need information on miniature black angus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

dream catcher

Reaction score
What is the tallest a miniature can be? My daughter has a black angus cow that is 49 inichs and has had two calfs by her and one is 44 inchs and 12 months old and a calf one month old 28 inchs. Now these mesurements are to the top of the back above shoulders.

didn't want them just happened this way. My daughter got mom as a heifer for FFA and did will with her first year but stop growing. SO breed her and her first heifer has done same thing so said ok first time calf so breed her back to same bull which was VDAR Bando 701 supose to have low birth weight but calfs are supose to grow will. So far that has not happened. SO we just found out people pay good money for minatures and we are going to sell them if we can if that is what they are. Both calfs have nice frames just small. We want a bigger cow. And my daughter loves the black angus.

I may be wrong, but I believe that miniature angus can't be over 42 inches tall. This may vary with other breeds. Try a google search on miniature cattle and you may come up with something more specific.

dream catcher":261eutwy said:
What is the tallest a miniature can be? My daughter has a black angus cow that is 49 inichs and has had two calfs by her and one is 44 inchs and 12 months old and a calf one month old 28 inchs. Now these mesurements are to the top of the back above shoulders.

There is a lot of Information at the American Lowline Registy website. They also have links to many of the lowline breeders.

http://www.usa-lowline.org/

My daughter just sold this small heifer tonight for a good price to a lowline angus breeder he wanted the mother too but my daughter doesn't want to sell her. We also told him if he could sell the full brother bull calf we would give him a percentage. I can not believe the prices on these little ones.

Prices for the lowlines are good. Good quality lowlines can bring premium dollars. They have their sale prices posted on their web site.

2006 National Lowline Sale Summary

Description Total Average
7 bred FB females $67,050 $9,578
12 open FB females $93,000 $7,750
5 open PB females $13,800 $2,760
2 bred 3/4 females $5,900 $2,950
9 open 3/4 females $26,700 $2,967
2 (3/4) cow/calf pairs $7,750 $3,875
10 open females $41,550 $4,155
4.5 FB bulls $30,800 $6,844
3 percentage bulls $ 6,700 $2,233
2 embryo lots (5 ea) $8,000 $4,000
----------- ----------
56.5 lots $301,250 $5,332

Good quality miniature herefords will bring similar prices.

SF":2u67kxfb said:
Prices for the lowlines are good. Good quality lowlines can bring premium dollars. They have their sale prices posted on their web site.

----------- ----------

Ya, so were prices on Alpacas, ostiches, llamas, emus, and Rex Rabbits. This is simply another agricultural Ponzi scheme. :roll:

KMacGinley":2flzxekq said:
Ya, so were prices on Alpacas, ostiches, llamas, emus, and Rex Rabbits. This is simply another agricultural Ponzi scheme. :roll:

So what about the them $30k to $100k full size hereford, angus, etc... full blood animals that sell in some of the sales. Are they all Ponzi schemes too?

I know people who make money with Alpacas, ostriches, etc.... I also know many who lose or have lost money with them. I know folks who lose money in the cattle business too. If the person who buys the animal is happy with it, and comfortable with the price they pay for it, then it is a good deal for all parties.

To each there own, and opinions do vary. Lowlines are expensive, but there is a market for them, and has been for the past 30 years or so. These cattle are not knew, they've been around for a long time.

SF":3gfwuiaa said:
KMacGinley":3gfwuiaa said:

So what about the them $30k to $100k full size hereford, angus, etc... full blood animals that sell in some of the sales. Are they all Ponzi schemes too?

I know people who make money with Alpacas, ostriches, etc.... I also know many who lose or have lost money with them. I know folks who lose money in the cattle business too. If the person who buys the animal is happy with it, and comfortable with the price they pay for it, then it is a good deal for all parties.

To each there own, and opinions do vary. Lowlines are expensive, but there is a market for them, and has been for the past 30 years or so. These cattle are not knew, they've been around for a long time.

