Elk

Help Support CattleToday:

So that is where my elk went? I hear that wolves really took care of the elk herd on Lolo in Idaho. Maybe you would like some of those too. Me and my neighbors would be willing to send you a couple dozen.
The wolves always get the blame, but Idaho's excessive use of the three top teratogenic pesticides is that cause birth defects and mortality in vertebrates according to studies, is more to blame than the wolves. If the elk don't produce viable young, the population goes down.

The wolves always get the blame, but Idaho's excessive use of the three top teratogenic pesticides is that cause birth defects and mortality in vertebrates according to studies, is more to blame than the wolves. If the elk don't produce viable young, the population goes down.
Viable young and non viable young alike get devoured wholesale by predators. More predators make for smaller calf crops.

you must not have too many of those
Ya, in fact I said this in this thread:
Well, I've never experienced hogs. Hope I don't.
But if you've ever had 300 elk eating all your pasture and hay, smashing fences and destroying feed piles you might wonder which was the greater curse too.

But if you've ever had 300 elk eating all your pasture and hay, smashing fences and destroying feed piles you might wonder which was the greater curse too.
That sounds horrible, hogs basically just ruin a good meadow/hayfield

Our elk are in an old coal mine area that was reclaimed. Thousands of acres. A friend had lots of it leased and rarely fed unless the snow got deep. A couple years ago he was going to turn the cows into a stockpiled fescue area and when he got there all he found was 40 elk and no stockpile. They had eaten everything. He sold the cows because he had nothing to feed them. Mention an Elk around him and get a cussing.

@Ebenezer that was my first thought.... BUT........ CWD ... has become a problem in parts of Va, and these are introduced elk.... and maybe a generation or 2.... don't know when they were introduced... just would be nice to know what it was... since all 3 cause similar symptoms... Oh well, we are just stupid amateurs what do we know????

@Ebenezer that was my first thought.... BUT........ CWD ... has become a problem in parts of Va, and these are introduced elk.... and maybe a generation or 2.... don't know when they were introduced... just would be nice to know what it was... since all 3 cause similar symptoms... Oh well, we are just stupid amateurs what do we know????
I found out from a career Wisconsin DNR deer biologist that a herd of Fort Collins captive deer in 1967 was the original vector for CWD. No one knew about prions then. It was thought by researchers that captivity itself was the cause for the wasting phenomenon. Sheep all have a prion called scrapie. Could have been a mutation. By 1994 we had the term CWD.

The people in charge released the deer into the wild as the best solution they could think of.

You or someone said walking in circles. That was my clue. But I don't know.

Around 20 years ago I had sheep. At that time they were breeding for sheep that were genetically resistant to scrapie. I don't understand or remember it well enough to hardly describe, but there was a gene that determines susceptibility to scrapie if the sheep is QQ then it's susceptible. QR would be resistant but could pass on the susceptible gene. The desired gene was RR which I reckon would be homozygous and I bought RR rams.
Also if I remember right some breeds were more prone to scrapie than others but I don't know which ones.
My Suffolks never came back as QQ but just a small sampling.

Latest posts