No Longer the Boy Scouts

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry":l0u2kp6i said:
Son of Butch":l0u2kp6i said:
Did everyone miss reading where it says the girls and boys will be in SEPARATE units?

I totally missed that. So it begs the question, what is the point?
They should just revamp the Girl Scouts to make it more leadership based!
The point is BSA enrollment has dropped 12% so they are raiding the Girl Scout territory (not affiliated) to recoup losses.
BSA and GSA have no control over what the other does and they each have their own fund raising activities.
My guess is they expect to cherry pick the sisters of boy scouts for easy enrollment and more funding.

I don't see the big deal. Kind of just looks like a merger of the two groups. Probably should have been done a long time ago. The are other organizations like 4H and sports events where it is co-ed all thru high school... I know... I participated in all of them.

I still think boy scouts is a good deal although it was not my cup of tea.

Brute 23":1sq0o5nq said:
I don't see the big deal. Kind of just looks like a merger of the two groups. Probably should have been done a long time ago. The are other organizations like 4H and sports events where it is co-ed all thru high school... I know... I participated in all of them.

I was also very active in 4-H and FFA. But the difference is, the Boy Scouts are out in the woods and sometimes wilderness alone with little supervision. Boys and girls in tents at night in the woods is not asking for a good outcome. Plus the rule of two deep leadership will become very blurred.

sstterry":3f8jh5nk said:
Brute 23":3f8jh5nk said:

I was also very active in 4-H and FFA. But the difference is, the Boy Scouts are out in the woods and sometimes wilderness alone with little supervision. Boys and girls in tents at night in the woods is not asking for a good outcome. Plus the rule of two deep leadership will become very blurred.

I went on plenty of trips with tennis, track, ag, etc that were co-ed and we stayed over night in hotels. There was no way the coaches or teachers could keep track all night who was where.

I'm not saying its good or bad... just saying it already goes on right now.

Brute 23":150ozblu said:
I went on plenty of trips with tennis, track, ag, etc that were co-ed and we stayed over night in hotels. There was no way the coaches or teachers could keep track all night who was where.

And this is what makes the case for non- co-ed camping trips, etc.

I would think that in a small community like ours every single child matters in a club. Our school is k to 9 and only has 74 children in it. A boys group would have so few members it would not work.

Workinonit Farm":3rlas3yg said:
Brute 23":3rlas3yg said:

And this is what makes the case for non- co-ed camping trips, etc.

I'm going to be honest with you... just because it's an all boys group or all girls group... don't think there is not some hanky panky still going on.

I was asked to help kind of chaperone a 16 year olds birthday party. While doing a head count I came across two boys "hiding in the hay"... I mean that both literally and figuratively. They crawled off in between the round bales with a blanket. They did not want to admit there were 2 but I kept coming up 1 kid short on the head count. After thinking about it I thought what guy would be in the hay by himself. I did not know the boy and girl count, just the total, so I went back expecting a little girl to pop up. It was another dude. I confirmed what I assumed with the 16 year old who was having the birthday, that I knew.

Son of Butch":2yr34ht9 said:
sstterry":2yr34ht9 said:
Son of Butch":2yr34ht9 said:
Did everyone miss reading where it says the girls and boys will be in SEPARATE units?

I totally missed that. So it begs the question, what is the point?
They should just revamp the Girl Scouts to make it more leadership based!
The point is BSA enrollment has dropped 12% so they are raiding the Girl Scout territory (not affiliated) to recoup losses.
BSA and GSA have no control over what the other does and they each have their own fund raising activities.
My guess is they expect to cherry pick the sisters of boy scouts for easy enrollment and more funding.

Thank you for "getting it." It's not the GS doing this (I'd bet they don't like it one bit). It's the BSA opening up to girls to goose up their enrollment. Trying to poach from the GS.
I was a GS for years. Our regular meetings during the school year were lame, but we had a great big wooded summer camp, with streams, tents, snakes, hikes til we were near-dead, cookouts over campfires, and a witch. It was epic.

sstterry":3b7phy5u said:
Son of Butch":3b7phy5u said:

I totally missed that. So it begs the question, what is the point? They should just revamp the Girl Scouts to make it more leadership based!
I did see that but the article didn't elaborate. Define "separate". Does that mean the boy/girl scouts have completely separate chapters & activities or does that mean co-ed with separate facilities on camping trips. Separate facilities is the equivalent of a hot wire separating the bulls from the cows (or in this case, heifers).

