Middle Age - Are You Older Than You Think?

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":240l7xu4 said:
ez14":240l7xu4 said:
Caustic Burno":240l7xu4 said:
Good way to get boogered up . My running partner at the time ended up messed up for life. Never forget at Sealy Tx on a bull named Mission Impossible I bucked out the bull before him.
The Bulls today are more rank than when I rode. I rode a lot to the buzzer and looking at today's stock I wouldn't been considered pretty good but horrible
i dont know that i ever will do it but its something i have wanted to do for a few years now. Theres a place my brother went to ride before im not sure where its at but i dont think its to far away. And you can pay to get a class on how to ride then you get to ride im not sure on the price but i think its like $100
Pay yourself 200 not to.
doing it just a few times shouldn`t be that bad right?

It only takes once. Tried it for about a year at a weekly 'youth rodeo' called the Double Trouble Arena and found out I wasn't worth a crap at it and didn't really like the fall anyway, much less the run for the fence rail, but I sure did learn lots of life lessons there my momma probably wouldn't have approved of...

Most of the older adults there were of the
'hold my beer and watch this'...
types..

When i was younger i thought the worst part of bull riding would be the run for the fence and i still think that but not as much as i did before working around a mean bull at work i guess i kind of got comfortable working with a mean bull (but i all ways liked to have a crowbar with me and that bull felt the crowbar acrossed his face more then once)

ez14":11eaqy1g said:
When i was younger i thought the worst part of bull riding would be the run for the fence and i still think that but not as much as i did before working around a mean bull at work i guess i kind of got comfortable working with a mean bull (but i all ways liked to have a crowbar with me and that bull felt the crowbar acrossed his face more then once)
Seen a young man get killed at Aldine Tx on the run he got to the fence with the bull a split second behind him.
Crushed him on the fence.
I had rode that bull before and he broke my ankle.

ez14":3qx3d8ou said:
jedstivers":3qx3d8ou said:
ez14":3qx3d8ou said:
i dont know that i ever will do it but its something i have wanted to do for a few years now. Theres a place my brother went to ride before im not sure where its at but i dont think its to far away. And you can pay to get a class on how to ride then you get to ride im not sure on the price but i think its like $100
Pay yourself 200 not to.
Pay yourself 400 then.
And you don't know me but I did some pretty rough things in my life.
I always wanted to ride bulls too, being older now I can say I'm glad I didn't. It's not worth it.

EZ what you don't understand is the bull doesn't just let you off.
Get thrown over the dashboard or inside on a spinner and you are toast.
Actually never want get off one standing still either he will eat you up.
It all starts the same you suck and get hurt or your pretty good and you still get hurt.
No one rides Bulls without getting injured sooner or latter.
If you don't get hurt your lucky you ride enough and you will.
Trust me a messed up knee, busted ankle and a broke leg been there done that.
Worst one I ever rode went to spinning in the chute when the gate opened like to beat me to death.

jedstivers":xmzv8ii4 said:
ez14":xmzv8ii4 said:
jedstivers":xmzv8ii4 said:
Pay yourself 200 not to.
Pay yourself 400 then.
I always wanted to ride bulls too, being older now I can say I'm glad I didn't. It's not worth it.

Jeds giving you some real good advice here EZ.
Take care of yourself while youre younger. You feel invincible, and heck, you basically are at your age. But the damage you do to your body now will haunt you the rest of your days, and you wont know it until you wake up one morning feeling like someone beat you with a garden hose all night.
I have had 44 trips around the sun. I used and abused my body to its fullest potential as a young man: heavy weight lifting, football, baseball, track, wrestling/mma, played rugby on an international level. Would fist fight anyone. All the awards, glory and accolades dont add up to shyt when measured against the broken teeth, 2 bad knees, busted up ankle, trashed shoulder, arthritic hands, and nerve damage in my neck. Yep, all that at 44. Cant wait to see how i feel at 60. Had MRI done of my knees when i was 37, ortho dr asked me what the heck i had done to myself. Said i had the knees of a 75 yea old man- bone on bone, arthtitis galore. That explains the constant aching, and why it sounds like a bowl of rice crispies when i walk. Point is this, pace yourself, you dont have to miss out on stuff, but dont go borrowing future trouble either. Wished i had known that at your age. Been thrown from a few large animals that werevmoving fast in one direction, when i went the other. Gravity always wins and the ground aint too soft.
Just my :2cents: ..aint even worth that much, but it was free.

bball":1t5u3j0m said:
jedstivers":1t5u3j0m said:
ez14":1t5u3j0m said:
Pay yourself 400 then.

