Elk

Help Support CattleToday:

So that is where my elk went? I hear that wolves really took care of the elk herd on Lolo in Idaho. Maybe you would like some of those too. Me and my neighbors would be willing to send you a couple dozen.

So that is where my elk went? I hear that wolves really took care of the elk herd on Lolo in Idaho. Maybe you would like some of those too. Me and my neighbors would be willing to send you a couple dozen.
No we don't need wolves here any more than y'all do there. I hope they don't have any plans to bring any of them in.
We have black bears that have repopulated and spread across a large part of the state already.
I've heard that some people that live in areas where the elk are don't like them very much.
The state parks in that area have guided elk tours.
There is also a drawing for elk hunting.
So I reckon the state is trying to make money out of the elk venture.

They have had limited drawings for quite a long time. It makes the chance to harvest an elk much more affordable for hunters east of the Mississippi river.

I remember back in about 1998 when they first started releasing them. Although we in the southern Bluegrass are about a three or four hour drive from the elk range, one lone cow showed up on Sugar Creek standing alongside the state highway and was seen often over about a week stretch.
She disappeared and I never have seen another.
We do not need wolves, coyotes are bad enough. They have been howling all morning across the creek.

I have always wanted to hunt elk with my bow.
Maybe closer soon. Need them in Land Between the Lakes.

They have had limited drawings for quite a long time. It makes the chance to harvest an elk much more affordable for hunters east of the Mississippi river.
Its a lottery drawing. Lots of money for the state. Then if you draw a tag you still dont have anywhere to hunt.
Lots of elk died in the past 3 or 4 years. They kept it real quiet though. I have seen several videos of them walking in a circle and finally falling down. At one time it was pretty easy to see them. Vety rare now.

Elk only have 1-2 calves, hogs have 12….
Well, I've never experienced hogs. Hope I don't. But I can say with authority that elk are a curse. They might only have one or 2 calves a year but they will overrun you and you can't legally do a thing about it. The expenses incurred by them can't be less than hogs.

We don't have pigs here, but we are overrun with deer... and I will take them ANY DAY over wild hogs...
@kenny thomas .... meningeal worm, or Listeriosis , or CWD ?????
The game comission would never admit anything was wrong. Even after the had to come into a small city park and destroy 4 animals that were sick. Of course they took them with them.
Jan, you see the damage a 100 lb deer does, imagine what a 800 lb elk would do.
Its all about money for the state.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife has just reported the first case of CWD in the state, a deer in far western Ballard county. They appear to be on top of this, but who knows.
Back in the 1960s when rabbits were so plentiful, tularemia was a big concern.
Whenever a species of wildlife becomes too abundant and lacks natural controls, disease seems to step in and lower the numbers.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife has just reported the first case of CWD in the state, a deer in far western Ballard county. They appear to be on top of this, but who knows.
Back in the 1960s when rabbits were so plentiful, tularemia was a big concern.
Whenever a species of wildlife becomes too abundant and lacks natural controls, disease seems to step in and lower the numbers.
If they found 1 there are probably lots more already there.

KYDFW are as incompetent as the rest of Frankfort. Deer are nothing but problems and definitely don't want any elk.