Elk

Help Support CattleToday:

Can you get permits to hunt them? Like our deer here in Va, they upped the number we could get in our county... maybe the whole state??? ... but we got damage permits this summer because of there being soo many of them..... I have heard elk are good eating... and while they may be graceful... I cannot imagine the damage they can do...
If that was a small number I would hate to see a big number...
We counted over 50 miserable destructive white tails in the field across from my house last winter.... they demolished the wheat my son planted as a cover crop 2 years ago.... they got 10 this summer with the damage permits and between the several that hunted this fall I know of 12 they got...

Can you get permits to hunt them? Like our deer here in Va, they upped the number we could get in our county... maybe the whole state??? ... but we got damage permits this summer because of there being soo many of them..... I have heard elk are good eating... and while they may be graceful... I cannot imagine the damage they can do...
If that was a small number I would hate to see a big number...
We counted over 50 miserable destructive white tails in the field across from my house last winter.... they demolished the wheat my son planted as a cover crop 2 years ago.... they got 10 this summer with the damage permits and between the several that hunted this fall I know of 12 they got...
We can only get a single tag for the genera open season, and can also apply for a Limited Entry Hunt (LEH) tag. Apparently the odds of being successful in this draw are very good, although I have not been drawn yet. There are no "nuisance tags" or anything helpful like that. Crop insurance covers elk damage, but it's a complete joke. There is no compensation for destroyed fences, and there is no shortage of that.
Elk is very good eating. It is the closest thing to beef you can get, IMO. If they've spent the summer in a pea or oat crop they are top shelf for sure.

We can get mitigation permits for roos to take out quite a few, usually in droughts where they make a big impact on what grasses we have left. Other times they seem to disperse in the scrub and are not a problem. An alternative is to get in professional roo shooters who have their own tags and take them to a chiller box for processing.

Ken

We can get mitigation permits for roos to take out quite a few, usually in droughts where they make a big impact on what grasses we have left. Other times they seem to disperse in the scrub and are not a problem. An alternative is to get in professional roo shooters who have their own tags and take them to a chiller box for processing.

Ken
You eat Roos?

Dang things seem are everywhere these days. I filmed this little group this morning a few hundred yards from the house.

That is the same way wildlife, like elk feel about humans!

You eat Roos?
I don't eat it a lot but yes it is very edible, very lean so you have to go easy on the cooking. I like doing the tail in the slow cooker.

Ken
Well, they are an animal. I just never thought about Roos has a meat animal. They can be really MUSCLED! How about the tail? Is it too tough?
In the slow cooker it just falls apart.

Ken

Latest posts