Oh No! Not Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one wrote this not to long ago, " is someone missing a dead horse", because I think we are all beating it.

Scotty":b572zb5i said:
Some one wrote this not to long ago, " is someone missing a dead horse", because I think we are all beating it.

Why don't you call the TV station that reported the article and tell them you found it?

Scotty":1btl0a2a said:
This is not your usual Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday Guest/ Frankie fight. It hasn't even gotten personal yet. They are bringing different things then normal and it is interesting.

auctionboy":nv0l2ypo said:
Scotty":nv0l2ypo said:
This is not your usual Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday Guest/ Frankie fight. It hasn't even gotten personal yet. They are bringing different things then normal and it is interesting.

Not to worry. Scotty's kinda like a little feist dog. He yaps alot but nobody ever listens.
:lol:

The Red Angus side of the DNA testing question:

"The Red Angus Association of America, (RAAA) has a 50 year history of
embracing technology which enhances the reliability of our industry's beef
production. It is with the well-being of beef producers and consumers in mind
that the Red Angus Association of America recommends adding DNA
verification as an additional means of genetically documenting "Angus" cattle as
a method USDA should incorporate into the Schedule GLA."

HE HE HE HE. OK to get back on the topic. Mike if its so bad and CAB is fleecing Americans and other counties why are you not bringing some law sute. Why is it allowed to go on. This topic has nothing to do with being a great, good, sorry or any other type of cattleman or hobby farmer or anything you wish to call it. It is simply peeing and moning of a few people that are mad that it goes on but do nothing about it. If you would be so kind to answer me one more question. Do you really care about it that much?

Does anyone think CAB is keeping there breeds prices down? Feeder prices and fattend prices? I would think that would be the only reason to complain besides jealousy. I could also see it tougher to sell other bulls.

auctionboy":2caaamcf said:
Does anyone think CAB is keeping there breeds prices down? Feeder prices and fattend prices? I would think that would be the only reason to complain besides jealousy. I could also see it tougher to sell other bulls.

This is what I have been saying. Care about what? Are you serious not to know what the question was about. What gets me is you put so much stock in the evening news. I may be that dog that yaps and no one listens to. Thats Ok. You are in another state doing the same thing. Yapping about CAB and doing nothing. There is no validity to your original posts. The whole argument, this one and all the other ones are just a joke. PERIOD

guest25":1uoskq0q said:
the correct question is not whether they come from nolan ryan but are they all beefmaster. i beleive that is the issue about the angus not whose but genetics.

so if they were tested and were not beef masters then there would be an issue that would be relevant and compare.

They are not sold as Beefmaster; they are sold as Nolan Ryan beef.The breed is not mentioned at all in their advertising. If it's false advertising to sell beef that's not 100% Angus as Certified Angus Beef, why is it not false advertising to sell beef that was NOT produced, fed, processed by baseball great Nolan Ryan as Nolan Ryan Beef?

guest25":2wei4le9 said:
Frankie":2wei4le9 said:
guest25":2wei4le9 said:
the correct question is not whether they come from nolan ryan but are they all beefmaster. i beleive that is the issue about the angus not whose but genetics.

so if they were tested and were not beef masters then there would be an issue that would be relevant and compare.

They are not sold as Beefmaster; they are sold as Nolan Ryan beef.The breed is not mentioned at all in their advertising. If it's false advertising to sell beef that's not 100% Angus as Certified Angus Beef, why is it not false advertising to sell beef that was NOT produced, fed, processed by baseball great Nolan Ryan as Nolan Ryan Beef?

care to go and read

http://www.nolanryanbeef.com/beefmaster.php

correct me if im wrong he states they retain ownership untill the quality is assured. might have to eat a liitle crow here. even listed as beefmaster cattlemen lp.

Yes, as I said, the program was started by Beefmaster breeders, not the association. But that doesn't address the makeup of the beef.

By all means look the site over and tell me where it says Nolan Ryan Beef is from Beefmaster cattle. Go look at a package of the beef. We heard Charlie Bradbury speak about the program a few years ago. He said they take whatever they can get that grades Select. (They now have a Choice product, too) But at the time, if something graded Choice or better they sold it on the open market. And the cattle didn't all belong to Nolan Ryan. No matter what the makeup of the cattle, they don't all belong to Nolan Ryan. So why is it OK to sell the beef as Nolan Ryan Beef?

