I suddenly feel older

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So On Friday I went to a bronc riding in Baker City. The broncs were supplied by Sonny Riley, Flying Five Rodeo. I got to thinking that the first time I got on one of Sonny's broncs was July 4, 1971. Dang that was a long time ago. Then I thought that none of the bronc riders on Friday night were born yet back then. If that isn't that isn't bad enough I thought the parents of those bronc riders might not have been born back before July 4, 1971. How the heck did this happen?

Dave said:
So On Friday I went to a bronc riding in Baker City. The broncs were supplied by Sonny Riley, Flying Five Rodeo. I got to thinking that the first time I got on one of Sonny's broncs was July 4, 1971. Dang that was a long time ago. Then I thought that none of the bronc riders on Friday night were born yet back then. If that isn't that isn't bad enough I thought the parents of those bronc riders might not have been born back before July 4, 1971. How the heck did this happen?

You're a survivor and I imagine a pretty darn good bronc rider.

Little Cow said:
I wonder how much the broncs have changed over the years?

These horses were rank. Sonny has had nearly 50 years of breeding bucking horses. Big big stout horses that did get it on. They had Spring Planting who is a two time bucking horse of the year there. And a lot of horses from that same lineage.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

I don't know that I was that good, but some of my traveling partners sure were. My issue was staying healthy. Sticks and stones will break your bones but bucking horses will really hurt you.

Makes me feel old to go behind the chutes now and see all these kids that look so YOUNG! Glad there are some carrying the torch but as you say, very few of them are cowboys any more.

Dave said:
Little Cow said:

These horses were rank. Sonny has had nearly 50 years of breeding bucking horses. Big big stout horses that did get it on. They had Spring Planting who is a two time bucking horse of the year there. And a lot of horses from that same lineage.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

I don't know that I was that good, but some of my traveling partners sure were. My issue was staying healthy. Sticks and stones will break your bones but bucking horses will really hurt you.
You no doubt rode against Bob Blackwood back in those days..he was from up in your area originally, wasn't he? bit and spur maker..

ALACOWMAN said:
Little Cow said:

broncs not as much as the riders,, the old days they were Cowboys ..now they are athletes...

This one they were pretty much cowboys. For as much money as there was the big boys weren't there The young man who won it was from Juntura Oregon. That is a middle of no where cow town that isn't even a town. Any one and everyone from there is either a cowboy or a cowgirl because that is all there is there. There is a cafe/motel/gas station and huge acreage horseback cattle ranches. And it is nearly a hundred miles to the next anything.

What many people don't realize about the West these days is that, oftentimes, the Cowboys are Indians. The Native rodeos are really hardcore. I thought that movie, The Rider showed an interesting aspect of life on the Reservations. Not sure how accurate, but I think it was honest as far as the challenges people have to overcome. I imagine that's why they are such tough cowboys. There was a tiny blurb on the news about extensive flooding on the Reservations this past spring, and then....nothing. Everyone forgot about it. I hope they are recovering. Poverty plus natural disaster is really hard to overcome. It happened in my area after Hurricane Irma and not too far away after Hurricane Michael. Folks still living without electric and running water.

Little Cow said:
What many people don't realize about the West these days is that, oftentimes, the Cowboys are Indians. The Native rodeos are really hardcore. I thought that movie, The Rider showed an interesting aspect of life on the Reservations. Not sure how accurate, but I think it was honest as far as the challenges people have to overcome. I imagine that's why they are such tough cowboys. There was a tiny blurb on the news about extensive flooding on the Reservations this past spring, and then....nothing. Everyone forgot about it. I hope they are recovering. Poverty plus natural disaster is really hard to overcome. It happened in my area after Hurricane Irma and not too far away after Hurricane Michael. Folks still living without electric and running water.

While there certainly are Indians who are cowboys, I don't know that I would use the term "oftentimes". I have Indian friends who were rodeo cowboys. And I have known some ranch cowboys who are Indian. In regard to the total number of cowboys in the west they make up a fairly small percent.

Think I might be making it to old status at age 58. I've been lame in the left hind since early March, thought it was a sciatic nerve bothering me. Was informed yesterday that a hip replacement is in the works.

An old bull rider goes to our church. He comes in wearing his spurs on his boots most Sundays. No one bothers him, but most people politely avoid him. I talked to him one day after church. Told me he was really up there back in the day. He's rough looking 50s or normal 60s. Poor guy gimps about pretty badly. You can tell each step hurts, but he's friendly and smiles to himself sometimes. Must have been some good rides he's remembering. I don't know his name. Maybe I'll ask. I'm not sure it matters, though. He knows we get it.

ALACOWMAN said:
You no doubt rode against Bob Blackwood back in those days..he was from up in your area originally, wasn't he? bit and spur maker..

You and I had this conversation a few years back, but his house and arena in Farmersville is only half a mile from where I live now. Old article on Bob you may find interesting.

slick4591 said:
ALACOWMAN said:

You and I had this conversation a few years back, but his house and arena in Farmersville is only half a mile from where I live now. Old article on Bob you may find interesting.
I got a bit from him, before he died..wish I had gotten a pair of his Spurs now.....like I need em anymore :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN said:
slick4591 said:
ALACOWMAN said:

I got a bit from him, before he died..wish I had gotten a pair of his Spurs now.....like I need em anymore :cowboy:

I remember Bob making spurs. If he was originally from this part of the world he must have left before I started or at least I don't remember him. There were a lot more cowboys back then. There is no way I remember all of them. I remember one year at Grand Coulee ( a small two day rodeo on Mother's Day weekend) there was 72 bareback riders and 48 saddle bronc riders. You would have to cover a lot of ground to find 72 bareback riders today.

Back in 1971 I graduated HS in June. Turned 18 that year; got married later that fall. Wow... guess I am getting older not just feeling older.

But the good thing, after all the aches and pains, they are going to start turning me into wonder woman. Will be having this ankle replaced this winter, and if all goes well, then the knee (s) and then the shoulder. So in a couple of years the joints will be "made of steel" like superman...... Not going to spend the next 20 years in agony getting around when something can be done about it. Not looking forward to surgery, but the doctor at Duke (NC) said I was a good candidate for the ankle replacement after years of local drs saying it needed to be fused. And the limitations that would come from that. Not looking to start running marathons or competing in Iron Man competitions, or climbing mountains or anything crazy.... just want to be able to do average normal stuff without hurting so much.

Latest posts