Fence line weaning or not

Help Support CattleToday:

I do it but have a hot wire ran down the middle of it ,as a deterrent..

Been there, done that. No more.... We bring them all into barn lots... preg check cows... move cows out to where ever we want them to be, will leave a couple cows with the calves, and leave them in the barn lot area. Cows will come right in for feed in bunk, calves follow... they are calmer with an "adult"nanny cow, to feel safer with... in a week or so, the "kept in" cows, which are usually open or shorter bred, will get moved out and by then the calves know the sound of the tractor or skid loader with silage, and come to call knowing they are going to get fed.. then there are only 2 or 3 that are going to bawl for a couple days... but they are coming right in for feed and the cows are out of sight and out of hearing....
Had a couple doing right what yours were doing... and a couple calves that would go over/under/through whatever to get back to cows.

We like fence line weaning here but you need a good fence between. This panel I just need to swap out for a tighter one they can't reach through like the one beside it. Electric fence works well too. I find they get a lot less stressed if they can stand beside the mom during the first week. After that they ideally would be penned off so they can't be nose to nose.

We like fence line weaning here but you need a good fence between. This panel I just need to swap out for a tighter one they can't reach through like the one beside it. Electric fence works well too. I find they get a lot less stressed if they can stand beside the mom during the first week. After that they ideally would be penned off so they can't be nose to nose.
I had some hog panels I used for a while. Dang calf can sneak it's rotten lil head thru those too!

I put up a solid 7 strand barb with a hot down the middle. Works pretty good

I use high tensile net wire with no problems. When I first tried it, I had results like the original poster. I ran some net wire over the dividing fence stop the problem.

I put up a high tensile electric fence to fence line wean. Never had any problems with the fence. The first year the cows broke the chain off the gate; it was poorly welded. Once that was fixed I had not problems. This year I had my dog chase a calf through the fence. To the most part they pretty much respect the fence.

Latest posts