New AI Tech

Help Support CattleToday:

RisingCreekHerefords

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently got my AI certification. I will be the first to admit that I am NOT that good at it yet. I need practice. However, I don't have many of my own that are open for me to breed or at least practice on. I have offered to breed others at cost or split the cost but so far, no one wants me practicing on their cows. Does anyone have any other ideas how I may get some practice under my belt?

Thanks!

Most folks are not going to be willing to pay you to practice on their cattle. Might let you try it for no charge "once" . Open cattle put folks out of business.

How do you get some sort of certification if by your own admission that you are not real good at it? Sounds like every child player receives a prize sort of thing. If you are wanting to improve I would start off by buying in a few open cows and run them in each day and just practice. Once you gain confidence friends may want you to do some of their cows.
Ken

I'm not looking to charge anyone until I can get a little practice under my belt. Buying open cows isn't an option or I would just go do that and breed them for myself. Problem solved. But I can't. I don't mind to share cost with an owner. But I can't repeatedly buy cidrs, hormones, semen, etc for other people's cows. Ken, I would like to know how many people you think would be a professional at AIing after going through 3 days to a week of school. I'm very much capable of passing everything to get my certification. I'm assuming by your thoughts you would let a doctor a week out of school preform an invasive surgery or a dentist fresh out of school to preform a root canal on you hours after graduation. Everyone has to start somewhere. So, despite your thoughts, i'm not incompetent and passed my certification with skill. Thank you very much.

Maybe your neighbors would let you practice on their cows before/after they have their normal tech do the breeding? That way they aren't taking any real risk of open cows, and in reality could get a couple extra pregnancies from it. If they are already setting the cows up, all they (and/or you) have to cover is the cost of the semen and breeding sleeve.

RisingCreekHerefords":b6cmlkdw said:
I'm not looking to charge anyone until I can get a little practice under my belt. Buying open cows isn't an option or I would just go do that and breed them for myself. Problem solved. But I can't. I don't mind to share cost with an owner. But I can't repeatedly buy cidrs, hormones, semen, etc for other people's cows. Ken, I would like to know how many people you think would be a professional at AIing after going through 3 days to a week of school. I'm very much capable of passing everything to get my certification. I'm assuming by your thoughts you would let a doctor a week out of school preform an invasive surgery or a dentist fresh out of school to preform a root canal on you hours after graduation. Everyone has to start somewhere. So, despite your thoughts, i'm not incompetent and passed my certification with skill. Thank you very much.
Seems like you are a little sensitive. You didn't do the course for a week to be a doctor or a dentist - you learnt one skill, passed the tests so you are as good at it as anyone coming out of a course. Don't sell yourself short - advertise yourself as a recently qualified tech that is looking for hands on (in) experience. Godd luck

RisingCreekHerefords":2ds1k2rh said:
I think very few people would be competent enough to go out and be a " New AI Tech" after completing a basic inseminators course, that is why I questioned the issueing of the certification. I think that certificate should be kept in a drawer until you have done enough to feel confident in your own skills before inflicting yourself on the general public. I don't think AI schools are meant to roll out inseminators at the end of the class, they are designed to introduce you to the principals of AI with a few successfull inseminations under your belt, under supervision and with enough knowledge to go home and start gaining experience in your own herd. The big, big majority will stop there and only do their own. Rising Creek, you are no different to any one else having completed a course, I am not suggesting that what you have achieved is any different to anyone else, you just have to be patient. Set up as many of your own as possible to do and when you are getting some of those to stick try and interest neighbours. Even buying 1 old cow to keep in the yards and go down each evening and pass a rod in her, when you are tired of her sell her and buy another one. Get genital tracts from the slaughterhouse and pass the rod blindfolded. If you are really serious about gaining experience, you will find ways.
Try Pm'ing Cow Pollinater to get some tips, he is self taught and built up a big insemination run.
Ken

Maybe post an ad on craigslist stating you will A.I. for others at no cost (free arm service,semen cost only). friend of mine did that and she got a few jobs around her. They were a lot of family type milk cow deals, but they were very happy to work with her and she got some good practice. Just a though...
Jenna

Do you have a sale barn nearby?

Fiance is also a "New AI Tech" and our sale barn hosts the AI school occasionally. They offered to let new techs practice and refresh a little before breeding season. We know a lot of people at our sale barn, but I don't know your situation. Might not hurt to ask.

If you have any dairies close by see if they'll let you breed behind their bull. You can sell them some cheap youngsire semen so their cost is minimal but there's very little risk to them since they already have a bull covering the cows. All it can do is help them.

Latest posts