Elk

Help Support CattleToday:

I read an article once that stated non-toxic levels of teratogenic pesticides can alter the sexual preference in male rats.
Is it possible that these same teratogenic pesticides could have a similar affect on Bull Elk, and that could lead to a decline
in the number of elk calves ?
Perhaps it is having a similar effect on the homo sapiens. :unsure:
You are correct and brilliant - not puzzled at all!
A long winded post that said nothing about areas receiving lethal doses to wildlife. If your theory was correct, all the humans eating crops that had these chemicals applied on them would be dead.
All of North America is receiving high levels. Some individuals are less sensitive than others. While glyphosate was found in 93% of the 131 human urine samples tested at an average level of 3.096 parts per billion (PPB) that is not enough to kill everyone immediately. Also, glyphosate causes several diseases, including cancer, but usually does not cause immediate death in humans. Cancer, for example takes a while and sometimes can be treated.

This is what was said in an article about the study of glyphosate levels.

"Here are the two primary reasons why we should be very, very alarmed about these tests.

1) For those who are unaware, glyphosate is a super-toxic chemical and is the primary ingredient in Monsanto's weed killer RoundUp.

Most importantly, it was classified by the World Health Organization as a "probable human carcinogen". This means that it probably causes cancer.

How widespread is glyphosate? 250 million pounds are sprayed on our crops, lawns, and parks each year in the U.S., with 1.65 billion pounds used each year around the world. This stuff is everywhere! (Me - this is important because a high prevalence of tests of rain tested positive.)

2) The levels that were found in the urine are a real cause for alarm.

As mentioned, glyphosate was found in 93% of the 131 urine samples tested at an average level of 3.096 parts per billion (PPB).

Children had the highest levels with an average of 3.586 PPB, and the regions with the highest levels were the West and the Midwest with an average of 3.053 PPB and 3.050 PPB respectively. By comparison, the average level in Europe was around 1 PPB.

However, glyphosate has never been studied by regulators or the chemical industry at levels that the human population in the U.S. is being exposed to (under 3 mg/kg body weight/day).

This is a huge hole in the risk assessment process for glyphosate, as evidence suggests that low levels of the chemical may hack hormones even more than high levels – a higher dose does not necessarily mean a more toxic, hormone disruptive effect."

In other words, a low dose of a hormone disrupting toxin can have greater detrimental effects than higher doses.

J Hoy is bored, no longer in the field and is trying to convince US "to change our ways".
She has nothing new to say so she is bringing up a problem back in 1994.
That is because it is still a problem now. White-tailed deer examined by researchers who were picking up carcasses to put in front of cameras to photograph eagles and other animals eating the dead deer found a 35% prevalence of ectopic testicles in 2019. When the testicles are between the skin and the body wall it causes sperm to be killed so the bucks can't breed does. Unfortunately, I do not have time to be bored.

I read an article once that stated non-toxic levels of teratogenic pesticides can alter the sexual preference in male rats.
Is it possible that these same teratogenic pesticides could have a similar affect on Bull Elk, and that could lead to a decline
in the number of elk calves ?
Perhaps it is having a similar effect on the homo sapiens. :unsure:
Very low levels of hormone disrupting pesticides can effect the progesterone level in the female grazing animals, resulting in them not becoming pregnant, even if they are bred by viable males. So hormone disrupting pesticides can seriously affect both males and females.

If toxins were a bigger problem than wolves we would hear about it.
Scientists say that toxins are the cause of Weak Calf Syndrome. All of the calves that had been diagnosed with Weak Calf Syndrome that I helped my neighbor with, had an underbite. That was one of the birth defects that researchers found on fawn deer when their mothers were deliberately exposed to the teratogenic insecticide imidacloprid. If you want to know how many calves die of Weak Calf Syndrome in Montana or in any other state, you can look it up on the internet, like I did. I guess someone heard about it, since it was easy to find. It also says that three out of every 100 calves born in Montana die of Weak Calf Syndrome. In 2021, there were 1,310,000 calves born in Montana, so around 39,000 calves died of toxins resulting in them having Weak Calf Syndrome. In Montana in 2021, between 200 and 300 cattle of all ages were killed by wolves and that is counting the questionable ones. So 39,000 is a bit more than the maximum 300 that might be killed by wolves in Montana. The people responsible for all those calves killed by man made toxins never get punished at all, let alone murdered in the most inhumane, unethical methods possible to think up like the wolves here in Montana are. And now you have heard about it!

