My new Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Group of breeders in North Alabama got together and put on presentation I attended and they sell allot directly to grocery stores and I gotta say the profit margins they were describing were really nice even factoring in the added time and feed.

Stocker Steve said:
So a low cost Wagyu man should consider be buying black and white cull cows ?
Maybe buy some Wagyu semen and work an arrangement with a local dairyman you trust to have
him breed some of his holstein heifers to Wagyu and buy the calves.

I'm trying to select Waygu sires tested AA rather than VV or AV to use, not sure how much difference
there is between them, but some literature suggests AA gene gives the highest quality fat with the
lowest melting point.

Dave They simply don't work on rangeland here. They spend the summer on flat irrigated pasture and the commercial cows wean bigger calves climbing the hills searching for sparse grass. I think you would need a real big premium on the price to make them work. [/quote said:
One of my concerns is how much additional labor it can take for premium priced products. Any estimate on labor hours per cow for summering on rangeland vs. irrigated pasture?

I am told that they simply won't work on the rangeland. They get unloaded in a meadow and they stay there or right by the water hole. There is grass 40 feet into the trees but they aren't going to go there no matter how hungry they get. I have helped work them a couple times. That is my only experience with them. They're not the smartest creatures I have ever been around. Crossing them with a Holstein wouldn't hurt. The purebreds I have been around it is hard to tell a dry cow from a fresh one. The milk EPD is in negative numbers.

NonTypicalCPA said:
Son of Butch said:
My Wagyu experiment is slowly continuing. I've got a few 1/2 and 3/4 wagyu, but so far I only have
1 steer, 1st calf heifer and 1 heifer calf that have reached 7/8 wagyu.
Got any pictures of those 7/8 calves? Those destined for the freezer?
I'm too old.
While I enjoy everyone's pictures, I do not have any of mine and wouldn't know how to load them
if I did. Somewhere in my computer are carcass pictures taken by our butcher of the 1st 1/2 wagyu
steer we butchered, but I'm not even sure how to access them.

Son of Butch said:
NonTypicalCPA said:
Son of Butch said:
My Wagyu experiment is slowly continuing. I've got a few 1/2 and 3/4 wagyu, but so far I only have
1 steer, 1st calf heifer and 1 heifer calf that have reached 7/8 wagyu.
Got any pictures of those 7/8 calves? Those destined for the freezer?
I'm too old.
While I enjoy everyone's pictures, I do not have any of mine and wouldn't know how to load them
if I did. Somewhere in my computer are carcass pictures taken by our butcher of the 1st 1/2 wagyu
steer we butchered, but I'm not even sure how to access them.
I can relate to that SOB.

Ken

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable. I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush. I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
I don't get the fact that you are going to make up all the lost revenue by the time you have "Certified Wagyu" meat.
Guess I'm not very adventurist. I would NEVER breed something I didn't enjoy LOOKING at and have the pride (vanity!!!) of owning them. I'm just stuck in my ways. It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
Sorry, not being critical to those that want to try it. I wish you luck.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush.
I have never heard anyone who has ever eaten Wagyu describe it as mush!

By chance a dairy farmer friend stopped by this spring on the day a 3/4 wagyu bull calf was born.
The following weekend his wife (a doctor) made reservations at a fancy schmancy restaurant in the
Twin Cities. The appetizer was Wagyu cooked table side and the cook/server started telling them
about the breed/meat. He said, Hey, Butch has some of those. He called me the next day and told
me it cost a hand and a foot, (because it was a small portion) but was the BEST MEAT he had ever
had in his life. He said, don't cut the nuts off that bull calf. I want to buy him to breed my heifers.
I laughed and said, sorry he's tagged for eating, buy some wagyu semen and raise your own. But
in a couple of years when he's ready we'll have you over for dinner to see what you think.

