My new Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M":2g8bv1uk said:
He looks depressed..

I believe I`d be depressed if I had anything on the farm that looked like that. There may be some good to him but I`m sorry he looks like a Craigslist special to me I`ll pass on the Wagyu.

jd720":2hqswuxo said:
Lazy M":2hqswuxo said:
He looks depressed..

I believe I`d be depressed if I had anything on the farm that looked like that. There may be some good to him but I`m sorry he looks like a Craigslist special to me I`ll pass on the Wagyu.
This is where the old saying fits, it's whats on the inside that counts...

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with jd. I have kept my mouth shut, but --- I would be hard pressed to board an animal that looked like that, let alone own one. Do your Belties not grade well?? You are taking a really nice looking animal (Beltie) and breeding it to "that"???
I really do not understand this "thing" about needing more marbling.
As most of you know, I raise PB Simmental cattle.
Anyway, I have been feeding out some freezer trade fall born steers. We harvested 3 on Oct 5 - all Sept & Oct born (so about 12-12.5 months old). They were 720#, 728#, & 786#. They are loaded with marbling. They are super tender. Sold halves for $3.25/lb, they pay cut/wrap/kill and are booked for next year. If you can produce a great eating experience, why would you resort to Wagyu? Aren't you going to sacrifice a lot of final weight on everything?
Or, do you think being able to say it is 1/2 Wagyu, people are going to be willing to pay enough extra big bucks to offset the poor muscling? I am just lost at the concept of wanting to get into them. I must really be missing something. I'm not toooo old to learn new tricks - so please educate me.

jd720":1dhjhqsu said:
Lazy M":1dhjhqsu said:
He looks depressed..

I agree but he probably is a fine specimen as far as wagyu goes. I'm starting to really wonder if poor phenotype correlates to good meat quality.. it seems that the Angus bulls with really high $B look more and more like wagyu type cattle..

Lazy M":2zlr3pvi said:
jd720":2zlr3pvi said:
Lazy M":2zlr3pvi said:
He looks depressed..

I agree but he probably is a fine specimen as far as wagyu goes. I'm starting to really wonder if poor phenotype correlates to good meat quality.. it seems that the Angus bulls with really high $B look more and more like wagyu type cattle..
Maybe Bright Raven or someone can weigh in on this with a science-based explanation (?)

I feel your pain, NonTypicalCPA. Not many like my breed either, but the bottom line is how many dollars they'll bring in. Hope yours does well.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":31vkocwr said:
IMHO - the Angus breeders concentrating on numbers are not LOOKING at their cattle.

I couldn`t agree more it seems the better the numbers are the worse they look. It`s a good way to end up with a bunch of very fine boned chicken legged cattle with nothing in the rear end. I probably go extreme over the looks of my cows but I have to look at them everyday and it`s much more enjoyable if I like what I`m seeing in the pasture.

No hard feelings - I have thick skin. If everyone did and liked the same thing, life would be pretty boring. When I'm taking a bite of a nice steak I don't stop and remember his big arse or coat color, polled or not, long/short. When you've got a local restaurant paying $9,000 for a 28 month old fullblood, that get's my attention. Now mine wont be fullbloods, yet. If this experiment goes well then I may switch over, time will tell. I'm not trying to make a living, just having fun. Plus this ugly thing of a bull is pretty easy to be around, while my beautifully thick, long and handsome Beltie bull was a pain in my arse.

He did have a BSE that was good. I'll see if I can put my hands on it and let you know the scrotal size.

One of my friends had two Wyagu steaks shipped to me from Japan, they were 300 dollars. They were good, but not 300 dollar good. I've had filets from beef I raised that was close.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":28wvsaca said:
IMHO - the Angus breeders concentrating on numbers are not LOOKING at their cattle.
Maybe that's the case. It could also be the case that they have a goal in mind of producing the highest quality end product as possible; even if that means that they sacrifice what you and I consider good phenotype.
Personally I'm commercial so I'm more concerned with quick growth and early development..

Lazy M":1m5z0vrg said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1m5z0vrg said:
Maybe that's the case. It could also be the case that they have a goal in mind of producing the highest quality end product as possible; even if that means that they sacrifice what you and I consider good phenotype.
Personally I'm commercial so I'm more concerned with quick growth and early development..
But, you and I are probably more interested in structure and good feet than it seems some of the numbers guys are.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19g5x5ud said:
and I think too many had rather look at their cattle..and not worried about the plate,its going to wind up on..

NonTypicalCPA":16v6flg2 said:
No hard feelings - I have thick skin. If everyone did and liked the same thing, life would be pretty boring. When I'm taking a bite of a nice steak I don't stop and remember his big arse or coat color, polled or not, long/short. When you've got a local restaurant paying $9,000 for a 28 month old fullblood, that get's my attention. Now mine wont be fullbloods, yet. If this experiment goes well then I may switch over, time will tell. I'm not trying to make a living, just having fun. Plus this ugly thing of a bull is pretty easy to be around, while my beautifully thick, long and handsome Beltie bull was a pain in my arse.

He did have a BSE that was good. I'll see if I can put my hands on it and let you know the scrotal size.
someone's gotta be a pioneer...

ALACOWMAN":1i96tsa3 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1i96tsa3 said:
and I think too many had rather look at their cattle..and not worried about the plate,its going to wind up on..
There has to be a "happy medium". Cattle must be functional and easy keeping.
For a breed that was/is supposed to be the marbling king, there is a lot of attention paid to try to improve carcass data. Hmmmm.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":260r8cfz said:
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with jd. I have kept my mouth shut, but --- I would be hard pressed to board an animal that looked like that, let alone own one. Do your Belties not grade well?? You are taking a really nice looking animal (Beltie) and breeding it to "that"???
I really do not understand this "thing" about needing more marbling.
As most of you know, I raise PB Simmental cattle.
Anyway, I have been feeding out some freezer trade fall born steers. We harvested 3 on Oct 5 - all Sept & Oct born (so about 12-12.5 months old). They were 720#, 728#, & 786#. They are loaded with marbling. They are super tender. Sold halves for $3.25/lb, they pay cut/wrap/kill and are booked for next year. If you can produce a great eating experience, why would you resort to Wagyu? Aren't you going to sacrifice a lot of final weight on everything?
Or, do you think being able to say it is 1/2 Wagyu, people are going to be willing to pay enough extra big bucks to offset the poor muscling? I am just lost at the concept of wanting to get into them. I must really be missing something. I'm not toooo old to learn new tricks - so please educate me.
Gosh you are so damn judgemental.

Muddy - I'm not judging. I would like to know. Seems to me, most producers already raise/sell good quality beef. I re-read this thread & CPA's last thread. He agrees that his cattle marble well & produce good meat. To me, he is down grading the quantity of his finished product. That is why I was asking what he is going to benefit from this program. I thought he had pretty nice cattle already.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1dia0zo4 said:
Muddy - I'm not judging. I would like to know. Seems to me, most producers already raise/sell good quality beef. I re-read this thread & CPA's last thread. He agrees that his cattle marble well & produce good meat. To me, he is down grading the quantity of his finished product. That is why I was asking what he is going to benefit from this program. I thought he had pretty nice cattle already.
I'm always very skeptical about niche marketing ideas. Years and years ago I remember the local extension offices and cattle association folks began to really start pushing Senepol cattle.. claimed they were the future.. big frames, LOTS of milk, calving ease.. unfortunately they were extremely hard doing cattle that wouldn't breed back without a bucket of feed strapped to their mouths. Many people got burned..
Having said that, many many of the folks in the business are now focused on carcass quality.. And like Alabama indicated: it seems wise to consider the eating experience of those consuming our product.

I'm hoping that the shortcomings of the wagyu breed will be offset by the combination of the beltie breed and heterosis. It will be an educational experience either way.

Ok here's some more info on this guy.

Birth weight - 76
Weaning weight - 412
205 day weight - 599
Yearling weight - 823
365 day weight - 839
Scrotal circumference at 555 days - 32.0

This breed is pretty close to the same size as my belties.

Latest posts