How'd they get black?

Help Support CattleToday:

So if it is black and Limo / black and simm / black and Maine / black and whatever - can it qualify for CAB?

If that is the case what good is CAB?

I think I will step out of this discussion now.

Bez

Bez":2v3d2na7 said:
So if it is black and Limo / black and simm / black and whatever - can it qualify for CAB?

Bez

Caustic has taught you well Bez. Jab that stick once or twice then dissapear. :lol:

certherfbeef":hwkubicj said:
Bez":hwkubicj said:
So if it is black and Limo / black and simm / black and whatever - can it qualify for CAB?

Bez

Caustic has taught you well Bez. Jab that stick once or twice then dissapear. :lol:

Honest question. I believe it deserves an honest answer. Will one be forthcoming?

Bez

MikeC":3ujdvjvk said:

A partial answer only - how about the second part?

I might also add - if it is black and not Angus but qualifies for CAB - does this mean CAB is a setup for those who would pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer?

Integrity? Honesty? What happens to them?

Bez

S.R.R.":2gj9kdni said:
O.K. show me one study that shows that the black in black Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Maine angou comes from Angus. And I will give. Almost forgot how about the black hereford as well. :p :p ;-)

Is it about "coming from Angus"? I don't think so. It's about those Assoc.'s allowing breeding up. Been doing it from years, and Iv'e never heard any of them brag about a welsh black doing it for them!

Here is a quote from "SRR" on the boards. (SRR from "Canada")

Welsh Black a breed that has the beef, the fast growth and of course the color black. Alot of breeds that have turned black have angus in them here is one that is black on its own. What do you know good or bad about this breed? Some of the bull testing I have seen and EFI look real good.

Here is a quote from Farmer rich in England

There is also a reason why welsh black is not popular here, this is due to their smaller size, lower growth rates and poorer confirmation when compared to the continental breeds as well as the more popular british ones. Not an attempt to discredit, just pointing out a fact, and remember we are supplying different markets that require a different sort of animal....

Now SSR, why would the other breeds breed up with a more inferior animal. Why not use the bull with more performance and size to breed up! No to mention Homozygous polled. welsh blacks are horned! :p :)

Bez":34ukh0vz said:
MikeC":34ukh0vz said:

A partial answer only - how about the second part?
I might also add - if it is black and not Angus but qualifies for CAB - does this mean CAB is a setup for those who would pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer?
Integrity? Honesty? What happens to them?
Bez

ViaGen DNA test reveals poor beef labelling

04/08/2004 - Up to 50 per cent of US retail beef carrying a label with the name 'Angus' does not meet the USDA criteria for Angus branding, according to a recent DNA test.

Two tests were performed on multiple brands of steaks purchased from retail outlets across central Texas. To get a better handle on the scope of the problem, ViaGen, the US-based animal genomics firm that carried out the experiment, followed up with an analysis of meat from four geographic regions sold under a single brand name.

The results were the same in both cases, indicating this is an industry-wide issue and is not brand or region specific.

Labels containing the word 'Angus' are generally an indicator of top quality meat. Branded beef originated when the American Angus Association created the Certified Angus Beef (CAB) designation in 1978 to boost standards and help consumers reliably identify good beef.

Other independent Angus labels followed. Currently, the determination of the amount of Angus is made by a visual inspection of the whole animal. DNA analysis now shows that manual inspection is not always accurate.

The experiment was carried out using AnguSure and Inducator, two new testing kits developed by ViaGen. The tests separately assess the two most common criteria employed in branded beef programmes certified by the USDA: a minimum of 50 per cent Angus (AnguSure) and minimal Brahman influence (Inducator).

"The industry is doing the best they can with the technology available. But these new tests enable producers, consumers and retailers to benefit from increased brand integrity," said Sara Davis ViaGen president.

About three quarters of the samples that failed one or both tests had higher than desired Brahman influence. While a particularly well-suited breed for hot, southern climates, too much Brahman is associated with increased toughness and poor eating quality. Beef that passes both the AnguSure and Inducator tests should therefore ensure consumer satisfaction.

Testing can also be performed on live animals, which ViaGen argues benefits everyone involved in the production and sale of beef.

Offspring of a bull certified as 100 per cent Angus automatically meet the first criterion for Angus branding. Precertification of live cattle allows ranchers to obtain premium prices for their livestock and helps packers ship beef to wholesalers with absolute confidence in quality.

The tests require only a small blood, hair or meat sample to be shipped to the company's lab. Test results can be delivered in as little as two days. ViaGen expects all parts of the industry, from producers to end users, will take advantage of the offerings. The company claims that the tests will be affordably priced to help many industry segments ensure product quality.

Rustler9":1d8uo5wa said:
Brandonm2 wrote:
I went to one show in NC a few years back and actually had to start reading some of the name tags to know whether I was looking at a limo, a Simmental, or a regular Angus. With some of them, they were just Black....others could pass themselves off as a distant relation of Black cap.

You know that's exactly how it is when I go to a state fair and look at the different breeds that are black, I can't tell what I'm looking at unless I read the farm or ranch sign. It's not that I have anything against black cattle but why does everyone want them to all look alike? Even Beefmaster is now breeding them black. I used to raise registered Beefmasters and never saw a black one in those days unless it was crossed with something else. The black Beefmasters that I've seen pictures of look like a Brangus especially since they're breeding them polled as well.

The black color is on high demand on the market cause when their black it usually means they have angus which is servered in resteraunts where it is known for great taste, and the taste has to do something with the marbeling i heard.

certherfbeef":3205s2ww said:

Speaking of caustic, have not seen him post lately or am I missing them?

Angus in the woodpile is how they got black. Dug under the gene pool fence when no one was lookin ;-). So when you buy Black simms limms herefords you are swiming in the Angus septic tank.

Caustic Burno":2zzb4xov said:
So when you buy Black simms limms herefords you are swiming in the Angus septic tank.

This is down right hilarious!! But, you did mean semen tank right Caustic? Not septic tank???

Now Caustic be gentle on us poor angus folks. We must have been doing something right if everybody wants to copy us (just look at simmental magazine).

S R R

I can show you any number of good angus herds that were crossed up any of the continental breeds just to make them black and grade on the rail.

Angus Guy":1g3i7vh3 said:
Now Caustic be gentle on us poor angus folks. We must have been doing something right if everybody wants to copy us (just look at simmental magazine).

I don't have anything agaist Angus as long as it's Angus.
The Beef industry is heading the way of the Dairy there gene pool is so shallow now it doesn't have a deep end any longer.
That presents a whole set of other problems.
I still want to know how those little Aberdeen Angus that weighed 800 to a 1000 pounds got to be so big.

Not trying to be a smarta-- it seems that the hereford and shorthorn breeds had the same problem. I think there were some herds that didn't go small when the rest did. Not going to say there wasn't some breeding up going on.

Those little 800 to 1000 lb Angus got so big the same way that the little 800 to 1000 lb Herefords did. The small Eastern herds were dispersed and the larger herds in the western states stayed around and kept breeding larger cattle to replace the little belt buckles.
The Angus Assn opened up the AI rules so that a bull could be used outside his owners herd. This was a major factor in producing larger Angus.

Latest posts