Cow elk

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is one less elk to raid B's stack yard tonight. Actually two less but I had nothing to do with the other one. 150 elk can consume a lot of hay in a night. There is another laying around in the stack yard for a couple days. The elk under mined the stack and it caved in killing one of the elk. 3x4x8 bales stacked 6 high makes for a lot of weight falling on top of the elk.

Worst thing about elk is how much hay they destroy /damage. For every mouthful they eat their is at least 10-20 times that that they tromp on and đź’©all over.

They ate a lot of lower level hay to get the stack to collapse!
Good for you. Do you have it all processed and in the freezer?
I don't have room in the freezer for an elk. So a friend from church who is my mechanic took the whole thing home. I told him I would like a package of back strap and a couple of roasts.
Worst thing about elk is how much hay they destroy /damage. For every mouthful they eat their is at least 10-20 times that that they tromp on and đź’©all over.

Hard for them to tromp on hay that is straight up 18 feet to the top of the stack. But 150 elk sure do eat a lot. A lot of alfalfa bales got surrounded with corn stalk bales. The elk don't touch the corn stalks.

I don't have room in the freezer for an elk. So a friend from church who is my mechanic took the whole thing home. I told him I would like a package of back strap and a couple of roasts.

Hard for them to tromp on hay that is straight up 18 feet to the top of the stack. But 150 elk sure do eat a lot. A lot of alfalfa bales got surrounded with corn stalk bales. The elk don't touch the corn stalks.
Are the elk not fenced out of the stack yards down there?

There is another laying around in the stack yard for a couple days. The elk under mined the stack and it caved in killing one of the elk. 3x4x8 bales stacked 6 high makes for a lot of weight falling on top of the elk.
Hay won't stay stacked with elk around. How much hay was tromped or damaged by the stack falling over?

The last 10-20 years around here elk have been moving into areas that they haven't been in traditionally. That and a lot of turn over of non local people buy up ranches .
Only takes one winter of elk in the stack yard and most figure it out

Yes and no. They seem to break down the same spot in the fence. It gets fixed and they tear it down in a day or two. Also B has more hay than will fit into the stack yard. That is why he stacked the corn stalk bales around the alfalfa.

Hay won't stay stacked with elk around. How much hay was tromped or damaged by the stack falling over?
Probably next to no loss from the cave in. Last I knew he was feeding 23 big squares a day. Those bales don't bust. I am sure he just loaded them up and fed them that day. The lose is from how much that many elk eat. He is hoping that herd moves back to the area they normally winter at. I know of more people with tags but the season just goes for another 4 days.

Probably next to no loss from the cave in. Last I knew he was feeding 23 big squares a day. Those bales don't bust. I am sure he just loaded them up and fed them that day. The lose is from how much that many elk eat. He is hoping that herd moves back to the area they normally winter at. I know of more people with tags but the season just goes for another 4 days.
Must be different from any other elk I have ever been around.
Must be pretty smart elk to eat enough hay to cause the stack to collapse, but eat every last flake of the bale they start before moving on.
Must be pretty different bales as well . I would be interested in knowing more about them . Don't know of too many bales that can suspend themselves in mid air until every last drop of the bale below them is eaten before they move. Must have self tightening twine on the bales, and must have the bales above them suspended by sky hooks. But what do I know lots of different ways of doing things ,and I am just a dumb keyboard cowboy,
That doesn't know nuthin about nuthin .

I think the biggest problem here is that you misunderstood what Dave wrote.
So then splain it to me den.
Either the bales where broken and damaged when elk removed enough hay to cause the stack to collapse or it bales had automatic self tightening twine? Which one was it.
If no hay was wasted when elk undermined the stack the upper bales either were held into place with a sky hook or a form of self levitation that defied the laws of gravity. Or the undermined bales were broken and damaged.
Can't have it both ways are you telling me basic laws of science aren't accurate. Which one is it?

Must be different from any other elk I have ever been around.
Must be pretty smart elk to eat enough hay to cause the stack to collapse, but eat every last flake of the bale they start before moving on.
Must be pretty different bales as well . I would be interested in knowing more about them . Don't know of too many bales that can suspend themselves in mid air until every last drop of the bale below them is eaten before they move. Must have self tightening twine on the bales, and must have the bales above them suspended by sky hooks. But what do I know lots of different ways of doing things ,and I am just a dumb keyboard cowboy,
That doesn't know nuthin about nuthin .
Well, uh, given that the hay in question ultimately fell and killed an elk that tunneled in it, I would say that the suspension theory is probably out.

