Irish Black Boasting?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
Irish Blacks are homozygous, or 100% genetically dominant.
I clipped this from a website. Seems that would be very tough to prove.

Selecting and using an Irish Black Bull means all of the top quality breed traits of that bull will pass to his resulting calves.
Same source

Very Brazen and seems a little presumptuous unless the genome was completely mapped and all relevent genes catologued then tested for. Obviously all must test positive for every gene in the genestar test right...?

The reality is that these cattle interest me very much but the absolutism makes me nervous. I eagerly await your opinions

These cattle also interested me for awhile too. Seemed like they would breed well onto a group of hereford cows. But after talking with the guy who developed the breed it kind of put me off. As I talked more with people who had used the bulls and seen the cattle there were issues with temperment and feet, that was the general consensus. I wanted to bring a 3-5 bulls up into Canada and he told me no way, because he has Copyrighted the name and our copyright laws are different, therefore he wouldnt send any bulls up here. DOC HARRIS was working closely with them and he knows alot about the cattle. He has been through the herd alot.

They're not boasting. They're promoting the breed. Ask for proof or buy a bull and you'll know one way or another. I think such claims tend to make some people wary though.

Beef11":2wr7hb9k said:
Irish Blacks are homozygous, or 100% genetically dominant.
I clipped this from a website. Seems that would be very tough to prove.

Selecting and using an Irish Black Bull means all of the top quality breed traits of that bull will pass to his resulting calves.
Same source

Very Brazen and seems a little presumptuous unless the genome was completely mapped and all relevent genes catologued then tested for. Obviously all must test positive for every gene in the genestar test right...?

The reality is that these cattle interest me very much but the absolutism makes me nervous. I eagerly await your opinions

Just ask yourself one question. How can a composite breed be 100% dominant?

I just can't buy the propaganda as good as they may be. I want to be able to see where the real cattle end and the myth begins because the myth part is hard to sell in the ring or on the rail.

Beef11":l0735vlh said:
I just can't buy the propaganda as good as they may be. I want to be able to see where the real cattle end and the myth begins because the myth part is hard to sell in the ring or on the rail.
Beef11-

A subject may always be talked and mauled to death with rhetoric, but facts seem to dissuade unconfirmed reports, suppositions, implications and contentions. It seems ironic that the subject of "Irish Blacks" forges to the point of discussion - recurrently - and is subject to negative connotations, usually without the benefit of legitimate information, resulting in "Condemnation Before Investigation!" But, isn't that the case with most argumentative and seeming contentious discussions relating to breeds of beef cattle?

The experiences, INVESTIGATION, and interviews that I had with the Irish Blacks and several of the IB breeders, and Veterinarians, and the Regional Purina Feed Sale Manager in Colorado Springs, and a Butcher/Locker Owner were inspiring, and instilled enthusiasm in me for the breed, and it's potential in the Beef Industry. The tenderness, flavor, marbling, and lack of external fat that I observed was unique and outstanding compared to most other 'beef eating' experiences of which I have partaken- and in 84 years I have eaten a lot of cow! That is not to say that it was the best - but I can't remember any better - any time! Ever!

My suggestion to anyone who might be interested in delving more deeply into the Irish Blacks subject woud be to Research my (DOC HARRIS) Archives on CattleToday (Subject: Irish Blacks), peruse the Irish Blacks website, contact either Maurice Boney (970/587-2252) or Guy Gould, [email protected], (970/483-5148), and do "first-person-investigation" to your own satisfaction and personal knowledge. That way, you will forego any second and third hand opinions, and get right to the "meat" of the subject!

DOC HARRIS

Nah I think I will pass. If they werent a myth everyone would own them.
tncattle467
Rancher

tnc-

Hm-m-m-m- Now THERE is a remark which justifies in-depth discernment! If what you declare is true, perhaps you can determine why "EVERYONE" does not own Ford Trucks, Drink Coca Cola, live in Los Angeles, genuflect at the feet of Opra Winfrey, play World-class Hockey, or use Charmin UltraSoft toilet paper.

To each his own.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, my question to you would be, do you believe the claims quoted in the original post are legitimate or are they being advertised as something they are not?

tncattle, I don't know you but I think you would find the negative side of a winning lottery ticket. Just because you don't know what your talkin about doesn't make it bad. I for one have never heard of IB and found it interesting. Anything to make my cows better and make a better eating expierence for my customers is always worth a listen. I have only been in the cattle buisness 11 years and only on this forum for a few weeks but one thing I know, when someone has been around cattle as long as Doc( and he doesn't know me either) I'm going to listen. :tiphat:

The only reply that I can attest to is what I have written previously. I haven't had any contact with the breed for two years, and what is happening to the individuals currently - I can't verify. My original opinions were as I just told you, and I do know that the dressing percentages and appearance of the meat as it came off of the saw and knives were astounding! Much better than what I worked with in "Meats" classes in College!

Again, I suggest that you do your own IN DEPTH investigation. Then you will KNOW for YOURself. Considering what I have seen for MYself - it would be worth it.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2etneeqn said:
The only reply that I can attest to is what I have written previously. I haven't had any contact with the breed for two years, and what is happening to the individuals currently - I can't verify. My original opinions were as I just told you, and I do know that the dressing percentages and appearance of the meat as it came off of the saw and knives were astounding! Much better than what I worked with in "Meats" classes in College!
Sorry Doc but I just have to ask' Was that Brontosaurus or Stegasaurus?
Again, I suggest that you do your own IN DEPTH investigation. Then you will KNOW for YOURself. Considering what I have seen for MYself - it would be worth it.

DOC HARRIS

I really am sorry Doc the Devil made me do it :cowboy:

3waycross":18otyr3m said:
DOC HARRIS":18otyr3m said:
Sorry Doc but I just have to ask' Was that Brontosaurus or Stegasaurus?

DOC HARRIS

I really am sorry Doc the Devil made me do it :cowboy:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: GASP! - GASP - whee-e-e-z-z!! Don't be sorry! The only thing that disturbs me is that I didn't think about it before someone else did! :tiphat: :cry2: Fred Flintstone just emailed me with a strong chastisement and dropped a boulder on my foot! :roll: :shock: :banana:

Very cute, Vic! Very cute! I'll get you later - believe me! :devil2:

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts