Older 'n Dirt!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Slipping out of the house at daylight to ride, swim & play baseball all day. If you was to try and sleep in Dad would find you something to do. Something about idle hands being the Devil's workshop.

Hauling hay, fixing fence, mowing the yard( the old push mower, no motor), sweeping leaves, running a Arkansas drag line ( pick & shovel ), brushhogging, working the garden, etc.
All the things that happened if you didn't get out of the house early enough.
;-)

Milking cows by hand, churning butter by hand, sitting on the porch shelling peas at sundown while listening to grownups visiting with neighbors, home made ice cream, eating watermellon " borrowed " from a neighbor's field. Apples, peaches & pears drying in the sun ( Mom would bring them in at night before the dew fell ). Pollywogging on the creek and gigging frogs at night. Coming home from school in the afternoon and having your dog meet you at the bus and slipping away to shoot a few squirrels before dark.
Ahh, those were the days my friends.
;-)

TLCfromARK":1f0tralt said:
Milking cows by hand, churning butter by hand, sitting on the porch shelling peas at sundown while listening to grownups visiting with neighbors, home made ice cream, eating watermellon " borrowed " from a neighbor's field. Apples, peaches & pears drying in the sun ( Mom would bring them in at night before the dew fell ). Pollywogging on the creek and gigging frogs at night. Coming home from school in the afternoon and having your dog meet you at the bus and slipping away to shoot a few squirrels before dark.
;-)

Churning the butter in a Mason jar churn. Everything you wrote make's me think of sitting on Grandmas porch. Did y'all ever have hog killins in the winter, had the 55 gal drums of hot water to slip the hair on them rooters.

Everything was made out of wood, metal, rubber or glass. Plastic was almost an exotic material.

If it said "Made in Japan" on the bottom it was crap.

My how times change.

Craig-TX

The only things open on Sunday were the grocery store and the pool hall where my dad would pick up a Sunday paper. My kids can't believe Wal-Mart hasn't been here since the beginning of time.

Did anybody else put up big atennaes beside their house for better reception? My dad still has a huge, about 50' tall "Cowboy" attenae, so we could watch the Dallas Cowboy games that were blacked out in our area. We could pick up a Waco station with this thing, therfore we were able to watch the game with the out of town feed. Heck, they still dont have a dishwasher or even cable tv, and we bought them a VCR a few yrs back for Christmas, and they have never even used it. Only time it gets used is when the family gets together and the kids bring movies to watch or we bring over some homemade tapes of the family.

eric":2mk8t2pg said:
Did anybody else put up big atennaes beside their house for better reception?

:oops: :oops: we still have one of those antennaes. that's the only thing we use. no cable, no satellite. we get abc, (2) cbs channels, pbs, (3) fox channels, nbc & on a good clear night we get even more of each of the above from other areas as well as WB.

we do have a VCR but i haven't given in for a DVD yet.

& i'm the dishwasher.

txag - that's funny! You have that big new deere so I know you spend a lot of time working the farm and cow stuff but I thought for sure you would have an automatic dishwasher :lol:

If you stop and think about it, what is the most technologically advanced things most people have......computers (in general)........and look how many people have them and don't have some of the other things.

How many of ya'll thought you would ever be sitting on a computer corresponding with people all across the globe? Pretty amazing ain't it? :D :D :D

Callie":2aq0v4fy said:
TLCfromARK":2aq0v4fy said:
;-)

Churning the butter in a Mason jar churn. Everything you wrote make's me think of sitting on Grandmas porch. Did y'all ever have hog killins in the winter, had the 55 gal drums of hot water to slip the hair on them rooters.

No 55 gal. drum, my grandfather had a huge cast iron vat that we used to dip the hogs in. I can remember when he didn't have a car / truck, just an old wagon with two mules. My grand parents didn't have indoor plumbing until the mid to late 60's. He always said:

"When he was a boy everybody ate in the house and " be nice" in the yard, now every body wants to eat in yard and " be nice " in the house. "

Go figure.
;-)

It's only this year that I gave in and got a cell phone. I'm still holding out on a DVD player. Still can't set the time on my VCR. OH, and the 'extras' on the cell phone, besides just using it as a phone... clueless.

kjerckie":2xsww3o1 said:
It's only this year that I gave in and got a cell phone. I'm still holding out on a DVD player. Still can't set the time on my VCR. OH, and the 'extras' on the cell phone, besides just using it as a phone... clueless.

Maybe those cell phone extras are to give people something to do while they are driving?
:x

TLCfromARK":w44cnc1z said:
"When he was a boy everybody ate in the house and " be nice" in the yard, now every body wants to eat in yard and " be nice " in the house."

Reminds me of an old family story. My great-grandfather had a blacksmith shop and one day some citified salesman came through. He tried to sell the old man on the idea of an indoor toilet. My great-grandfather listened just long enough to get the basic concept down and then told him he was wasting his time. He said it would be a cold day in h--- before anybody took a s--- on the inside of his house! LOL

Craig-TX