Old Wives' Tales

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Never heard this one before, what do you think? My animals always stand sniffing the air :)

Cows Lie Down When It's About to Rain
How can you accurately predict if it's going to rain? Just check a cow pasture. If all the cows are lying down, a rainstorm is coming — or so this old wives' tale claims.

Believers have schemed up several different explanations for why our bovine friends would hit the ground in anticipation of a storm, and many of them sound equally plausible. The simplest is that cows can sense increasing air moisture and will plop down to preserve a dry patch of grass. Another theory states that cows lie down to ease their stomachs, which are supposedly sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure brought on by rainfall.

The most complicated explanation suggests that cow legs are micro-porous structures that rapidly absorb moisture. As the relative humidity builds from an oncoming downpour, the cow's legs will absorb more and more moisture from the air, softening until they can no longer support the weight of the cow.

But is there any weight behind this tale? Not likely – cows lie down for many reasons, and there's no scientific evidence that rain is one of them. As the Farmer's Almanac says, "Cows lying down in a field more often means they're chewing their cud, rather than preparing for raindrops." And just think: If weather predictions were made based on the actions of cows, the forecast would always be grim.

We were as kids always told not to go outside with wet hair or we would catch a cold, I think that was just my mom's way of keeping us inside after we had bathed :) -

Drafty rooms or wet hair
Sleeping in a room with a draft will not make you sick. This is a riff on the old wives' tale that going outside with wet hair will cause a cold. While being chilly is unpleasant, it doesn't make you any more likely to get sick. It's true that we're more prone to infection in cold weather, but that's because we're indoors more, spreading our germs. If you stay inside your house and blast the heat, you're also more likely to dry up your body's protective barriers in your nasal passages, increasing your risk for airborne pathogens. Don't be afraid of a little cold – it may even stimulate your immune system!

i think its more to do with the pressure,, like flys biting before a rain or you'll see them all lite.. yesterday after lunch mine were laying down before a storm hit, but it had some light hail in it and they broke and ran into the oaks

There is some truth to most old wives tales I suspect. When these tales or revelations were spoken the people of. That era didn't have Jim cantore. And spent all daylight hours outside observing mother nature and working.

That hardly explains why cows lay down for periods of time everyday to chew their cuds, or why they graze while it's raining.

Grandaddy was an avid fisherman. When cows laid down, he laid down the pole. The man caught a lot of fish. Must have been something to it.

Kingfisher":28w885zu said:
I've come to believe that if the cows are moving the deer are moving.
I see that as well. Same with the pigs and turkeys. If the cows are out working I'll see more game than cows but if they're layed up in the shade I can see my cows and that's it.

Sim - Good one :clap:

A white ring or haze around the moon means rain or snow.
My observations are that this is fairly accurate?

Latest posts