Long range/Elk hunting rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
I sold my last 30-06 and looking to get another toy. Looking for a rifle to go Elk Hunting and do some long range shooting without breaking the back. I had a 300 weatherby mag that I liked, but sold due to recoil on my bad shoulder. Said shoulder is fixed, so what options are out there? The 375 H&H looks fun

Not real common but I have a Winchester Coyote lite in 325 WSM that is real good. They are light but do not have the kick of some of the large calibers.

The 375 is fun but not really what I would call long range, over 300 yards and it lacks flatness of trajectory. Still hard to beat the old 7 Rem Mag or even the Win 264 Mag

If I were hunting those I would use my .270 or unfortunately my 7mm and if I missed with my 7mm there would be no follow up shots fired my shoulder cant take that abuse.

skyhightree1":jp7oxagc said:
If I were hunting those I would use my .270 or unfortunately my 7mm and if I missed with my 7mm there would be no follow up shots fired my shoulder cant take that abuse.
One of the old Savage 110s is the softest shooting 7 Mag I ever shot, way less then even a 308

My savage .270 is the 110 wood stock great gun hardly any recoil .. that blasted rem 700 with synthetic stock will ring your bell good.. I like the 110 models and savage rifles in general.

Maybe a 300wm or a 338? Ive got a 375ruger on the way witch matches or exceeds h&h performance in a shorter action. I suppose either one with a 24in plus tube and some 225gr bullets at near 3000fps would be a pretty flat shooting gun. I guess the big if is seeing if you can get accuracy with such a light bullet in a big gun.

I have a 300 Win mag that I use for elk. Shooting 200 grain Swift A frame bullets doing about 2,900 fps at the barrel I have shot clean through a elk standing broadside at 375 yards. I shoots pretty flat and packs a punch. To me a 7 mag is a lot more recoil for not much more performance than my '06. I once owned a 375 H&H. It would clap your shoulder blades together. I was extremely happy that when I was leaving bear country up in Alaska there was someone who really wanted that rifle. I was more than happy to sell.

A 30-06 with 165gr. Partition type bullets will get the job done. Nothing fancy and easy to find ammo for. I would stay away from all the new short mags, ultra mags unless you reload your self.

Dave":1oxie3bs said:
I have a 300 Win mag that I use for elk. Shooting 200 grain Swift A frame bullets doing about 2,900 fps at the barrel I have shot clean through a elk standing broadside at 375 yards. I shoots pretty flat and packs a punch. To me a 7 mag is a lot more recoil for not much more performance than my '06. I once owned a 375 H&H. It would clap your shoulder blades together. I was extremely happy that when I was leaving bear country up in Alaska there was someone who really wanted that rifle. I was more than happy to sell.

I don't agree with using a .375 H&H for elk. I have shot several head of african game including elephant and cape buffalo with the .375 H&H using handloaded 300 grain speer african grand slam tungsten carbide core bullets but as dun said, it is in a mid range rifle. Your subject line says long range. I agree with Dave. I have shot elk with 270 Win, 7 mm Rem Mag and 300 win mag. My preference is the 300 Win Mag. I loaded 180 grain Nosler Partition Flat Point in front of RL 22 powder. For liability reasons, I will not provide the grains of powder used.

BTW, my .375 H&H kicks less than my .300 Win Mag not on a foot pound basis but on perceived basis. I have a liquid lead silver filled recoil reducer slid in the butt stock. It is just a nice solid push.
If you ever want to try a .375 H&H in africa, PM me.
2i89pj7.jpg

inyati13":78hrzus6 said:
Dave":78hrzus6 said:

I don't agree with using a .375 H&H for elk. I have shot several head of african game including elephant and cape buffalo with the .375 H&H using handloaded 300 grain speer african grand slam tungsten carbide core bullets but as dun said, it is in a mid range rifle. Your subject line says long range. I agree with Dave. I have shot elk with 270 Win, 7 mm Rem Mag and 300 win mag. My preference is the 300 Win Mag. I loaded 180 grain Nosler Partition Flat Point in front of RL 22 powder. For liability reasons, I will not provide the grains of powder used.

