Heifer killed old cows new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Jzur55

Reaction score
Old cow had a new calf tonight. Went and checked her tonight and our 2 year old heifer mounted the mom and trampled the calf. We're somewhat new to raising cattle. I think the heifer is in heat. Is this a normal thing? Should I separate my late Breda from my inbred heifers?

Has the 2 year old heifer ever been in calf? Does she have a baby of her own? I keep my open heifers separated unless it is breeding season. I do have pregnant heifers together with cows.

That heifer would have just bought a ticket to the salebarn.
It's cheaper to get a better cow with today's inputs .
Inputs never come down you can bet the farm cattle prices will. In over fifty years playing this game it's a ten year cycle from top to bottom.

Cattle in heat are a danger as they are only paying attention to their hormones. Youngstock can be as well; I saw a new calf get pretty mauled when it slipped into a pen of Holstein heifers. Bunch of curious teenage bullies. Keep them separated if you can.

We had a cow trample her newborn calf to death last week trying to fend off buzzards. I'm sure had she just stood there by the calf the buzzards wouldn't have done a thing. We're dealing with animals and they act off instinct instead of reasoning. Things happen. I'd keep the heifer if you like her.

Has the 2 year old heifer ever been in calf? Does she have a baby of her own? I keep my open heifers separated unless it is breeding season. I do have pregnant heifers together with cows.
The heifer has never been with calf.

Thank you all for the replies. She's a nice heifer and been no trouble before this. I figured it had to do with her hormones.

They're picking the eyes out of a calf as it's being born . . . . .
Oh wait! Got to go to TPWD office and get a permit! (not) ;)

They're picking the eyes out of a calf as it's being born . . . . .
Oh wait! Got to go to TPWD office and get a permit! (not) ;)
Get the permit ahead of time. Saves you hassle if someone wants to be a turd. And if you're sitting there enough to see them actually going after a calf, you probably are already protecting your calves a little more than a monthly check on pasture cows…

We had a cow trample her newborn calf to death last week trying to fend off buzzards. I'm sure had she just stood there by the calf the buzzards wouldn't have done a thing. We're dealing with animals and they act off instinct instead of reasoning. Things happen. I'd keep the heifer if you like her.
Can't agree with you on the cow standing by and the buzzards not doing anything... had a bunch surround a heifer with a new calf.... a couple on one side would spread their wings and actually try to approach... when the heifer was chasing them off, a couple from the other side nearly got to the calf... I was coming down off the hill and was trying to not upset the heifer, but when I saw that I charged down there and managed to scare off the sorry pieces of crap before they got the calf from the other side... like coyotes and other predators, they worked in unison to get to the calf... I made sure the calf was up and quietly guided the heifer and her calf into the trees and alot of undergrowth where the buzzards won't go because they do not like to be in an area that they cannot get out of easily... And, the owner's daughter was staying at the house there and was the first one to see them and went down there on the 4 wheeler because she thought they were after a dead animal... kept them off until I got there... sort of a "bleeding heart type"... she was totally SHOCKED at that sort of behaviour... she said but they are "scavengers" and I said yeah, and they also are predatory and will kill a helpless newborn... nature is not "walt disney land" in real life...

So these Texas Parks and Wildlife permits allow a rancher ro kill a whopping 5 vultures per year? Isn't each and every member of the family also a rancher? Kids, grandmas-- this could add up.

Can't agree with you on the cow standing by and the buzzards not doing anything..
I think both cows tried to protect their calves best they could, that's why the ground is all trampled down to bare dirt around the calf. The buzzards didn't kill the calf the cows stepped on them and killed them. We can't be everywhere all the time and this is just part of it.

Latest posts