Jeds giving you some real good advice here EZ.
Take care of yourself while youre younger. You feel invincible, and heck, you basically are at your age. But the damage you do to your body now will haunt you the rest of your days, and you wont know it until you wake up one morning feeling like someone beat you with a garden hose all night.
I have had 44 trips around the sun. I used and abused my body to its fullest potential as a young man: heavy weight lifting, football, baseball, track, wrestling/mma, played rugby on an international level. Would fist fight anyone. All the awards, glory and accolades dont add up to shyt when measured against the broken teeth, 2 bad knees, busted up ankle, trashed shoulder, arthritic hands, and nerve damage in my neck. Yep, all that at 44. Cant wait to see how i feel at 60. Had MRI done of my knees when i was 37, ortho dr asked me what the heck i had done to myself. Said i had the knees of a 75 yea old man- bone on bone, arthtitis galore. That explains the constant aching, and why it sounds like a bowl of rice crispies when i walk. Point is this, pace yourself, you dont have to miss out on stuff, but dont go borrowing future trouble either. Wished i had known that at your age. Been thrown from a few large animals that werevmoving fast in one direction, when i went the other. Gravity always wins and the ground aint too soft.
Just my :2cents: ..aint even worth that much, but it was free.

Good Advice.Please listen.

Don't listen to these guys. You only live once. Go out there and do it. I never was much of a bull rider and I always questioned why anyone would want to ride a bull. But I traveled some with a guy who won the world riding bulls and was a two time winner of the NFR. Another one of my traveling partners went on to win a bunch of championships. None of then riding bulls but he was a pretty fair bull rider until he started concentrating more on the broncs.

I have been injured a time or twenty and I am now nearly 65. I notice people my age who never stubbed their toe seem to complain more about aches and pains than I do. And to quote the words from an old Chris LeDoux song, "if I had it to do over again I won't have drove so slow."

Dave":1glhkr6p said:
I have been injured a time or twenty and I am now nearly 65. I notice people my age who never stubbed their toe seem to complain more about aches and pains than I do.
I've noticed that too. I'm lucky I guess. The heart crap is taken care of with medication and the pains are taken care of with pain meds. Still out work my garndson (24) and his dad (52). You just have to know your limitations

ez14":36k948x5 said:
whether or not i follow your guys advice i just want to say thanks for giving it :tiphat:

Ez this was fifty years ago

I rode a many of a bull to the buzzer there is a lot going wrong in this picture.
That bull put something on me that a mom kiss wouldn't fix or Ajax take off.

Dave":1tf3emug said:
I notice people my age who never stubbed their toe seem to complain more about aches and pains than I do.

I'm thinking that's because they've never been busted up, banged up, fractured, bruised, stitched or broken.

Those of us who have had the pleasure of experiencing many fractures, breaks, stitches and such, we know what "real" pain feels like. Yes, our "residual" aches and pains do hurt and are annoying but we know how bad the original injury hurt, so, these old aches aren't so bad. Ya know what I mean?

Caustic Burno":2cjzs56z said:
ez14":2cjzs56z said:
whether or not i follow your guys advice i just want to say thanks for giving it :tiphat:

I rode a many of a bull to the buzzer there is a lot going wrong in this picture.

Ride 'em Caustic!!!! :cowboy:

dun":3gq54ump said:
You just have to know your limitations

Knowing them and accepting them can be 2 different things. At this point I am aware of some of mine, I'm just having a hard time accepting them.

However, sometimes I do find them to be good "brain" exercises, as in trying to figure out new and alternative ways of doing things. :lol2:

I was on crutches for six weeks after that ride or lack of.
Never seen anyone ride that bull to the buzzer seen him hurt a bunch of boys. They pulled him finally he had learned somewhere he would come out the chute do a hard right and drag your left side down the gate or post.
Then you were his cause he had drug you off your hand and it just went from bad to worse.

I started to add up how much time I have spent on crutches but I decided that I don't want to know the answer. It has been a lot of time. But I do know that I spent more time using them because of recreation (snow skiing) and from work (falling timber) than I ever did from riding rough stock in rodeos.

I always found it kind of curious that the winter ('73-'73) I decided to go to Texas to rodeo there was a general lack of guys riding broncs. Turn over a rock and two bull rides came out from under it. But my traveling partner and I both rode bareback broncs. We would drive 200 miles to a rodeo, win first and second, and barely win enough to get our entry fees and gas money back. Just the opposite was true up here.

Tried bareback and saddle bronc, riding wasn't my problem spurring was.
I also didn't like anything that could throw me high enough for crows to build a nest in my back pocket.
Simply put I wasn't very good, tried bull dogging a couple times I just couldn't see the sense in diving off a good horse.

ez14":1lasonse said:
jedstivers":1lasonse said:
ez14":1lasonse said:
Pay yourself 200 not to.
I rode a few saddle broncs and tried bulls about a half dozen times. The last time I tried bulls one stepped on my hat close enough to my head that my scalp hurt from the pull on what little hair I had. I learned that time...
Saddle broncs I can still kind of see if you want to spend your life horseback but there is no reasonable way for an average guy to make bull riding out to be a wise decision when they hit thirty and look back on the last fifteen years of their life.

Caustic Burno":3iwqu4z2 said:
ez14":3iwqu4z2 said:

my brother was looking over my shoulder and seen this and said "no vest that was back when men were men"

the place i would ride is just for beginners i think and i know all bulls are dangerous but these ones i think would be a little less

you look good there cb. back then did you have fun doing it

and it doesn't seem to matter what you did when you were younger getting old just doesn't seem like people enjoy it

Latest posts