Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Help Support CattleToday:

In August the year after that picture was taken I had a horse kick me in the lower right leg. Destroyed the soft tissue in my calf. The first two doctors said they would need to cut my leg off at the knee. I replied that I was too young to be a team roper. My good doctor saved my leg. By November I was riding again.

That was from when they all wore cowboy hat instead of helmets with face guards.

About the time they first went to wearing helmets. A late friend of mine who is in the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame told me that he wasn't sure if he was watching a bull riding or a football game.

One of my old traveling partners who won a ton of IPRA championships is missing his 4 front teeth. A bull stuck a horn in his mouth but it just straightened him back up and he went on to ride the bull who was previously unridden. Dan is one tough son of a gun.

It was the OPs first rodeo :)

My horseshoer, a good looking young man, has a front tooth missing from riding bulls. That was from when they all wore cowboy hat instead of helmets with face guards.
Yep, first one. Grew up on a hog farm, all we ever did was work. Too poor to do anything else growing up.

I spent my prime years in a bad marriage. Got divorced, raised two girls on a 50/50 schedule and took up MMA for five years, at the age of 35. They said I was too old for that too. I didn't listen then either. Broke my hand riding 4 wheelers, had to lay off for a while and found the love of my life. Didn't have time for fighting anymore, don't know how I ever did. I loved it, and still feel the pull occasionally.

"My middle daughter caught the rodeo bug this summer, and a local saddle club series had a parents rodeo fundraiser to close out the season. Ole dad thinks it would be fun to get in on the action, so I sign up for chute dogging and steer riding. Dogging goes well, I didn't have the fastest time but felt pretty good about my time for being my first rodeo.

Steer riding closes out the day. Gate opens and 2 seconds and one large pop in my arm later I'm picking myself and my hat up off the dirt. Torn bicep tendon. Going in for reattachment surgery tomorrow. Good thing my wife works for the hospital, I get a a heck of a deal on in-house procedures, and I'm a frequent flyer."
You might be a frequent flier, but it looks like if you end up taking up rodeo, they might have to reserve you a permanent seat on the plane.

Last edited:
Surgery went well. My arm will be in a sling for two weeks and a brace for six weeks approximately. I'm going to make some gear to do some things one handed, like a handle to dump 5 gallon buckets one handed. The brace will be off in time to drive the combine so that's good. All things considered I could be a lot worse.

Surgery went well. My arm will be in a sling for two weeks and a brace for six weeks approximately. I'm going to make some gear to do some things one handed, like a handle to dump 5 gallon buckets one handed. The brace will be off in time to drive the combine so that's good. All things considered I could be a lot worse.
Glad it went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Will you try it again or are you not too young to care? ;)

Glad it went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Will you try it again or are you not too young to care? ;)
I'll probably stick with chute dogging next year. Maybe do the speed events on my wife's mare. I can't afford too much extended time with one arm, so I guess I care a little more now lol.

Glad it went well! Just keep up on the PT and don't wait until you're in serious pain to take something.

As far as making some gear to do things one handed, I distinctly remember after Mr TC's first shoulder surgery, I became that gear. And have been ever since. :unsure:

I'll probably stick with chute dogging next year. Maybe do the speed events on my wife's mare. I can't afford too much extended time with one arm, so I guess I care a little more now lol.
Yay speed events.... ;):D
Makes sense. Sadly I'm afraid rodeo is addictive lol.

Latest posts