Making the best black baldy cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman":hop8p7z3 said:
BrannonCarroll":hop8p7z3 said:
I am interested in making Super Baldies. Financial arguments aside...what would be the best combination for someone starting fresh

Pure F1 Brangus x Registered Hereford
Pure F1 Brangus x registered black Hereford
BWF Brangus x hereford
BWF Brangus x black Hereford

F1 Hybrid Braford x Angus bull

Yes sir. That's what these are. Their mama is and F1 Braford and daddy is a Black Angus. These are some of my favorite cattle. I keep a couple like this every year. They are easy to handle, tough, raise good calves... and you can put any kind of bull across them you want.

ALACOWMAN":vbx56uxa said:
BrannonCarroll":vbx56uxa said:
Not just heterosis (and I do understand that importance) but would one produce more or less BWF "baldy" look than the other? For example, would an already BWF Brangus x black Hereford have a increase percentage of BWF?

Or would super baldy cows x super baldy bull be better?

My only concern, is not really knowing how far you have drifted from the purebred. How do you maintain the best heterosis situation while increasing your chances of getting BWF.

Thanks for any input
breeding to a Hereford bull like from " Danny Millers ""aka mrvictordomino straight bred herd..will,give you a big predictable bang... Bred to a brangus..

I'm getting a nice bang running an Angus bull over Danny's Domino cows.

WalnutCrest":3ffjpzat said:
I believe your most consistent calves will come from reasonably tightly bred mama cows bred to reasonably tightly bred bulls.

By definition, registered cattle (due to known pedigrees (which assumes everyone was honest)) will have fewer genetic surprises than commercial cattle. So, that right there indicates that mossy registered cattle are more tightly bred than commercial cattle (although there are exceptions, like a couple of closed commercial herds I know of).

To get even more tightly bred, you'd need to find a breeder who was breeding the way you wanted to breed and buy from them.

Finding cattle close to your operation who are managed consistent to how you plan on raising them should be you're first goal. IMO.

That has been my experience. A few years back I needed an older Angus bull to cover my commercial herd. I leased a close bred bull from Mike Keeney and used him on my linebred cows.....The results were amazing, not only for consistancy but performance as well.

mrvictordomino":xfmlkplv said:
WalnutCrest":xfmlkplv said:
I believe your most consistent calves will come from reasonably tightly bred mama cows bred to reasonably tightly bred bulls.

By definition, registered cattle (due to known pedigrees (which assumes everyone was honest)) will have fewer genetic surprises than commercial cattle. So, that right there indicates that mossy registered cattle are more tightly bred than commercial cattle (although there are exceptions, like a couple of closed commercial herds I know of).

To get even more tightly bred, you'd need to find a breeder who was breeding the way you wanted to breed and buy from them.

Finding cattle close to your operation who are managed consistent to how you plan on raising them should be you're first goal. IMO.

That has been my experience. A few years back I needed an older Angus bull to cover my commercial herd. I leased a close bred bull from Mike Keeney and used him on my linebred cows.....The results were amazing, not only for consistancy but performance as well.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Two separate, well bred, genetically different lines can come together and really do some awesome stuff. Your stuff and Keeney's stuff is exactly what I'm talking about.

And it's what were doing here.

BrannonCarroll":2gr766je said:
I am interested in making Super Baldies. Financial arguments aside...what would be the best combination for someone starting fresh

BWF Brangus x hereford

Keep it simple. Brangus x Hereford

BrannonCarroll":2cut9uvh said:

BWF Brangus x hereford

With these you will probably get fewer mottled faced. With that, I'd expect eye problems begin to show up eventually. No need to reinvent the wheel.... ;-)

I for one love the bickering and dont take it all that personally. I like charolais angus cross cattle and often put my 2cents worth in and then stand back watching silver calves get docked at the salebarn being posted. Each for there own. And remember at the end of the day i am right

I have a bunch of black baldy Cattle and I love them. My all come from purebred hereford and Angus genetics. Used purebred angus cows and bred them to Hereford bulls. The baldy cattle have a much better docility than the angus and also bred back quicker and easier. They are great mamas and have zero feet issues. I've been using AI on my cows for the last 5 years to breed up Cattle with strong maternal straights. I weaned (16) baldy heifers this fall which I will AI to a good calving ease angus bull. Part of these heifers are star fives (purebred hereford x purebred gert). I feel like having mostly baldy cows crossed with a good angus bulls is the best cross for market steers in my area (middle Tennessee). If I was going to start fresh I would buy the most uniform set of replacement heifers I could find either angus, brangus, or hereford. Then cross breed them via AI to the best bull I could find to get baldy Calves. Keep all the heifers that grew out good even if they came red. I'm getting my herd closer and closer to all baldys but it's been 5 years and still has a way to go because I started with such a mixed up herd. With the herd you have now I would AI all the cows to some top Hereford genetics. I like 789t for heifers and 1098y for cows. You'll take a hit on the red Calves but will get some great baldys. Save the best heifers and then AI them to angus bull of choice (the options are endless). Just my two cents.

tnwalkingred":1i1cdtl6 said:
Here are some of the baldy heifers we've decided to keep this year.

You have some nice baldies. Easy to tell what crosses you used to create them.