@Dave Any chance on getting other people to come out even with how short of a time is left? I should think sitting on a hay bale and shooting an elk would be an attractive invitation. Can y'all get ag damage tags for them? I don't know about for elk, but there's people who "work" as professional deer and varmint shooters down south here (a job like that just about can't even be called work, but ya have to tell the wife something I guess).

So then splain it to me den.
Either the bales where broken and damaged when elk removed enough hay to cause the stack to collapse or it bales had automatic self tightening twine? Which one was it.
If no hay was wasted when elk undermined the stack the upper bales either were held into place with a sky hook or a form of self levitation that defied the laws of gravity. Or the undermined bales were broken and damaged.
Can't have it both ways are you telling me basic laws of science aren't accurate. Which one is it?
I suggest you read it again. Perhaps more slowly this time.

@Dave Any chance on getting other people to come out even with how short of a time is left? I should think sitting on a hay bale and shooting an elk would be an attractive invitation. Can y'all get ag damage tags for them? I don't know about for elk, but there's people who "work" as professional deer and varmint shooters down south here (a job like that just about can't even be called work, but ya have to tell the wife something I guess).
No damage tags. I know some people get them but it is a process which B has not gone through. And he based that on experience others have had dealing with the game dept. You don't get to just sit on the hay and shoot an elk. They come in the middle of the night and they leave at the crack of dawn. There are legal shooting hours. Half and hour before sun rise until sunset. It is maybe 200 yards from the stack to the road. Once they cross the road they are out of the legal area. So you fly down that road at the crack of dawn. Get between the elk and safety. Slam on the brakes. Jump out of the vehicle. Get across the ditch to the fence (not legal to shoot from the road). Pick out an elk (no bulls and you don't want to shoot an old tough cow) and shoot it. Of course 75% of the time the herd will bolt and run. They tend to bunch up when they run making it tough to pick out a single elk. Flock shooting is not a good idea.

Probably next to no loss from the cave in.

Those bales don't bust.

The lose is from how much that many elk eat.
Hard for them to tromp on hay that is straight up 18 feet to the top of the stack.
I dun red it agin and I still only see one way of what he says

Elk don't tromp hay cus it's 18 foot in the air(skyhook maybe?)
Bales dont break , no hay loose from tromping even in the bales the elk eat out of.(so must be self tightening strings , and no wasted hay even from the bales they eat at , no wasted hay even from the bales the eat out of and the failure of sky hook causes those bales above to fall)

Bales dont break , no hay loose from tromping even in the bales the elk eat out of.(so must be self tightening strings , and no wasted hay even from the bales they eat at , no wasted hay even from the bales the eat out of and the failure of sky hook causes those bales above to fall)
Wow, now you are just embarrassing yourself lol

Did you ride a small bus?
3'x4'x8' bales have 5 or so "ropes" not pizzy strings, I "unloaded" a semi up the road that had rolled over, not a bales was busted. 1260lbs +/- each.

Did you ride a small bus?
3'x4'x8' bales have 5 or so "ropes" not pizzy strings, I "unloaded" a semi up the road that had rolled over, not a bales was busted. 1260lbs +/- each.
Wow, now you are just embarrassing yourself lol
So where the bales after the semi rolled over the same height off the ground as they were before the semi rolled as Dave is claiming in his post. Says elk can't tromp it because it is 18 feet in the air. After he says stack fell over because elk tunneled into it.
So the broken bales the elk ate from and the stack that fell can't be tromped on because it is 18 feet in the air?
So do they have self tightening strings.
If so who is the manufacturer?
Have yet to see any bale anywhere in the world that can have enough hay removed from them to cause the stack to fall over while remaining intact and having no loss of hay or hay tromped and wasted as Dave claims in his posts.
If you all can't tell that I am humorously calling Dave out on his ridiculous claims in this thread maybe you all ought to take a look in the mirror and see who it is that actually rides on the "short bus"

Last edited:
So do they have self tightening strings.
If so who is the manufacturer?
Have yet to see any bale anywhere in the world that can have enough hay removed from them to cause the stack to fall over while remaining intact and having no loss of hay or hay tromped and wasted as Dave claims in his posts.
If you all can't tell that I am humorously calling Dave out on his ridiculous claims in this thread maybe you all ought to take a look in the mirror and see who it is that actually rides on the "short bus"
You have had every chance to go back, re-read, comprehend what was written in Dave's post and come back and admit your comprehension failure. You have failed and I'm not going to help you.

Latest posts