MikeC

Reaction score
Angus DNA Test Results
Tiffany Craig
WKRG Channel 5
Nov 29, 2006 printer friendly format
e-mail this story

View Report
The age old question "Where's the Beef? Is taking on new life with a new word? "Where's the Angus?

News Five DNA tested Angus beef from eight different businesses and sent them to a private D-N-A testing lab in Metairie, Louisiana. It's called Eurofins Genescan. Steven Adamson is the lab manager.

"What we found was that of those eight samples only three of them were truly Aberdeen Angus beef." Outside the lab, Aberdeen Angus is commonly referred to as black Angus or just Angus beef. However, as you are about to learn, what qualifies as Angus beef isn't so simple. Let's start with where we tested.

We made a drive-thru stop to buy an Angus burger at a Hardee's restaurant in Mobile and an Angus sandwich at a Quizno's in Robertsdale.

News 5 bought what was advertised as Angus steak at Bilotti's Italian Caf? in Mobile and a steak at a Bruno's grocery store in Mobile. We also purchased an Angus filet at Moore Bros. Village Market in Magnolia Springs and an Angus steak burger at McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. We forked over cash for an Angus steak at Four Winds Fine Food Market in Pensacola and made one more Angus stop at Backyard Burger in Mobile.

We packaged up all of our samples and shipped them to Eurofins Genescan in Louisiana.

The three samples that are 100% D-N-A tested Angus are Four Winds in Pensacola, Bruno's in Mobile and Moore Bros. in Magnolia Springs! Moore Bros. Owner Charlie Houser was thrilled we decided to test for Angus! "I think it's great. I really do. I'm really glad to know that you did that because as you've already found a lot of people advertise Angus product. They may sell Angus product but they don't sell 100% Angus product."

Five of our eight samples did not D-N-A test as 100% Angus. They are Hardee's, Quizno's, McGuire's Irish Pub, Backyard Burger and Bilotti's Italian Caf?. Our Bilotti's ribeye steak that was listed on the menu as Angus had no Angus in it at all according to our D-N-A test. Manager Wes Ehlert agreed to talk to News 5. "We had pulled all the advertisements off the tables." Ehlert showed us all the signs they pulled down and says it was just getting too expensive to sell. The only problem is that they didn't take the word Angus off the menu! "We try to be as honest up front and open with customers. It was an oversight on our part and we apologize. We weren't trying to deceive anyone." Bilotti's quickly printed new menus and promised to fix the problem.

The rest of the samples we tested contained a percentage Angus but also had other types of beef mixed in. It's a little like the wild west with Angus. The U.S. Department of Agriculture doesn't have a formal standard for determining angus beef. Instead, they enforce a beef industry definition that goes by either genetics or physical angus-influenced characteristics. In other words, if it looks like Angus!

Chris Kerth is a Meat Scientist at Auburn University. "I think as with anything whenever a claim is made as to a quality or what's put on the label, it should stand up to a given amount of scrutiny. If it can't do that, then the system needs some tweaking to make sure it can. If you're claiming that it's 100 %, are you sure that you can back that up? So that certainly raises a yellow flag that maybe we ought to look at that a little bit closer to make sure that there actually doing what they say."

So we did question Hardee's. Their Thickburger is advertised as 100% Angus but D-N-A tests show it's 70% Angus and 30% non-Angus. A spokesperson for the chain said in a statement that "our thickburgers are made with 100% Angus beef." but when asked about advertising to consumers who don't know the USDA rules, the response was... "We are not interested in commenting specifically on USDA standards, other than to say we follow them."

Quizno's Angus steak sandwich D-N-A tested at 50% Angus and 50% non-Angus. The corporate Quizno's statement was that.. "no where in our restaurants or on our menus or sales posters do we state 100 percent angus beef" but when News 5 bought the sandwich, it was advertised as 100%. We went back again to check and they had taken down the sign! The Quizno's statement goes on to say that "our products under USDA guidelines most definitely meet all the criteria required to be labeled Angus beef."

Backyard Burger also advertises as 100% Angus but D-N-A tested as 75% Angus and 25 % non-Angus. Their Chief Operating Officer Joe Weiss said in a statement about our D-N-A results that... "it is not uncommon for test results to vary because once a patty is cooked, the dna may be broken down." We checked with our D-N-A lab and they confirm that cooking does not change the meat identifying D-N-A.

A later statement said that "the patties are made with 100 percent black angus raw materials." Then, we were referred to their supplier called Cargill Foodservice Meat Solutions. Their explanation is that.. "the angus influence alone would not deliver great beef... and that... "it's the combination of specifications that make a brand click"

McGuire's steak burger D-N-A tested as 90% Angus and 10% non-Angus. McGuire's did not claim to sell 100% just Certified Angus Beef. We were sent to their supplier who referred us to the Certified Angus Beef Company. A spokesperson for the brand says... "the certified angus beef brand does not claim to be 100 percent angus beef" and that "the angus breed is a good place to start when selecting quality beef, but it's the beef quality standards that ensure a delicious product."

