I suddenly feel older

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan said:
Back in 1971 I graduated HS in June. Turned 18 that year; got married later that fall. Wow... guess I am getting older not just feeling older.

But the good thing, after all the aches and pains, they are going to start turning me into wonder woman. Will be having this ankle replaced this winter, and if all goes well, then the knee (s) and then the shoulder. So in a couple of years the joints will be "made of steel" like superman...... Not going to spend the next 20 years in agony getting around when something can be done about it. Not looking forward to surgery, but the doctor at Duke (NC) said I was a good candidate for the ankle replacement after years of local drs saying it needed to be fused. And the limitations that would come from that. Not looking to start running marathons or competing in Iron Man competitions, or climbing mountains or anything crazy.... just want to be able to do average normal stuff without hurting so much.
One of my friends in his mid 50's got a knee replacement 2 years ago, he was walking a couple hours after surgery... It really helped him a lot (he does construction)... ONly thing is he doesn't have any sensitivity on his kneecap, so he has to watch when he kneels, not to kneel on something sharp, etc

I am sure there will be some things that I will have to watch, learn to compensate for. But, with it hurting so much now, and being so fearful of turning it wrong on uneven ground and pain that will put me flat on the ground if I step on it wrong, I think I will be able to deal with things like your friend has. My ankle will be a little more complicated as there is the main ankle joint, then a small space/joint in the heel area that helps with side to side stability on uneven ground. They don't replace that , it will be fused. So I will be restricted to no weight bearing until that fuses. If it was strictly the ankle joint, dr said they would have me up and doing the next day. My therapy/rehab will be structured for no weight bearing until it fuses. Don't see any sense in doing one and not the other as the small joint area will need to be done eventually. Said it might be 6 months or 5 years before it starts to hurt too much, but why go through 2 separate operations, and down time. Just do it all at once since it is in bad shape now. He says that I have only about 10% of use of it now, so won't notice that small difference, and with a pain free main ankle joint I will learn to compensate for that stability issue. Have had a couple of these drs reccommended to me at Duke by people from here that go there for their care. I chose this one because he is progressive and into things like stem cell and such and was hoping that was a route to try. But he said it was just in too bad a shape and since stem cell is not covered by insurance, that he couldn't see reccommending something that I would have to pay for out of pocket if he just didn't think it would help. He said I could try it if I wanted, but with all the other "alternative treatments" I have had, and he was well versed in what I was explaining to him, that he felt I had exhausted all my options and it was his opinion that the replacement would be my very best option.

Glad your friend is doing well with is. They say the rehab/physical therapy is a bytch for the first few weeks, but that everyone that has stuck with it has been pretty happy with the results. Have a girlfriend that had 1 knee done this past year, and is going to do the other this next winter. She said the first couple weeks were rough, but is glad she did it as now it is just much better.

Latest posts