Heifer killed old cows new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

@Lucky ....Oh, I agree that the cows probably did trample the calves in their efforts to try to protect their calves... what I meant was that if they had just stood around I don't think it would have stopped the buzzards from going after the calf either... and yeah, you think they would be more careful, but it is that instinct to protect and attack anything trying to hurt their calf and they just don't have the capacity to "think about" how not to hurt the calf either...
I am truly sorry for those losses... and no, you are right, you can't be everywhere.... da@% those black ba@$%rds.....

@Lucky ....Oh, I agree that the cows probably did trample the calves in their efforts to try to protect their calves... what I meant was that if they had just stood around I don't think it would have stopped the buzzards from going after the calf either... and yeah, you think they would be more careful, but it is that instinct to protect and attack anything trying to hurt their calf and they just don't have the capacity to "think about" how not to hurt the calf either...
I am truly sorry for those losses... and no, you are right, you can't be everywhere.... da@% those black ba@$%rds.....
We've had cattle for about 15 yrs now and this is the first year my wife has really helped out allot. She's so mad at these buzzards she wsnts to kill them all. The first calf we lost it's mother went back and fought buzzards off the carcass for 3 days. My wife was there within I'd guess 30 minutes both times.

I would be building me a buzzard trap
I don't think there's enough buzzards to warrent a trap. They just gang up from time to time. Might start shooting more of them though. It's the white winged ones that cause the trouble.

Edit: The heifer in the pic stayed with her baby for 3 days before she finally left it for good. It's sad to watch them like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts