I hate it when people brag!

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Unless it's me :D . Came home today and went to the back door cause I lost my front door key. Looked out across the pasture and seen old Wylie Coyote trotting down the 40 acre fence line. I reached inside and grabbed the 30-06. Dropped him at a trot with one shot. Measured it at 374 yards. And in this case he was a little coyote. :cowboy:

WOW- another accidental shooting! I accidentally hit one at 391 paces many years ago. It was prety hard to get my hat back on that afternoon.

According to my bullet drop calculator, it looks like you might have "bombed" him with your bullet instead of broadsideing him. Makes no difference, he's still dead! Congratulations!

3waycross":swl6dles said:
With the 30-06. Wow!!!!!!!! how much did you hold over at that distance?
I don't really know. I haven't even held the gun in a year. Just picked my spot and tried to get it about a foot and a half up but I was so disappointed in my self for flinching I almost fell over dead when he dropped :D . I ain't known for being the greatest shot. UNTILL TODAY! :lol: :lol:

I have a feeling he will be trying to lose his key again every few days now in hopes he can see another coyote and try it again.

Circle H Ranch

Isomade":82lluree said:
Unless it's me :D . Came home today and went to the back door cause I lost my front door key. Looked out across the pasture and seen old Wylie Coyote trotting down the 40 acre fence line. I reached inside and grabbed the 30-06. Dropped him at a trot with one shot. Measured it at 374 yards. And in this case he was a little coyote. :cowboy:
I use to make coyote shots like that all the time. But it was only about 50 yards and the yotes were bigger. :cowboy: :lol2: :lol2:

good shooting.....

I too would rather be lucky than good. was once many years ago.

Shot at a large bird one time sitting in a tree about a hundred yards away with a 22 pistol.

calving going on and the scouts got there fore I did. brave ones did not fly away. aggravated me. I stuck pistol out the window and pulled the trigger just to make a little noise. bugger fell dead with a hole in his little ear thingy.

Luck! Now if you would have gotten out that spotting scope, calculated the distance, factored in the wind direction, Wylie would have stopped and laughed at you when you let go of that shot.

I am certainly assuming you weren't shooting a 220 grain round :) What grain was it?

backhoeboogie":2elcojtk said:
Luck! Now if you would have gotten out that spotting scope, calculated the distance, factored in the wind direction, Wylie would have stopped and laughed at you when you let go of that shot.

I am certainly assuming you weren't shooting a 220 grain round :) What grain was it?

I wouldn't even attempted that shot. If we had pictures Isom most likely shot the neighbors great pyrenees and called it a yote. :lol2: Still a good shot.

Nice shot! About 8 yrs ago I was deer hunting here in florida. There was a doe about 400 yds out. When I put the scope on her (30.06, 3-9x40) the cross hairs blocked her body out pretty well since Fl deer are not much bigger than a dog. I held over 18 inches and hit her. She ran about 40 yds and dropped. Once I walked to her, I saw I hit her 4 inches low and a maybe 4 inches back. Best shot I ever made with factory ammo.

I shot at a chicken hawk sitting in the top of a tree about 500 yards away. Missed five times. I don't even know if the bullet went that far. It was a .17 caliber.

GA, I shot at one of those recently with the shotgun. Full choke turkey loads. Knocked it right off the fence post and it hit the ground feathers flying and all. I turned around and walked away when it suddenly took off and lit in a tree. Stupid birds

Chicken hawks (sharp shinned hawks and coopers hawks) love to hang around my cow pasture. They feed on killdeers, meadowlarks, quail, young turkeys, and other birds. I can drop them like a rock with the .17 ballistic tips out to 100 yds or so if they sit still for a few seconds.

Caustic Burno":zrssqfbj said:
backhoeboogie":zrssqfbj said:

I wouldn't even attempted that shot. If we had pictures Isom most likely shot the neighbors great pyrenees and called it a yote. :lol2: Still a good shot.
:clap: :lol2: :clap: :hide:

The one and only time I've ever mixed guns and alcohol I got fed up with all of my drunk buddies being mad at me for being a stick in the mud so I finally grabbed a .22 rifle laying on the tailgate and popped off a really quick round at a squirrel standing on a fence post about a hundred yards away.
A few of the guys are smart enough that when they sobered up they figured out how lucky I was but the rest of them are dumb enough that I'm still known as a good shot and a quick draw. :D

backhoeboogie":3tgl3aou said:

It was a 180 grain round. And in all seriousness it was absolute luck. It had been so long since I shot any rifle bigger than a .22 I flinched. I used to deer hunt a lot and have taken a couple from 200-250 yards but that was years ago. The yote however wasn't my luckiest shot. 11 years ago I dropped a doe at 240 yards she was at a dead run and I hit her in the ear hole. I have also missed broadside shots from 80 yards when they were standing dead still.

Latest posts