And hopefully, you will all do something about it. Imidacloprid was found to go across the placenta in pregnant HUMANS and directly into the fetus. I hope that you will at least care about your future children, grandchildren or great grandchildren.

Let's back up. Weak Calf Syndrome is caused by MANY different reasons. If you are going to quote numbers to try to scare us into jumping on your bandwagon...the sky is falling...you will have to do better. Low Selenium levels, old cows, thin cows, lack of proper balanced mineral, herd nutrition, weather, etc. cause WCS.
Good try. Try again.
You are INSULTING to cattle producers. Do you think we nilly willy spray chemicals exposing our cattle? Get off your band wagon. If you have to spout your info, go on a CITY board and try to influence them. They are quick to jump on mis-information.

Let's back up. Weak Calf Syndrome is caused by MANY different reasons. If you are going to quote numbers to try to scare us into jumping on your bandwagon...the sky is falling...you will have to do better. Low Selenium levels, old cows, thin cows, lack of proper balanced mineral, herd nutrition, weather, etc. cause WCS.
Good try. Try again.
You are INSULTING to cattle producers. Do you think we nilly willy spray chemicals exposing our cattle? Get off your band wagon. If you have to spout your info, go on a CITY board and try to influence them. They are quick to jump on mis-information.
Only one reason for Weak Calf Syndrome has ever caused an underdeveloped premaxillary bone - that is exposure to imidacloprid. There were likely no calves with underbite even being born prior to 1995. I was a 4-H cattle judge and we checked the bite on all animals as well as hooves, etc. back in the old days. All of those reasons you listed were in cattle herds where I lived then and there were no calves with Weak Calf Syndrome or underbite, overbite, contracted tendons or any of the other defects that began in 1995, the year after imidacloprid began being used. I now live in the same county where Weak Calf Syndrome was first described and the veterinarian who first found and described it in 1964 was a friend. We discussed Weak Calf Syndrome and he said it was caused by the cow ingesting toxic plants or being exposed to other toxins. But what would he know - right? I did not say the cattle are being exposed by the ranchers. I said that most rain water that was tested, tested positive for both imidacloprid and glyphosate in concerning amounts as well as many other pesticides. When the pesticide containing rain or snow falls on the foliage eaten by the cattle, they are exposed whether the owner uses pesticides or not. For some hormone disrupting toxins, very small amounts are far more damaging than high levels. Also, researchers tested pregnant humans and found that the imidacloprid went directly across the placenta and into the fetus. If imidacloprid does that on human mothers to be, it very likely does the same on all other mammals, including cattle. I am trying to save the cattle and save ranchers money. Telling livestock owners what might be adversely affecting their livestock is not insulting anyone. I have noticed that some people manage to insult themselves.

You are all about ''detected levels'' which means absolutely nothing concerning cause. Will any of your many experts put a guarantee that there is a direct relation between detection and occurrence?

How many variables are they testing for? If you look for a specific item it is usually the majority of what you find.

So all this discussion over and over. I have not read it all, but what is your solution? A total ban on herbicides and pesticides? Would the world be better off or worse off if there were no herbicides and pesticides? Considering everything overall. All the consequences.

Seems to me that we would need to go back to farming methods of about 100 years ago. With current population, that would be a disaster on the environment and starving people. Better solution might be to reduce the world population by about 80%.

I am probably going to regret asking that.

