Opening morning deer rifle in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

That looks like arm chair hunting, I could deal with that.

Ken
😄 That's a blind I built for my parents. It's pretty comfy. We have some good chairs, heater, battery powered fans, etc. It's 6x6 so it's kind of the family blind.

They started giving me excuses a few years back about being too cold.. or too this.. or that.. so we solved that. 🤣

Are you seeing many fawns? Not sure what's going on around here, but the fawns are getting waxed. Coyotes or bobcats are most likely but that many? As in, the pups come back to the house with a fawn leg, spine, skull almost daily. We had a number of does with twins and 2 with triplets that I saw almost every morning in the alfalfa field, and I haven't seen a fawn down there in days. Mr TC has only seen a couple in his blind, which is a few miles northwest.
Our fawn survival is very low, 10-15%. Maybe

My uncle worked as a Govt predation hunter on that arsenal for decades, right outside of New Boston Tx. He killed and trapped 100s of bobcats, coyotes, feral hogs and armadillos and had authority/permission to hunt deer. Got lots of mounts hanging on his walls but no deer that large. The reason for armadillo extermination is that they would bury into the big dirt covered ammunition bunkers. Sister called me today to tell me about this deer and the young girl. Evidently, my uncle and his offspring are somehow either kin to her and her family or know them well.
I wouldn't know her if I met her on the street.

Both my parents worked at RRAD in WW2.

BUT, (there's always a but)

It is said, that everyone has a double or doppelganger...

:cry:😲

View attachment 36730
Screenshot_20231108_071524_Chrome.jpg

Shot with a 350 Legend. She is going to do and interview for this podcast.

😄 That's a blind I built for my parents. It's pretty comfy. We have some good chairs, heater, battery powered fans, etc. It's 6x6 so it's kind of the family blind.

They started giving me excuses a few years back about being too cold.. or too this.. or that.. so we solved that. 🤣
I am fully aware there are huge differences around this big country. But sitting in an easy chair in a heated little house has nothing to do with hunting around here. But to each their own.

I am fully aware there are huge differences around this big country. But sitting in an easy chair in a heated little house has nothing to do with hunting around here. But to each their own.
Around here... hunting has little to do with killing some thing and they are way past trying to prove how tough they are... especially on the enet.

I get what you're saying Dave, but around here the parcels of land are so small (especially relative to where you are) it's about the only way. Sit and wait for them to come to you. And, we have so many there is an element of population control not just sport. Even with dog hunting and as many as you see laying beside the road there's deer everywhere. There were 10-12 does/fawns in my front yard this morning at daylight. If it had been 30 I wouldn't have been surprised. A real farm not far from me has damage stamps and a cooler full of deer hanging. Pretty sure they'd give you one if you asked.

I use to hunt for the excitement of the kill . Found deer sign and climbed a tree and waited . Didn't matter about the size of the rack just the fact I killed a buck . Then my boys started hunting. Then it became putting them on a deer . If they were successful I was successful. Now I don't use a climbing stand any more. I have 4 shooting houses I can go sit in . One 50 yards from the back door . It's more about sitting in the quiet , watching a sunset or sunrise. If I see a deer ;good , if I see a turkey ; great ! Too much work involved with killing one . I'll put 3-4 , usually does in the freezer and if I see a trophy buck I might shoot . Is this a sign of getting old ?

I use to hunt for the excitement of the kill . Found deer sign and climbed a tree and waited . Didn't matter about the size of the rack just the fact I killed a buck . Then my boys started hunting. Then it became putting them on a deer . If they were successful I was successful. Now I don't use a climbing stand any more. I have 4 shooting houses I can go sit in . One 50 yards from the back door . It's more about sitting in the quiet , watching a sunset or sunrise. If I see a deer ;good , if I see a turkey ; great ! Too much work involved with killing one . I'll put 3-4 , usually does in the freezer and if I see a trophy buck I might shoot . Is this a sign of getting old ?
No, it's a sign that we have finally learned to get excited about some of the simpler things in life, to slow down and enjoy.

Even before I quit hunting deer and rabbits in E Texas in late 1971, there was a huge difference in 'hunting' and 'shooting/killing. It ain't all that hard to put a round where you want it. The hard part is getting to that point.

The neighbor next to me back in East Tx. Deer stand? It started off that way.

DSC00516.JPG

and then it started growing....

DSC00628.JPG

deerstand2.png

I have a pic of it completed somewhere. Water cistern, small solar power cell, solar water heater with a shower underneath the thing.

Around here... hunting has little to do with killing some thing and they are way past trying to prove how tough they are... especially on the enet.
I am not talking about killing something or proving how tough you are. It is still in a stand waiting for something to show up. I would be bored to death. Apparently I am not the only one. Constructed stands or tree stands are unheard of here. I can sit on a ridge a glass a hill side for about 30 minutes and I am on the move. I rarely do that from the same spot. When I was younger it was common for me to cover 10+ miles a day hunting. At 72 the hills are taller and steeper than they use to be. Now I have to admit the last couple bucks I shot were shot off the back porch. But that was after hiking the hills and I had bucks I planned to take out of the gene pool.

I am not talking about killing something or proving how tough you are. It is still in a stand waiting for something to show up. I would be bored to death. Apparently I am not the only one. Constructed stands or tree stands are unheard of here. I can sit on a ridge a glass a hill side for about 30 minutes and I am on the move. I rarely do that from the same spot. When I was younger it was common for me to cover 10+ miles a day hunting. At 72 the hills are taller and steeper than they use to be. Now I have to admit the last couple bucks I shot were shot off the back porch. But that was after hiking the hills and I had bucks I planned to take out of the gene pool.
Two different worlds. You can't walk around like that here.

I have 20 acres of woods close to house. We have maybe 4 tree stands and will put a tent blind. 5 people can easily be out hunting and not disturb the others. And see deer the others did not.
I have several patches of woodland that have multiple tree stands. Love sitting and enjoy being in the woods.
I think 2 yrs ago was the only time I didn't kill one. But, I meat hunt. I don't care if it's a buck or doe. We get a buck and 2 doe tags.
Now, I can just call my nephew and say I got 1 down and he comes and guts and drags for me. 😆 convenient to play the old lady card.

This is like the math deal, if you haven't done both you don't really understand the other.

The deal with walking is not a lack of land to walk, its visibility and the deer are smart to hunters. You cant get on a point and glass a thousand yards and then stalk to some thing. You turn a corner here and you have a couple hundred yards at best of visibility and most likely they already busted you and are running off. With high deer population areas that are hunter savvy it's very hard to sneak up on a Whitetail.

Here the deer season last 10 days. The limit is one buck. It is a draw for a tag. There is presently 825 tags available. There was 2,539 people who put this unit as their first choice. So the odds are 1 in 3 that you will draw a tag. There is also a program for "landowner preference" tags (LOP) which allows you to only hunt on your own property. They are based on the number of acres you own. I should technically get 3 tags a year (I am still limited to get one deer myself). There is competition for those too. The last 2 years I only got one LOP tag.

This is like the math deal, if you haven't done both you don't really understand the other.

The deal with walking is not a lack of land to walk, its visibility and the deer are smart to hunters. You cant get on a point and glass a thousand yards and then stalk to some thing. You turn a corner here and you have a couple hundred yards at best of visibility and most likely they already busted you and are running off. With high deer population areas that are hunter savvy it's very hard to sneak up on a Whitetail.
I shot 5 or 6 Whitetails in NE Washington. All of them what you would call 8 pointers. All of them what use to be call still hunting in areas with less than 150 yards of visibility.

Latest posts