Identify The Snake

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
This critter and a friend recently showed up at my low-water bridge/favorite fishin' hole. I try to only kill the poisonous ones but this one is unidentified. Kill it or not?
Snakes_003.jpg

I purposely did not zoom in when taking the picture so it would come out clear with lots of pixels. If you magnify it, it comes up pretty clear.

to me looks like a freindly garden snake if you really want to know touch it if it bites and hurts it poisinous... (easiest way to tell) :D

I don't have the software to crop and enlarge it. If anyone wants to go thru the trouble, just right click on it, add it to your pictures, zoom it and look close, then delete it.

Another dry summer, another batch of strange things showin' up at the creek. Lately it's been cats. Nearest house is almost a mile away.

I've never seen one in person, but from pics it has the color of a rattlesnake, did it have the pit vipers, 2 holes on each side of its mouth area? That means it has fangs and is the poisonous kind.

GMN

GMN":1ghcbd5h said:
I've never seen one in person, but from pics it has the color of a rattlesnake, did it have the pit vipers, 2 holes on each side of its mouth area? That means it has fangs and is the poisonous kind.

GMN
why couldnt you have told him to touch it i wanted to see the next post he makes named "THANKS ALOT SHOWMAN IM IN THE HOSPITAL" oh well but great advice... also did it curl up when you saw it or run away?

Looks like a cottonmouth to me. Could be a brown water snake too but I don't think ya'll have these in Kentucky. Just paint it blue and let it go so it can't scare anybody. :lol2:

Hasbeen":7ctfgbaq said:
also did it curl up when you saw it or run away?

Actually it just posed till I finished taking the picture. I sold it some wallet sized and three 8x10s.

ok why i asked is becuase its called the 70-30 of snakes...... if it curls up you got 70% of ooppsss it bit me or 30% of it missed im lucky....

if it runs you got a 30% of i cant find it and a 70% of ouch that hurt

Jogeephus":7ctfgbaq said:
Just paint it blue and let it go so it can't scare anybody. :lol2:

great idea... put it in some ones bed

Jogeephus":6uxfpdv4 said:
Looks like a cottonmouth to me. Could be a brown water snake too but I don't think ya'll have these in Kentucky. Just paint it blue and let it go so it can't scare anybody. :lol2:
Jo why do you like painting them blue???? I must say that snake did look better for it. :lol2: :lol2:

we came up on a cottonmouth free fer all, while fishing one day when i was a kid. lucky we were up high on a bank looking down, there looked to be 50 or more of em. still get chill bumps thinking about them

ALACOWMAN":2gigfe2d said:
we came up on a cottonmouth free fer all, while fishing one day when i was a kid. lucky we were up high on a bank looking down, there looked to be 50 or more of em. still get chill bumps thinking about them
did you touch 'em to see if they were poisinous... VERY IMPORTANT ITS TEH #1 STEP TO DO IF YOU FIND A SNAKE!!!!!!!!!! :cboy:

chrisy":2v3zwmgq said:
Jogeephus":2v3zwmgq said:
Jo why do you like painting them blue???? I must say that snake did look better for it. :lol2: :lol2:

I was just making fun since I caught a lot of flack over doing it. But snakes have a way of just APPEARING out of nowhere and when they do they really make your heart beat. The one I painted struck my snake chaps and scared the begeeshus out of me and when I finally returned to earth the only thing I had in my hand was my paint gun and I just let her have it in retaliation for the bite. I figure she got off easy with a new paint job and she sure wouldn't be sneaking up on anyone for a few days anyhow. :nod:

Jogeephus":2242fi8u said:
Tried to blow it up but it loses clarity. Here is a link to kentucky snakes with some good pictures. I didn't see banded water snake on the site so I might be right about that. Maybe this will be helpful.

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/search.cf ... -posionous

Thanks, that's a very good site. It says there are only four species of poisonous snakes in Ky, only two in my are. I guess I'll let it live.

Maybe.

Latest posts