Uh huh you are right, they are not new. They nearly killed off the British breeds in the late 60s because they were so impractical and divorced from reality. As for the people that make money with alpacas and ostriches they are the point of the pyramid in those ponzi schemes. The price continues to drop from there when people realize that there is no Real demand for their product.
Paying thousands for those Big high dollar cattle may or may not be crazy, but at least there is a pretty big market for their decendants and they are not producing 350-400 lb over conditioned carcasses with a growth rate like a glacier moving south. :D

KMacGinley":11g2o5oh said:
SF":11g2o5oh said:
KMacGinley":11g2o5oh said:

Uh huh you are right, they are not new. They nearly killed off the British breeds in the late 60s because they were so impractical and divorced from reality. As for the people that make money with alpacas and ostriches they are the point of the pyramid in those ponzi schemes. The price continues to drop from there when people realize that there is no Real demand for their product.
Paying thousands for those Big high dollar cattle may or may not be crazy, but at least there is a pretty big market for their decendants and they are not producing 350-400 lb over conditioned carcasses with a growth rate like a glacier moving south. :D

Mac your missing the whole point on the little belly draggin porkers, there cute kinda like a baby hippo worth about as much IMO. Sounds like some of these Cattleman have a plan to take the beef industry back a couple hundred years. They might be on to something here the Ranchette's could run a herd of 5 or so on there ten acre Southfork Ranch with the F-250 with the King Ranch package of course.
Now these big time cattleman would have braggin rights at social events and the all important ag exepmtion on there city property.

Caustic Burno":11brp4hf said:
KMacGinley":11brp4hf said:
SF":11brp4hf said:
KMacGinley":11brp4hf said:

Mac your missing the whole point on the little belly draggin porkers, there cute kinda like a baby hippo worth about as much IMO. Sounds like some of these Cattleman have a plan to take the beef industry back a couple hundred years. They might be on to something here the Ranchette's could run a herd of 5 or so on there ten acre Southfork Ranch with the F-250 with the King Ranch package of course.
Now these big time cattleman would have braggin rights at social events and the all important ag exepmtion on there city property.

Once again, you are so right CB. That is the target market. You hit the nail on the head.

KMacGinley":1i5a7but said:

There is a pretty good market for the little ones too. No one is trying to take over the beef industry with these smaller cattle. But they do serve a place in the market, if you can't see it, you are blind to it. It is simply a niche market for some.
Don't know what breed of cattle you referring to with the slow growth rates, must be your own herd. We raise lots of miniature herefords and have found exactly the opposite. We have found them to be early maturing.

As I've said before, to each their own.

SF":3q9zot7s said:

----------- ----------

WHY?????????????????????

Norris

SF":3m5kjand said:
KMacGinley":3m5kjand said:

There is a pretty good market for the little ones too. No one is trying to take over the beef industry with these smaller cattle. But they do serve a place in the market, if you can't see it, you are blind to it. It is simply a niche market for some.
Don't know what breed of cattle you referring to with the slow growth rates, must be your own herd. We raise lots of miniature herefords and have found exactly the opposite. We have found them to be early maturing.

As I've said before, to each their own.

My own herd? :lol: :lol: My calves wean on grass at or above the average miniature's yearling weight. Some people like poodles and cats too I guess. :D

KMacGinley":ewgjgtyi said:
...My own herd? :lol: :lol: My calves wean on grass at or above the average miniature's yearling weight. Some people like poodles and cats too I guess. :D

What is the average miniature yearling's weight. I don't believe I've ever seen a published number on that. I'd like to though. Guess it would depend on the breed and just how miniature they were. I'm glad you wean calves bigger than yearling miniatures though.

And if you are on track with the national average for commerical cattlemen, you are making about $100 per head profit. If you are doing twice as good a job as the national average you are making a whopping $200 per head. I do hope you make more than that though. If you have invested all that one must to raise cattle, you certainly deserve more than a $200 per cow return. Congrats on weaning big healthy calves.

What the heck are you talking about SF? I don't remember mentioning anything about how much money I or anyone else is making on this thread. :)

Latest posts