I don't think it's the smaller producers that add much to the issue. Think of all the land that is NOT being farmed for one reason or another. We as a country went from millions of family producers to a couple thousand producers in 100 years. Little as 50 years ago people expected to work and receive compensation. Never mattered if you picked grasshoppers from crops or worked at the gas station or the cafe. Honest job was honest money! Now, people want to be compensated for being lazy or having more kids or just plain giving up. Like its mandatory to serve the useless what other people worked for. We as a nation had drive in the past. We always wanted better, now we want more, faster etc.
Less workers = more chemical.

I don't think it's the smaller producers that add much to the issue. Think of all the land that is NOT being farmed for one reason or another. We as a country went from millions of family producers to a couple thousand producers in 100 years. Little as 50 years ago people expected to work and receive compensation. Never mattered if you picked grasshoppers from crops or worked at the gas station or the cafe. Honest job was honest money! Now, people want to be compensated for being lazy or having more kids or just plain giving up. Like its mandatory to serve the useless what other people worked for. We as a nation had drive in the past. We always wanted better, now we want more, faster etc.
Less workers = more chemical.

A couple of thousand producers? Do you exaggerate much?

What do you consider small? Google says $350k or less.
Ok you got me, 2 million registered small farms.
Did you register? I'm not large enough.
That's lottery money in my eyes.

Due to the cost of equipment and maintenance alone, I see people cut their fields or let them get overgrown. Not many produce for local consumption. Where does your product go? I see big soy bean or corn crops but what about the rest? Not grown here. How about around you? Lots of local farms that produce the food for your market in town? We have 2 we know of and animals are around, but the little guy is almost obsolete.

I have only been raising cattle and been involved in many aspects of the beef industry. I have never had or known anyone that had a calf with an underbite....before or after 1995.
Like I said, go to a city forum and they will gobble up all your fantastic information.
Have you found anyone on this forum that appreciates what you are spouting?
Oh crap. Now I will probably regret asking any question.

You are indicating a ''couple of thousand'' producers are all that is left. This is what I am calling BS on. Look at the average size of the cow calf producer.

I truly wish people would use the reply feature built into this forum.

It would be so much easier to follow everyone's conversations and to figure out what the **ll they are talking about.

You are all about ''detected levels'' which means absolutely nothing concerning cause. Will any of your many experts put a guarantee that there is a direct relation between detection and occurrence?

How many variables are they testing for? If you look for a specific item it is usually the majority of what you find.
The study done at the South Dakota State University that put imidacloprid in the drinking water of pregnant white-tailed deer found the fawns that had birth defects or that died had the highest levels of imidacloprid in their spleens. They weren't looking for any specific item. They wanted to know if imidacloprid exposure caused any adverse health effects. They knew the detected levels of imidacloprid. They knew what caused the birth defects. I am not certain what you mean?

I have only been raising cattle and been involved in many aspects of the beef industry. I have never had or known anyone that had a calf with an underbite....before or after 1995.
Like I said, go to a city forum and they will gobble up all your fantastic information.
Have you found anyone on this forum that appreciates what you are spouting?
Oh crap. Now I will probably regret asking any question.
I admire your knowledge concerning prescription drugs and how to use them to help cattle and also how you share your knowledge with others. Most of the prescription drugs you talk about were not being produced when I had livestock.
Likely you nor the people you know have ever looked at the bite on your calves. If you Google (domestic calves underbite images), lots of photos of calves with underbite posted by their owners will come up. I looked up a discussion about underbite that was on CattleToday about 4 years ago. A rancher said that some of his calves were born with an underbite and he successfully treated them with a special mineral mixture to make the underdeveloped facial bones grow to normal. No one called him names or said he didn't know what he was talking about or said anything derogatory at all. I don't know what a city forum is and I have never lived in a city, so know little about cities. I don't even like going to cities. Yes, some livestock owners do appreciate knowing about the dangers to their livestock and children from teratogenic pesticides. It is surprising that anyone wouldn't.