Opening morning deer rifle in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
Good luck and stay safe.
I'm hunting with the grandkids in Leon county this weekend.
One friend is hunting the Coleman county place, another friend is hunting the Burleson county place.
The nice cold "30*" mornings are gone, lows in the 50's highs in the 70's.
The bucks are rutting so you never know.

Good luck. We were out putting up a new double tree stand yesterday and saw a really good buck. Lots around - all fat. We had a super easy winter last year (mud all year - ugh), so very little if any winter kill. Bulls are in rut now here.

This is one time of year I actually enjoy FB. I like seeing all the people get out and hunt with their families, especially those kids knocking them down.
Those memories shared with others make it all worthwhile. I still don't do FB myself, but my wife and kids do, so I still get to see most of the good pictures.

Did you see this? 14 year old girl in TX shoots a record buck. Well done, young lady!
My uncle worked as a Govt predation hunter on that arsenal for decades, right outside of New Boston Tx. He killed and trapped 100s of bobcats, coyotes, feral hogs and armadillos and had authority/permission to hunt deer. Got lots of mounts hanging on his walls but no deer that large. The reason for armadillo extermination is that they would bury into the big dirt covered ammunition bunkers. Sister called me today to tell me about this deer and the young girl. Evidently, my uncle and his offspring are somehow either kin to her and her family or know them well.
I wouldn't know her if I met her on the street.

Both my parents worked at RRAD in WW2.

BUT, (there's always a but)

It is said, that everyone has a double or doppelganger...

:cry:😲

doplegreta.jpg

Last edited:
I'm seeing plenty of does.
Are you seeing many fawns? Not sure what's going on around here, but the fawns are getting waxed. Coyotes or bobcats are most likely but that many? As in, the pups come back to the house with a fawn leg, spine, skull almost daily. We had a number of does with twins and 2 with triplets that I saw almost every morning in the alfalfa field, and I haven't seen a fawn down there in days. Mr TC has only seen a couple in his blind, which is a few miles northwest.

Are you seeing many fawns? Not sure what's going on around here, but the fawns are getting waxed. Coyotes or bobcats are most likely but that many? As in, the pups come back to the house with a fawn leg, spine, skull almost daily. We had a number of does with twins and 2 with triplets that I saw almost every morning in the alfalfa field, and I haven't seen a fawn down there in days. Mr TC has only seen a couple in his blind, which is a few miles northwest.
Coyote pair take out on average 20 fawns a year raising a litter. I don't know what the bobcat predation rate is.
I bet hogs take out more.

Baling corn stalks about dusk tonight I had 12 does in a group come across the corn field. Didn't see any antlers, but there are some pretty good scraps along one side of the field

Latest posts