Scotty":2pk4ay7z said:
auctionboy":2pk4ay7z said:

This is what I have been saying. Care about what? Are you serious not to know what the question was about. What gets me is you put so much stock in the evening news. I may be that dog that yaps and no one listens to. Thats Ok. You are in another state doing the same thing. Yapping about CAB and doing nothing. There is no validity to your original posts. The whole argument, this one and all the other ones are just a joke. PERIOD
Are you drunk? I don't understand how any of this relates to what I wrote and can only think you picked the wrong quote.

guest25":2raom6as said:
Frankie":2raom6as said:
guest25":2raom6as said:

care to go and read

correct me if im wrong he states they retain ownership untill the quality is assured. might have to eat a liitle crow here. even listed as beefmaster cattlemen lp.

Beefmaster is not the only breed they use in the Nolan Ryan beef.

guest25":htiltbvj said:
WORANCH":htiltbvj said:
Frankie":htiltbvj said:

care to go and read

Beefmaster is not the only breed they use in the Nolan Ryan beef.

what else do they sell

Any brama influnced cattle .

041185 Survey Questions Purity of Angus Beef
Washington, DC - The label says it's an Angus steak, and the premium price tag suggests that's right. But is it really Angus?

ViaGen, based in Austin, Texas, says DNA testing has concluded half of the meat certified as Angus that its scientists bought in supermarkets across the nation weren't properly branded because they didn't meet the U.S. Department of Agriculture's requirements for Angus content.

Steaks that carry the Angus brand sell for about 40 cents a pound more than steaks that aren't identified by breed.

Dwight Hartley, owner of Premium Gold Angus Beef in Austin, one of the oldest and largest of the certified Angus beef distributors for restaurants and supermarkets, said misbranding is undermining public confidence in labels.

Hartley said what's happened to Angus brands isn't fraud, but a flaw in Agriculture Department rules for determining what can be classified as Angus beef - rules drafted 30 years ago at the request of the Angus industry before quick DNA testing was available. The Angus program was the USDA's first that certified animal breeds.

USDA rules say inspectors can determine whether a side of beef is Angus or another breed either by tracing the ancestry of the cattle back to Angus parents, or by visual inspection of the hide, which has to be more than 51% black to be classified as Angus. Pure Angus cattle are black.

Hartley said the problem is many other breeds of cattle have black hides and look like Angus. "I've gone through the process, and they look great," he said. But when cooked, he said the other breeds lack the quality, finish and taste of pure Angus.

"If I want the business, I've got to deliver. A lot of people are taking advantage of our program at the moment," Hartley said.

Hartley said he contracted with ViaGen to get assurance of the purity of the 4,500 head of cattle he sells each week in the United States. "No one in the business argues with the fact that Angus beef is the best eating experience," he said.

Minnie Lou Bradley, the president of the American Angus Association, said she questions the results of ViaGen's survey.

"There's got to be a lot more testing," she said. She said the USDA program has operated well and made "certified Angus the most successful brand in the country."

Sara Davis, president of ViaGen, said scientists initially tested beef bought in Texas supermarkets and found that up to 50% of the samples didn't qualify for the Angus label. The company then bought samples across the country and found similar results.

A majority of the samples that failed the DNA tests for Angus were found to have high content of Brahman breeds that produce tougher cuts of meat.

Frankie":1930zaqh said:
If it's false advertising to sell beef that's not 100% Angus as Certified Angus Beef, why is it not false advertising to sell beef that was NOT produced, fed, processed by baseball great Nolan Ryan as Nolan Ryan Beef?

I've seen this before, and I don't think it's a fair comparison. Celebrities and corporations sell their names to products all the time. Everyone KNOWS that Michael Jordan doesn't make Nike Air Jordan shoes. Everyone KNOWS that Anheiser-Busch didn't build the car that Dale Jr. drives. Most people are bright enough to know that Nolan Ryan doesn't raise all the beef that bears his name. But when a consumer buys a CAB steak, they're going to ASSUME its Angus beef, which it may not be. They may not care as long as it's a good product, but they're still being mislead.

We have a situation now where a steak that's 0% Angus can qualify as CAB. That's wrong. No breed should be allowed to take credit for a product they didn't produce. It may be perfectly legal, but what's legal and what's right are quite often two different things.

When CAB started up years ago, this wasn't a big problem. If the animal was black, you pretty much knew it had to have some Angus in it. That is no longer the case. Seems to me it would benefit Angus breeders if CAB were required to have at least 50% Angus blood like many of the other Angus products. That way, someone who is getting CAB premiums using other breeds would have to switch over to Angus if they wanted those premiums. If I were an Angus breeder, I would spend less time defending CAB, and more time trying to change it.

DISCLAIMER: This post should in no way be construed as being anti Angus or Angus breeder. It's not. I have the greatest amount of respect for both. Right or wrong, it's just the way I see it.

Good post Van. I see you aren't getting any arguments from the other side. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts