My new Wagyu bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN said:
Taking one to the stockyard,would be shooting yourself in the foot.
Agreed with ya on that. The buyers would think they're longhorn or corriente crosses

Muddy
Sorry you think I come across as so opinionated. Obviously, I have rubbed you raw somewhere along the way. Not intentional. I rarely try to shove my breed down anyone's throat, and I never think my cattle are the best. There are some tremendous cattle featured throughout these threads - much better than mine - of many different breeds - some even commercial - which I admire tremendously.
I admitted the "mush" statement was from me originally - my interpretation of what it "sounds like" to ME. I do not deny that Wagyu beef is superior in marbling. I just think it is not necessary. "WE", as producers, "produce" a superior product than most any other country. I just don't know anyone that has the money to waste on a steak that "might" be a little (or a lot) better than what we already have. It is a specialty market - not attainable in my area.
Again, I am sorry if I offended you. Not my intention. I don't apologize for having good cattle that I am proud of, but I do not think I shove it down anyone's throat.

The US cattle market has chased marbling. It is a fair enough effort for a good reason. Where that causes issues can be total fat placement. Is it merely intermuscular fat that is added, additional back fat to go with the intermuscular fat or additional seam fat to go along with both? The backfat deposition can sometimes be controlled with feed, time on feed, rate of gain and such but not always. Few animals are fed individually or with that much scrutiny. That cut out and trim is a loss for whoever owns the animal to that point. There are EPDs for selection purposes and if they are good then that helps.

The issue to me in the big picture is the excessive seam fat. I walk through the meat isle and see high end steaks with huge sections of seam fat while the lean portions are well marbled. If I wanted to buy a steak that day, I'd prefer a well marbled steak without heavy seam fat. It does add flavor in cooking but a lot of people trim it out and then have a pile of waste at the end of the meal and I think that a lot of them set there a minute digesting, thinking about the cost and seeing the waste. There are genetics other than the discussed breed (the ones I know about are in the Angus breed) which are claimed to produce "smoky marbling" without excessive seam fat.

Comparatively, other meats do not exhibit excessive seam fat. A lot of consumers can see the white and it might shift them to other choices. That is too bad for beef. Seems the Wagyu and Akaushi offer a remedy of some of the issues. The percent needed to help in a cross breeding operation is another story.

Muddy said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Agreed with ya on that. The buyers would think they're longhorn or corriente crosses

As I have said before I have a neighbor with about 150 Waygu cows. The same man has about 750 commercial cows. In those commercial cows there are a fair number of longhorn and corrientes cows. Their calves absolutely shine compared to the Wagyu.
Agri-beef is a Idaho company. They own a bunch of feedyards. They also own a kill plant in Washington State that I have been told kills 1,200 head a day. Because of their location here in the PNW they have been big in exporting to Japan. I know a trucker who hauls into their kill plant. He told me they kill nothing but Waygu on Friday. That means there are a lot of Wagyu on feed in their yards. But I have never seen them at the sale or advertised anywhere. The calves must all get sold private treaty. On the other hand looking at those Wagyu calves of the neighbor's they would have to pay a pretty big premium for it to work out. That and the neighbor's comment of, "it will work out one of these days". I also note that he doesn't turn Wagyu bulls out with the commercial cows. If there were a viable market for the crossbreds he most certainly would have the ability to make them.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Muddy, you owe Jeanne a heartfelt apology otherwise Momma Muddy needs to wash your mouth out with soap and change the WiFi password so you can you sit alone in that basement and reflect on your behavior.
She's an adult, she should be fine.

Muddy said:
ALACOWMAN said:

I've seen LH and Corriente cross cattle that are better quality than the Waygu cattle I've seen pictures of.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Muddy, you owe Jeanne a heartfelt apology otherwise Momma Muddy needs to wash your mouth out with soap and change the WiFi password so you can you sit alone in that basement and reflect on your behavior.
Muddy has proved before he has no respect for others especially ladies. I have always believed a man respects ladies. Just because you are a man doesn't make a person a man.

elkwc said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Muddy has proved before he has no respect for others especially ladies. I have always believed a man respects ladies. Just because you are a man doesn't make a person a man.
I don't have much respect for most folks on here anyways until you gets to know me much better. There's reason why few people on here are friends with me on Facebook, unlike most folks here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I just don't know anyone that has the money to waste on a steak..................
that "might" be a little (or a lot) better than what we already have.
Freudian slip? :) ... or heartfelt comment on beef?

I guess for those who believe eating Beef is a waste of money....
Eggs are only a nickel apiece making them a more economical source of protein.

(I love Eggs Benedict and Omelettes are delicious too!)
But I hear for breakfast some people are willing to pay extra for steak and eggs.
And don't get me started on Starbucks coffee.... :roll:

Son of Butch said:
I just don't know anyone that has the money to waste on a steak..................
Freudian slip? :) ... or heartfelt comment on beef?

I guess for those who believe eating Beef is a waste of money....
Eggs are only a nickel apiece making them a more economical source of protein.

(I love Eggs Benedict and Omelettes are delicious too!)
But I hear for breakfast some people are willing to pay extra for steak and eggs.
And don't get me started on Starbucks coffee.... :roll:

She's saying if you're paying up for quality food such as a steak you sure don't want to waste it on an inferior product. That's my interpretation anyway.

As for what Muddy just said, I'll leave that to others to interpret.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Son of Butch said:

She's saying if you're paying up for quality food such as a steak you sure don't want to
waste it on an inferior product. That's my interpretation anyway.

How is steak a little better than what we already have an inferior product?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'm not following you. Who has an inferior product?
TT you are the one that brought inferior product into the discussion.
So I am asking you, how do you twist Jeanne saying "(a steak) a little better than we already have"
into meaning an inferior product.

Latest posts