SOB - you are sorta correct - "I" said they would be like mush.
"Stickney said:
we pride ourselves on raising high quality beef for direct to consumer buyers. So was the Wagyu cross leaps and bounds better? No, not exactly. But as my brother said, that's because your angus beef is already so good. The wagyu cross has some really interesting buttery qualities. Our customers have liked it very much and are willing to pay a premium for it.
Jeanne:
Do we really need that much marbling to be a great eating experience?? Bottom line - we all want to sit down and invite guests and WOW them with our great beef. I do that now. If it was more tender and juicy, I would think it would be like mush.
I still stick my "opinion", I think we can produce a great eating experience without sacrificing weight/muscling.

I realize you are trying a nitch market and are hoping to NET a better profit. That's what makes farming so great. We can all do what WE WANT TO DO. Just not something for ME. Not trying to talk anyone out of what they are pursuing, just poking to hear your thoughts.

Son of Butch said:
NonTypicalCPA said:
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He's doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Easy to spot his problem right off the bat.... he's got too good of a home. :)
Looks like he is waiting for his beer, music and massage :D

They reckon the beer is to improve appetite and the massage for muscle tone/excersise but I have my own theory, lend me your ear and I will tell you.
The beer makes the animal tipsy and increases body temperature thus softening the fat before it goes through a vigourous 'fat distributing pounding'...the fat is squished, pushed & pounded between every muscle fibre...thus the superior intramuscular fat distribution or marbiling as some would have it in the Wagyu folks. This will work with any breed of animal given the same treatment :p :D

https://youtu.be/VSU5Iu9Z9qI

NonTypicalCPA, good luck with your venture.

My theory is those 6 bottles of beer a day are only given when cameras are on or boss is around.
Otherwise at least 4 of them end up with the masseuse. I've also seen videos where rice wine/saki is spit misted onto the animals for supposed insect control. I think more gets swallowed than spit.

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable.
I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush.
I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
No Jeanne you said what was quoted, spin it how ever you wish.
Of course you are entitled to any opinion you wish.

But the fact remains Wagyu Steaks have won more World Steak Tasting Contests than all other breeds combined.

I get the fact that Wagyu meat is supposed to be extremely valuable. I get that the meat is supposed to be crazy marbled.
I don't get WHY you want the meat soooo tender that it is like mush. I don't see a lot of people willing to PAY the price it would need to be worth to make up the lack of muscling.
I don't get the fact that you are going to make up all the lost revenue by the time you have "Certified Wagyu" meat.
Guess I'm not very adventurist. I would NEVER breed something I didn't enjoy LOOKING at and have the pride (vanity!!!) of owning them. I'm just stuck in my ways. It just looks/sounds like foo-foo dust to me.
Sorry, not being critical to those that want to try it. I wish you luck.
Why are you so negative Nancy? I don't understand why you are always criticize every cattle because they don't look like your precious "Simmental" cattle?

alisonb said:
Son of Butch said:
NonTypicalCPA said:
Updating this thread with a few new pics of our bull.
He's doing well and has been a good boy to work with.

Easy to spot his problem right off the bat.... he's got too good of a home. :)
Looks like he is waiting for his beer, music and massage :D

They reckon the beer is to improve appetite and the massage for muscle tone/excersise but I have my own theory, lend me your ear and I will tell you.
The beer makes the animal tipsy and increases body temperature thus softening the fat before it goes through a vigourous 'fat distributing pounding'...the fat is squished, pushed & pounded between every muscle fibre...thus the superior intramuscular fat distribution or marbiling as some would have it in the Wagyu folks. This will work with any breed of animal given the same treatment :p :D

https://youtu.be/VSU5Iu9Z9qI

NonTypicalCPA, good luck with your venture.
No wonder the meat is so expensive, I seen several hundred $ spent on them..just in that short clip.,.

As I have said before Wagyu meat is not Wagyu meat until it is fed in the Wagyu way and for the Wagyu period of time. Otherwise it is just meat with the marketing advantages of saying it is of Wagyu origins.

Don't expect a premium at the salebarn unless you have your buyers lined up.

Ken

Latest posts