Meat expert Chris Kerth was not surprised by what we found. "One of the problems is a certain amount of inconsistency and that's just the nature of the beast so to speak."

So the next time you ask the question, "Where's the Beef?" If you're looking for Angus, it's not that cut and dry!

Technically, by USDA standards, all of the places that D-N-A tested with some percentage of Angus can call their product Angus beef. Now, as a consumer you know that when it says 100%, it's not always how you and I translate that.

Here's our proof.??See the DNA Reports (pdf 157KB)

How do you test a steak? What are the base line to compare it to? I pull blood from a calve I have to say its from A, B or C bull that have had blood pulled also. Explain what I missed. Your proof statement at the botom of the page, DNA Reports only gave me a few million hits so be more specific.

Poor Mike. He takes CAB premiums when he doesn't qualify, but bashes Angus every time he thinks he has an opportunity.

CAB never said the meat is 100% Angus. The specifications are out there for everyone to read.

The other samples tested were the store or packer's brand and have nothing to do with the Angus Assn. The Assn doesn't own the word Angus; they have no control over who uses it.

BTW, how many places are selling Certified Charolais beef? Or even CLAIMING that their beef is from Charolais cattle?

The last I read there were about 40 products on the market using the word Angus in their name. The only one that the American Angus Assn controls is CAB and they never make the claim it's 100% Angus because it was not set up that way.

So enjoy that unearned CAB premium you pocketed while you bash the breed. :D As the Angus bull recently tested at Auburn shows, there are Angus genetics that will match up well with ANY other beef breed.

MikeC":1ogkzzk0 said:
http://media.mgnetwork.com/krg/pdf/29nov06/AngusResults.pdf

Actually I'm pretty impressed. Only one sample wasn't at least 50% Angus.

I have a hard time understanding why the UK breeders want to DNA sample test the meat at the retail counter and verify it either 50% or 100% Angus to protect their breed/patent and the AAA and CAB has fought it when the USDA suggested they do so?

You just can't advertise something that may not be what it is.

I would feel the same way if it was Char or Mountain Goat.

That's truth in advertising. Period.

If it's advertised as 100% Angus then it should be just that. If it's just advertised as Angus, and it has some Angus in it, then what the heck. Personnally, I don't think most people will care, as long as it's good meat.

This has got me to thinking. Does anybody know if the DNA markers for Angus and Red Angus are the same? If so, it could make things really interesting. A sample could test as 100% Angus, but end up being something else.

VanC":1mbj32aa said:
If it's advertised as 100% Angus then it should be just that. If it's just advertised as Angus, and it has some Angus in it, then what the heck. Personnally, I don't think most people will care, as long as it's good meat.

This has got me to thinking. Does anybody know if the DNA markers for Angus and Red Angus are the same? If so, it could make things really interesting. A sample could test as 100% Angus, but end up being something else.

I agree. If they advertise 100% Angus, it should be. And some of these were 100% Angus. But it's not the Angus breed's fault that Hardees, Bilotti's, etc. are misleading the public about their product.

I don't know about the Red Angus markers. Notice that they tested for "Aberdeen Angus", not American Angus. Makes one wonder.....

MikeC":3l6a7btz said:
I have a hard time understanding why the UK breeders want to DNA sample test the meat at the retail counter and verify it either 50% or 100% Angus to protect their breed/patent and the AAA and CAB has fought it when the USDA suggested they do so?

I do not care what UK breeders want. As we all know they are not really up to snuff on things anyway. No one wants their meat and no one will. It still does not say were the samples came from. And from previous discussions on these board every one has said the breed is not the same. The claims of dairy influence and other breeds. It is this simple. When you are on top every one wants to knock you off. Period.

MikeC":hwjtg2vh said:

Well, you have a hard time understanding a lot of things. I don't remember the USDA suggesting they should. Got a link? CAB meets the specifications set out and approved by the USDA. That's the standard CAB protects and they work very hard to do so.

So should Nolan Ryan Branded Beef be beat up because it's not all from cattle owned by Nolan Ryan? Or Certified Hereford Beef because it's not all 100% Hereford.

That's not what I asked. I asked do you know of ANY branded beef that's advertised as being from Charolais cattle? If not, give us your opinion as to why not.

Truth in advertising? Does a Dodge vehicle contain parts only built by Dodge? Is the Kenmore refrigerator built by Kenmore? Are Honda's built in Japan?

[Their Thickburger is advertised as 100% Angus but D-N-A tests show it's 70% Angus and 30% non-Angus. A spokesperson for the chain said in a statement that "our thickburgers are made with 100% Angus beef." ]

That is pretty slick. I guess if they had tested 1% angus and 99% non angus, they could still say made with 100% angus.

That still being said, I like my calves black.

