Thanksgiving hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Years ago, back in the 80's. I was running a trap line the day after Thanksgiving. Way up in the hills I came around a corner and there was two young men dressed in orange armed with Marlin rifles and they had a dead doe on the ground by their pickup. I stopped. I see you shot a doe. With very southern accent they told me they always go hunting the day after Thanksgiving. They were surprised that there was nobody else hunting in the area. I saw they had a Fort Lewis sticker on their pickup. I assumed they were stationed there. I just said have a good day and drove on. Deer season had closed the last day of October and you can't shoot does. Oh well they were GI's so I wouldn't drop a dime on them. I hope they made it out of the hill without running into a warden. And I hoped they read the game laws before the next year.

For years my home county allowed one doe each year to be taken. I did not check the game laws as I should for I only hunted on my farm and did not even have to have a license.
Well, one year they made our county a "Buck Only"county. I went out from the house to the back hayfield and had a nice fat doe down within 30 minutes. Dutiful to the game laws, I called fish and wildlife for the number I needed to take it to the processor. They said they could not give me a number. I argued for 30 minutes with them, saying, "Look, I do this every year. Just give me the number". I quess they just got tired of me and gave me a number.
The next day in church they asked if anyone had any luck deer hunting. I proudly said I had taken a nice fat doe behind the house. Only when they questioned me did I realize I had broken the law.

Latest posts