BTW, my .375 H&H kicks less than my .300 Win Mag not on a foot pound basis but on perceived basis. I have a liquid lead silver filled recoil reducer slid in the butt stock. It is just a nice solid push.
If you ever want to try a .375 H&H in africa, PM me.

My 375 H&H was a Sako carbine that didn't weigh anything which made it nice to pack. I wasn't hunting with it. I packed it for bear insurance while working on the next island north of Kodiak. There were lots of big bears. Some of which got too close for comfort. The stopping power of a 375 in my hands made it a little more comfortable. But I would never consider a 375 H&H a long range caliber.
I have shot a lot of elk with an '06 shooting 180 grain Nosler partitions going out the barrel at 2,700 fps. I went to the 300 Win because it gives me a little extra range and hits harder at the normal range. The reality is that most people shouldn't be shooting at ranges longer than a '06 is adequate for. Where I hunt elk there are maybe 20 guys who I have gotten to know . These are serious hunters who regularly shot elk. Some of it is hunting in the timber with close shots and a lot of big clear cuts where shots can be out to 400 yards. And you can spot elk across the canyons where people who know the limitations of guns and themselves don't shoot. The 30-06 and 300 Win Mag are by far the most popular calibers.
2i89pj7.jpg

I have used my 7mm Mag on elk and moose. It worked perfectly. The recoil is not an issue in my synthetic stocked Rem 700. I have found the 7mag to be very accurate. Mine is a sub-moa rifle. I really like the 160 Noslers in mine.

My 375 H&H was a ruger Number 1 Tropical, wasn;t bad at all unless you went through a whole box of ammo at one sitting.

hard to beat a 7 mm Mag , for all round , it is a flat shooting machine , hands down flatter shooting than .270 or 30-06. ammo is pretty cheap compared to exotic rounds and can be found at most stores that sell standard ammo. I shoot a savage wood stock with a Simmons A-tec scope, pretty easy on the shoulder , but a synthetic stock will give you "The Magnum Jitters "

Polledbull, how much flatter does a 7mag. shoot compared to a 30-06?? Both of them shooting a 150 or 165gr. bullet. Your idea of hands down and mine are way different.

30-06, 300 WSM or a 300 Win Mag. They are all good Elk medicine. I have killed Elk with all three. But then again I have killed Elk with a 6mm AI and it worked just fine.

If I had to pick one it would be a Savage in a 300WSM with a detachable magazine using 165gr Accubond bullets. 4.5 to 14 Burris scope and a good set of shooting sticks.
The 300 Winmag is a close second.

Also FWIW I will NEVER load another rifle shell with Reloader 22. It is the most temperature sensitive powder I have ever used and I have used a lot.

I do use a lot of Reloader 17 though and really like it.

There were a lot of nice used .375s in the For Sale rack right after the short mags came out, but that boat has sailed.
There are a lot of good things about the 7 mm but that is not the total solution.
You need to buy a scope with graduated cross hairs and work on you Civilian Marksmanship, and then reconsider a 30.06.
I learned to deer hunt with a hard ass WWII vet. He said his Springfield 30.06 was good to 1,000 yards. :nod:
I have shot a .50 bolt action but I don't think that is a hunting rifle.

Stocker Steve":1d0uz2we said:
There were a lot of nice used .375s in the For Sale rack right after the short mags came out, but that boat has sailed.
There are a lot of good things about the 7 mm but that is not the total solution.
You need to buy a scope with graduated cross hairs and work on you Civilian Marksmanship, and then reconsider a 30.06.
I learned to deer hunt with a hard ass WWII vet. He said his Springfield 30.06 was good to 1,000 yards. :nod:
I have shot a .50 bolt action but I don't think that is a hunting rifle.

Had a marine uncle that was a WWII sniper he was plum scary with a 06.
His job on Okinawa was to take out the Jap snipers.
I have seen him hit things with open sights I wouldn't have shot at with a scope.

You need to define "long range". I have used both the 270 and the 300 win mag on elk. Both worked great. There is a whole website devoted to long range hunting at ranges that will scare you.

400 yards is on the outer edge of what I'm comfrtable with right now not having hunted in a few years.

Some consider 700 yards to be medium range. You're looking at lots of money and something like a 338 rum or edge.

Good luck.

Latest posts