Twins? Learned Something New

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I purchased some cows from a Veterinarian, and we were talking about cattle that were one of a pair of twins. I told him that I suspected that my old herd bull Boomer was a twin or his dam, because the heifers I had at the house that were out of him, I could always plan on having at least one to have twins if not two of them. So, I wanted to avoid that problem.

He told me that if I was having that many twins that it was not coming from the animals, but from a strong source of estrogen feed they were eating that was increasing likelihood for them to have twins. At first I thought, that can't be, but the longer I thought about it, it made a lot o sense.

My pasture has more Durana Clover in it than it does grass, which would be the estrogen source. Those cows eat the clover first before they touch the grass. Then when they had heifers that went to the farms in Rutherford, no twins were born. So, genetically, it was the same herd and genetics, but no twins. There was a very slight amount of Durana Clover at that farm. Nell, Bee, and Weeone, had twins often. Nell was the only one that refused the second calf as the other two would take both.

This year, the grazing will be different. My grandson came in and killed all that stinking yellow buttercup off with 2,4DB, that will not kill clover, but it let the Bermuda get a super strong hold on the pasture this year. (I am anxious to see if any of that crap shows up again this spring) I am hoping that it will calm some of the clover down as that Durana is supposed to hang with aggressive grasses. I like that high clover for the protein, and the clover is always putting nitrogen back into the soil which constantly feeds the grasses. I do not want twins with these Piedmontese. They were pregnant before they got here, so I am safe this time. We will see.

The proposed connection between phytoestrogens from legumes and multiple births in cattle is shaky, at best. Most of that work was done with sheep, and it doesn't necessarily carry over to cattle. Plant breeders have reduced phytoestrogen precursors in most Trifolium clover varieties on the market today.
There is a definite, proven genetic component...some breeds are noted for twinning, and US Meat Animal Research Center had developed a composite line of cattle that had twinning rates consistently in the 60% range. ABS marketed semen on some of those Twinners, back in the 1980s

I, too, learned something new about twinning recently, and I've been in the veterinary medical field for over 40 years ... If twins are bilateral - one in each uterine horn - abortion rate can be expected to be ~2%; but if they are unilateral - both implanted in the same uterine horn - abortion rate may approach 40%.

The proposed connection between phytoestrogens from legumes and multiple births in cattle is shaky, at best. Most of that work was done with sheep, and it doesn't necessarily carry over to cattle. Plant breeders have reduced phytoestrogen precursors in most Trifolium clover varieties on the market today.
There is a definite, proven genetic component...some breeds are noted for twinning, and US Meat Animal Research Center had developed a composite line of cattle that had twinning rates consistently in the 60% range. ABS marketed semen on some of those Twinners, back in the 1980s

I, too, learned something new about twinning recently, and I've been in the veterinary medical field for over 40 years ... If twins are bilateral - one in each uterine horn - abortion rate can be expected to be ~2%; but if they are unilateral - both implanted in the same uterine horn - abortion rate may approach 40%.
Would identical twins not need to be in the same horn?

I've never got that technical.
As much as I dislike twins. I always figured that a set of twins every once in a while meant in general that I was meeting or exceeding the nutritional requirements of my cows.
That's not a bad thing.

My thinking is the better the nutrition, the better condition your cows can be in , the better their reproductive health . If the clover thing was true we would have multiple sets of twins , not just the occasional.

Lucky, you say the phytoestrogens have been removed in the clovers today? This field was planted over 20 years ago, and is the same seed from that planting and continues to spread. Durana clover is not like any other clover that I have seen before. It may not grow everywhere, but in the right place, if you plant it, you will die with it. It is now in my yard,

The Vet that I speak of is big in cattle conception, embryo transfers and does more than just raise a few cattle. He has two large vet clinics, and very knowledgeable, and I have learned a lot from him over the time that I have been communicating with him. I find him to be very intelligent, and is known all around the US, and I was told to get in touch with him, so he is not just a jack leg small town vet. He has helped me tremendously. Don't think this man is shaky in the least. I do pay attention to what he says. He does a lot of things...

Yes, my cattle are fat, and are at my Grandson's now, and are still as fat. But no twins. Never missed a year having a calf and never had problems calving except for that one that had a leg bent back. Still having calves in their old age now and fat. What can I say? People love to buy fat cattle. They stop at Sams and want to know why his cattle look like they do. He is on a main highway. Genetics, and genetics and care. Know what you are feeding them. Stay up on things.....

My last fat cow and two hour old calf here on the place. He made a real nice herd bull. Rachel is still as fat and just had another calf a few days ago. Rachel is the shortest cow that I have ever owned and is probably a .7 frame. Here she is trying to stretch as he is just behind a single wire electric fence, but is afraid to stretch out much further in fear of getting her butt knocked off. I pulled him out. P1020068.JPG

That would make sense, since identical twins are a result of a fertilized egg spiltting in two, then each half develops into a fetus. Fraternal twins are when two separate eggs are fertilized at the same time.
Yes, I realize that. I guess where I was going with my post was that maternal twins seem to be much less common than fraternal and was thinking that being unilateral should explain at least part of the reason

5-6's don't hurt anything.
My cows calve in winter and then I inseminate in spring. I have a fair proportion of young cows which will be condition score 3-4 and I have very little trouble getting those 1st calvers bred back. Older cows will be 5-6.
I am a big believer that for optimum health a cows weight should fluctuate with the seasons, that is how they have evolved, store fat in the good times to be used when things get tough rather than things laid on for them all the time.

Ken

While I believe twins can come from good nutrition i also wonder if there is a genetic connection. I had taken care of a guys cattle for a few years. They were Herefords and the owner desired twins for some strange reason but they would often try to keep genetics that had twins more of the time. The first year I calved them out we had 10 percent of the cows having twins. The next year wasn't too far behind. My own herd under same management would get around 2-3 percent twins.

Latest posts