Had a family friend that was a leader in the boy scouts that would always ask my brothers and I to join the scouts. We always thought they were kind of girly anyhow. Was always glad that dad and mom never made us join. We were to busy on the farm to go play boy scout anyway. Heck my senior year in high school the FFA had a higher percentage of ladies than guys. The guys did more at the vocational school with that group than FFA.

Son of Butch":9gnf4v3b said:
The point is BSA enrollment has dropped 12% so they are raiding the Girl Scout territory (not affiliated) to recoup losses. BSA and GSA have no control over what the other does and they each have their own fund raising activities. My guess is they expect to cherry pick the sisters of boy scouts for easy enrollment and more funding.

I was a scout master for 6 years. All my kids are Eagles. Our troop was based on high adventure. We winter camped in BWCA, did canoe trips, did cycling trips, horse packed in MT n shot praire dogs along on the way, did a week per year at summer camp, and ... We had several Dads forcing their kids to sign up so they could also go on the high adventure trips.

Some of our best BSA leaders were Grandmas. They were usually trying to backfill a single parent family, and were thrilled with any male leadership they could leverage, but did summer camp and admin rather than high adventure.

Not all these activities were sanctioned by BSA - - so we had some unsanctioned camping events for troop families and then girls n guns n throwing axes could come along. NO girls went camping w/o their mothers.

Stocker Steve":cv8rae68 said:
Son of Butch":cv8rae68 said:
The point is BSA enrollment has dropped 12% so they are raiding the Girl Scout territory (not affiliated) to recoup losses. BSA and GSA have no control over what the other does and they each have their own fund raising activities. My guess is they expect to cherry pick the sisters of boy scouts for easy enrollment and more funding.

I was a scout master for 6 years. All my kids are Eagles. Our troop was based on high adventure. We winter camped in BWCA, did canoe trips, did cycling trips, horse packed in MT n shot praire dogs along on the way, did a week per year at summer camp, and ... We had several Dads forcing their kids to sign up so they could also go on the high adventure trips.

Some of our best BSA leaders were Grandmas. They were usually trying to backfill a single parent family, and were thrilled with any male leadership they could leverage, but did summer camp and admin rather than high adventure.

Not all these activities were sanctioned by BSA - - so we had some unsanctioned camping events for troop families and then girls n guns n throwing axes could come along. NO girls went camping w/o their mothers.
NICE!!

slick4591":nfpggjnk said:
Not that I agree, but it's probably better they do this.

Boy Scouts to Provide Condoms at World Scout Jamboree

Quotes from the World Organization of the Scout Movement (this was done in the 1990's at the urging of UNAIDS, UNICEF, the World Health Organisation and the UNFPA) :

"This decision was made by the World Organization of the Scout Movement, not Boy Scouts of America; condoms have been available at these events since the early 1990s and an official policy mandating condoms was implemented in 2002; the 2019 World Scout Jamboree won't be the first such event with women and girls in attendance."

"If you are curious about how co-ed Scouting works, you have to see how the rest of the world does it. Of the 169 members of the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM), only fourteen countries have specifically boys-only Scouting. So that means that our co-hosts, Canada and Mexico, will be bringing tons of young women to the 2019 WSJ. Not to mention, almost every other nation across the globe will be joining them!"

sstterry":k0hyt04p said:
slick4591":k0hyt04p said:
Not that I agree, but it's probably better they do this.

Boy Scouts to Provide Condoms at World Scout Jamboree

Quotes from the World Organization of the Scout Movement (this was done in the 1990's at the urging of UNAIDS, UNICEF, the World Health Organisation and the UNFPA) :

"This decision was made by the World Organization of the Scout Movement, not Boy Scouts of America; condoms have been available at these events since the early 1990s and an official policy mandating condoms was implemented in 2002; the 2019 World Scout Jamboree won't be the first such event with women and girls in attendance."

"If you are curious about how co-ed Scouting works, you have to see how the rest of the world does it. Of the 169 members of the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM), only fourteen countries have specifically boys-only Scouting. So that means that our co-hosts, Canada and Mexico, will be bringing tons of young women to the 2019 WSJ. Not to mention, almost every other nation across the globe will be joining them!"

Sounds something like the Olympics.

Latest posts