Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
My middle daughter caught the rodeo bug this summer, and a local saddle club series had a parents rodeo fundraiser to close out the season. Ole dad thinks it would be fun to get in on the action, so I sign up for chute dogging and steer riding. Dogging goes well, I didn't have the fastest time but felt pretty good about my time for being my first rodeo.

Steer riding closes out the day. Gate opens and 2 seconds and one large pop in my arm later I'm picking myself and my hat up off the dirt. Torn bicep tendon. Going in for reattachment surgery tomorrow. Good thing my wife works for the hospital, I get a a heck of a deal on in-house procedures, and I'm a frequent flyer.

Ouch!
I'm rodeo chair for our local rodeo. We were short on contestants on year so they talked me into getting on a str. Those strs are about as wide as a 2x6 on edge.
I made it through the second hop, but lost my leg grip in the third.
All I can remember is reaching out to grab that horn coming at my face. I dodged the horn but pulled the $hit out of my groin. I limped around for three weeks .

Hope you heal up quick.

My middle daughter caught the rodeo bug this summer, and a local saddle club series had a parents rodeo fundraiser to close out the season. Ole dad thinks it would be fun to get in on the action, so I sign up for chute dogging and steer riding. Dogging goes well, I didn't have the fastest time but felt pretty good about my time for being my first rodeo.

Steer riding closes out the day. Gate opens and 2 seconds and one large pop in my arm later I'm picking myself and my hat up off the dirt. Torn bicep tendon. Going in for reattachment surgery tomorrow. Good thing my wife works for the hospital, I get a a heck of a deal on in-house procedures, and I'm a frequent flyer.
Well I guess that confirms that you're too old for that s***

Ouch!
I'm rodeo chair for our local rodeo. We were short on contestants on year so they talked me into getting on a str. Those strs are about as wide as a 2x6 on edge.
I made it through the second hop, but lost my leg grip in the third.
All I can remember is reaching out to grab that horn coming at my face. I dodged the horn but pulled the $hit out of my groin. I limped around for three weeks .

Hope you heal up quick.
A 2x6 is being generous.

The fellow that drew first was a bull rider, had the wore out gear to prove it. His steer hopped once and ran down the arena, the rider was waving his arm and hamming it up. I drew a bucker, I'd have looked a lot cooler had I drew that first steer!

When we were kids and would go with my parents to the family place in VT on long weekend vacation trips.... there was an old neighbor farmer that would run his holstein heifers on the place. Over 100 acres of grass and such... the heifers would come up by the front porch of the "cabin" and we would slide over onto their backs and ride them bucking down across the field in front of the cabin. I was like 12-13 years old... a couple years later he had passed away and the cattle no longer came there... Talk about a 2x6 on edge..... Cannot imagine doing it but we did....

Remember, I was born a Yankee..... CT... with lots of relatives in VT. Back when Yankees had the frugal use it up, "make it do or do without" mindsets..... when they believed about the do for yourself with what you have, take care of your neighbor... mind your own business...
Alot changed in the last 50 years...
Vermont's Green Mountains are much like the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. But we have 2 more months of growing season down here and that was one factor contributing to moving south... the slower pace of life as it was getting crazy up there... traffic and all that getting nuts. Not to mention the insanity of the politics....
But I have lived more than half my life in Va.... and more a "southerner" at heart....
Still good memories of the simpler life of childhood up there...

Remember, I was born a Yankee..... CT... with lots of relatives in VT. Back when Yankees had the frugal use it up, "make it do or do without" mindsets..... when they believed about the do for yourself with what you have, take care of your neighbor... mind your own business...
Alot changed in the last 50 years...
Vermont's Green Mountains are much like the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. But we have 2 more months of growing season down here and that was one factor contributing to moving south... the slower pace of life as it was getting crazy up there... traffic and all that getting nuts. Not to mention the insanity of the politics....
But I have lived more than half my life in Va.... and more a "southerner" at heart....
Still good memories of the simpler life of childhood up there...
I think another way of putting it is the divide between rural and urban values. They run nearly the same no matter the geography. Country folks is country folks and city folks is city folks, at least until the last few years onslaught on rural America.

Ouch. Hope you recover ok.
I run barrels and poles at rodeos so I've seen a lot... The risks we run for a few seconds of fun... lol
We rode our 4H cows as kids... luckily we never got majorly hurt (I mean, they were 4H cows, dirt tame)

Some of the dumb things we do...... sheesh!

Ya'll don't know how many times I've resisted the urge to hop on Sevens back and see what happens. I'm pretty sure she'd just turn her head around and look at me but it might make for a cool story....
Get the wife to video it...🤣

I got on my first bareback bronc when I was 18. The last one just before my 31st birthday. Hundreds of them in between. To quote a Chris LaDoux song, "if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have drove so slow".

It was the OPs first rodeo :)

My horseshoer, a good looking young man, has a front tooth missing from riding bulls. That was from when they all wore cowboy hat instead of helmets with face guards.

Latest posts