. 57 Chevy truck was still on the floor. Also remember keeping milk in the well at Grandma's.

oh my gosh i remember 18,
at my mamaws house i took baths in wash tubs and used a slop jar at night, the old outhouse is still standing. and we drew water up from the well to drink and kept it in a bucket on the counter with a dipper in it. :heart: i remember when the wizard of oz came on tv, it said in living color, and i was mad cuz our tv didn't have and colored pictures on it, ( it was a black and white one), i didn't know any better..lol and if the tv started getting bad reception, wich was most of the time, we had to go out and reposition the antenna towards Dallas. we never had air conditioning either, we slept with windows and doors open.
we used to ride our horses from sun up to sun down all over the country, we would pick up coke bottles and sell them to "Bo" the man that ran the little store and he would make us cheese sandwiches and we would always get the RC colas cuz they were the biggest bottles in the box. if any one grew up in north central Texas, you might remember "Slam Bang Theater" with Icky Twerp
what wonderful memories :heart: :D

our mrs. tuckers lard bucket was used to keep clothes pins in for the clothes line, and we would go into the back of Bo's store and pick out the bags of flour or feed that was made out of the prettiest cloth. did your moms ever buy the boxs of soap (don't rember the brand,) that had drinking glasses or towels in them ?

samm":37q1r3gn said:
our mrs. tuckers lard bucket was used to keep clothes pins in for the clothes line, and we would go into the back of Bo's store and pick out the bags of flour or feed that was made out of the prettiest cloth. did your moms ever buy the boxs of soap (don't rember the brand,) that had drinking glasses or towels in them ?

Grandma's drinking glasses came filled with Garret snuff. She was the one dipping.

Latest posts