In my neck of the woods, Angus means black. Are original blueprint is from angus but we cross with Charlais Simmy's Chi's and Maines. The meat we butcher would impress most people. Angus is a promotional deal. How many people could sit down and distinguish between two different breeds in a steak. Angus has stood for good quality as long as its been around. As long as their is nothing wrong with the products that use that name. Why not let them. Most people are just pissed that their own breeds aren't demanding as much attention. Maybe you should take some lessons from the Angus Associations instead of complaining about them!

Jim Riemann, President CAB LLC to USDA listening session:

"I encourage USDAs Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff to withdraw all current label approvals and withhold approval of all label applications that identify product as DNA verified Angus........................"

I want my coffee an calves the same color, black.

Genetic test developed to crack down on fake Angus beef
Camillo Fracassini

SCIENTISTS have developed a DNA test for Aberdeen Angus beef to clamp down on the trade in counterfeit meat which is costing Scots farmers up to £30m a year.
Each year thousands of shoppers are being conned into buying fake Aberdeen Angus beef passed off as the genuine article by unscrupulous retailers.

Now the Aberdeen-Angus Cattle Society (AACS) and Eurofins, a food testing laboratory, have devised a test that can establish conclusively whether meat comes from genuine stock or other breeds.

The world-renowned meat — famous for its taste and texture — fetches up to £23 a kilogram, compared with £16 for sirloin steak. Sales of the meat in the UK are worth about £150m a year.

According to a recent investigation involving local trading standards officers, about 20% of the beef sold as Aberdeen Angus by butchers in England is not authentic.

The test, which costs about £100 and is based on the unique DNA pattern of Aberdeen Angus cattle, is expected to be used by council trading standards officers and retailers to stamp out fraud.

"This is a fool-proof test that will allow retailers to routinely check product authenticity to ensure consumer rights are protected," said Ron McHattie, chief executive of the AACS. "As with any other premium product that commands a premium price, Aberdeen Angus has attracted unscrupulous individuals who are compromising the brand.

"This test is a powerful tool in the armoury of trading standards officers who, until now, have had to rely on paper trails and animal passports to verify the origin of meat. Hopefully, it will persuade people to put their house in order before the authorities take action."

Dr Engelbert Precht, of Eurofins, who was involved in the development of the test, said there was evidence of widespread fraud. "We were supplied by trading standards officers with 43 samples of beef labelled Aberdeen Angus from supermarkets and butchers across England and found that eight of them were not Aberdeen Angus," he said. "These shops were a mixture of butcher shops and supermarkets. The results of our test are very clear and in blind tests we are sure, beyond 99%, that we can detect non-Aberdeen Angus samples."

The test, which has taken more than two years to develop, identifies subtle differences between patterns of genetic markers to identify whether meat is pure Aberdeen Angus, from an animal sired by an Aberdeen Angus bull, or another breed. It follows unsuccessful attempts by the AACS to register Aberdeen Angus as a trademark and to gain recognition of the meat's "special character" through the European commission.

The meat is famous for its "marbling" — the blend of fat and lean meat which gives it its distinctive flavour and texture.

Nick Nairn, the celebrity chef, said he welcomed the attempt to safeguard the reputation of Scottish Aberdeen Angus beef. "I am a huge fan of native beef which spends more time on grass and less time inside — it has the marbling of fat running through it that keeps it succulent and keeps its taste to the last chew. Intensively reared meat tends to lose its flavour quite quickly in the mouth.

"If you asked me which steak I'd rather have — Aberdeen Angus or one from a continental breed — I would always go for the Angus."

A spokeswoman for Quality Meat Scotland said "This is a good example of the red meat industry embracing new technology to protect its premium in a competitive market place.

"The technology is not only protecting premium brands it also protects consumers' rights. People are prepared to pay more for Aberdeen Angus, and indeed the Scotch beef brand, because they expect it to be a better quality product.

"When there is a premium at stake some unscrupulous companies may be tempted to try and cash in by falsely labelling their beef. People paying a premium in order to get that product have the right to know that it is what it says on the label."

I want to say a couple of things.

CAB is a good thing for ALL beef sold. CAB can be used advantageously at EVERY sale point whether there is any % Angus or not.

There is no truth in advertising.

That's all I'm saying.

PS- One other thing, I was a salesman for a number of years. And did well at it.

That's really all I'm saying.

MikeC":2skj5fp8 said:

"I encourage USDAs Labeling and Consumer Protection Staff to withdraw all current label approvals and withhold approval of all label applications that identify product as DNA verified Angus........................"

Where's the link?

Frankie":v9c0stde said:
MikeC":v9c0stde said:

Where's the link?

Whassamatter? Don't believe it? :lol:

MikeC":3a4ng6ao said:
Frankie":3a4ng6ao said:
MikeC":3a4ng6ao said:

Where's the link?

Whassamatter? Don't believe it? :lol:

Whassamatter, got no link? We don't see the context there. Are you substituting for guest25 and making stuff up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts